• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice fishing boots -- this is my thought

I have been looking at Ice fishing/Still hunting cold weather boots for a long time. There are some things I like about all of the boots I have found. One thing I did not like was the price. Ice Kings, Ice stalkers etc can run $150 --

I recently read a post about boots and MANY people were talking up the Military Bunny/Mickey boots. My dad had a pair in the service and he said they were the best boots he had ever had.

Well, you know we never totally believe our dads --

I just got a pair off of e-bay and boy were they cheap and they work awesome.

If your feet get cold I would suggest a pair of these. They will not get wet and wow -- I am sold.

Hitman

I used to have a pair of these when i was in high school.

until i wore them out. Doing chores and hunting my feet never did get col, but never were able to find them. Are they new or used when you bought off of ebay. Also any idea

of the ice condition in the Perham -Dent area.

They were New on e-bay. The Military quit making them -- cheap people. It was a cost issue.

Perham area is going well -- most lakes have 6 inches, so I hear.

Ha about 3 weeks ago i was in this same delimma and i finally broke down and got the bunny boots. i have put them to the test being active. I remove snow durring the winter season, and i used them durring the last storm. they are deffinatly warm but feet get a little sore after shoveling for 11 hrs. but the first 10 were excellent, i woiuld immagine though if you werent walking around that much, that they would feel ok. hope you like them, i do. but you need long socks to keep the rubber on the top of the boot off of the back of your calf.

After shoveling for 11 hours I think my feet would be the least of my aches and pains blush.gif

Glad to hear the first 10 hours went ok of you though grin.gif

Just make sure you are getting the real beta boots. There are many knock-off out there and they are not all the same. The white ones are extreme cold weather and the black ones are for less extreme temps. Also, make sure they have the air valve on the side, open the valve and blow into the chamber to inflate slightly, then close the valve. This helps with the warmth because they are a "vapor barrior' boot.

I have owned several pairs living in Alaska. Another good idea is to spray em down with armorall before putting them away for the summer, it keeps them from cracking from dry rot.

One more thing about buying used boots from ebay.. when I was in Alaska they issued us a pair when I took Arctic Survival training. The warmest it got outside in 4 days afield was -48 degrees, coldest was -63. This is ambient air temp. Anyway, when we crawled into our tomb sized shelter for the night, the boots stayed outside. In the morning you had to urinate in them, swirl it around and dump it before putting your feet in. They insulate the cold as well as heat so that kept your feet from freezing. Hope you didn't get one of "those" pairs..LOL

Ice kings are well worth the $150. Lacrosse boots are some of the best money can buy. I do agree however that those military boots are sweet.

I use Columbia Ice Dragons. Rated to -60 (ya like I would beleive that when I bought them). I bought these lite weight hiking style boot for work, but I can not wear them for work, way to warm. Yup thats right to warm. IF I am working I can't wear em. IF I am driving I cant wear em, so I keep a set of ice cleats attached to them, and put them on when I get to the lake. I spent about $100 at skeels 2-3 years ago

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.