• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Going up Sat. Morning

PaulEyes

So has anyone been catching any perch? A buddy and I are heading up in the morning and are wondering where to go. Lybecks or Appeldoorns? Any help would be great. Have sled so distance is not an issue. Thanks

There haven't been many people out yet that I have seen or talked with. I do know of one get getting perch though smile.gif

Hey Paul. Ive never fished perch over by you. Stayed in one of the sleepers last year and had the time of my life. Do you have any ideas of where to go to find perch if we come up by you on Sat. morning? Just point us in a direction that might pay off and I'll do the rest. I have a H2O with lakemaster chip, and a camera just need a little advise on where to go.

Man it was cold Sat crazy.gif. We fished Shaws Reef all day due to auger problems. Marked fish all day and caught about 15 perch but only 2 keepers. I want to thank Paul at Appeldoorns for the help with the auger and also to the two guys that drilled some more holes for us. It was the first time out this year so I was just happy to be fishing the pond cool.gif. There was about 7-8 inches of ice out at Shaws and plenty of ice in the bays. Wish I had better news to report but after I get my carb kit for the auger I'll be back at it and hopefully giving better reports.

Hey Pauleyes,

I am heading to the big water Monday Mornin, what area would you recomend fishing? Thanks

Schoogs I'm no pro at any means but I my advise would be to keep moving and you'll be much happier at the end of the day.

1. Find Em'

2. Fish Em'

Paul,

Do you have access at Appledorn's?? I have a wheeler, is the travel to Shaws and areas near Shaws possible with the wheeler?? Do you have bait? I have heard good things about your resort, and would like to stop there and check the resort out.

Thanks, smile.gif

I was out of Appledorn's Friday and Saturday. Fished Shaw's- 2 walleyes and 1 jumbo(11") all weekend. Great access and a 4-wheeler will be adequate. Only about 8" of snow and very little slush. 7" of ice on Shaws.

PS: Talked with Paul Friday night after fishing. Great guy and lots of info. Thanks Paul for the info and tales.

Joe,

Yes, we have access. Wheeler travel is becoming more and more possible as we extend our road and the cold compresses and firms up the snow.

We will have minnows and waxies starting next weekend. Stop in anytime, if just to say hi smile.gif

Pertaining to wheeler travel, I saw numerous people out in the Isle Bay area that were using wheelers. Some of them were doing just fine, some of them were not moving too fast at all. I guess it all depends on what kind of wheeler you have, engine size, tire quality, and what your pulling behind you. It's possible, but the snowmobile is obviously a much better option. Or you can be like the guy in Isle Bay and just drive your truck out there already!!!!

PAUL W. - When you get minnows next week will you have larger shiners and suckers available?? By "larger" I mean 7-9 inchers. Thanks.

GoggleEye

You must like catching the "Big Boys" using Shiners/suckers that size. Makes for a fun trip if you only catch one all weekend!!!! grin.gif

You must like catching the "Big Boys" using Shiners/suckers that size. Makes for a fun trip if you only catch one all weekend!!!! grin.gif

Have you ever tried (or I'm not sure if you can get them) large redtails ???

Post photos of those big boys. Give me a shout!!

[email protected]

I hit the west side sat. 8 am to 6 pm-limit of perch 9-12 inches biggest was 12.25 inches. got 4 eyes one 19 incher 2 24's and a really fat 27 incher-all eyes caught on tip-up using very large 6-8 inch lake shinners they had at prince's bait. also got a 12 inch perch on a large shinner. pulled my shack 1.12 miles on the GPS I thought i ws going to die a few times but luckily I'm young and i made it back to shore,barely! What a long pull back in!

Hey GoogleEye - How do you rig those larger minnows on tip ups for walleyes? Do you use quick strike rigs, plain jig, etc.? I would think a single hook isn't enough to snag a fat walleye if one latches on. How big of a minnow do you use on a dead stick? And same question do you use just a jig or....?

Thanks, B-rad

You can use a plain jig, hook towards the tail. A single hook on a tip up as well. You need to let them make the initial run. Sometimes they will stop and turn the bait and take off again if that happens hit them when they take off the 2nd time and hold on.

TRZ did you run in to any cracks while walking out?? ice depth? also how far up the west side did you go?? any info wouold be great . thanks

What kind of a jig and what size. I'm assuming you want them to be able to move freely somewhat and have enough weight to keep them in the strike zone but not enough weight to the point where they are swimming all over the place.

I was in the garrison area, no cracks 6-10 inches of ice where i drilled holes. fished 12-18 ft of water. use a regular tip up rig with a shinner just use a mono leader about 5 feet, a plain red hook is good i prefer a large jig. you can hook the minnow through the dorsal just fine. like he said let it run a bit don't hammer it right away hit it on the second run and you'll get it 90% of the time. grin.gif

Bklimek, I rig my large suckers and shiners with a single hook or small weight jig with a larger shank hook. I cut off their tail to avoid minnow trips every couple minutes and sometimes even after doing this, they still will be able to trip the flag over and over. If they are doing this, I cut into their tail muscle just enough so that they can barely swim, but it doesn't stress them too much that they die. After a fish takes it, I let them run with it for at least a few minutes if not longer. Usually they will hook themselves in the mouth or swallow it (remember, you are fishing for big walleyes with minnows this big and they have no problem inhaling those huge baits even with a large hook in it). Just remember to cut the line as close as you can to the hook if they swallow it and get them back in the drink asap. With my deadstick set-up, I use the same stuff and use a big bobber that just barely keeps the bait from taking it under. That way the fish can't feel much resistance when it takes the bait. I also leave my bail open. It's hard to do, but you absolutely have to let them run with the bait for at least a few minutes and let them start to eat it. If you set the hook right away, you will probably pull up a wounded minnow that you just ripped out of a chunky walleye's mouth!! I wouldn't recommend this style of fishing if you like to catch a lot of fish, because you aren't going to catch a lot. I usually only catch a couple or few fish when I fish like this, but it is worth it to me if I get just one big one. That's why I go to ML. I could care less about eaters, I can catch them here in the metro. Good Luck.

Rodmaker- Never used the large redtails as I have never seen a baitshop that has anything over 4 or 5 inches. I wish I had a picture of the fat 27 incher I caught on Saturday but my camera battery was dead and then I dropped the battery down the hole when I took it out to look at it! confused.gif I would have took a pic of the next big one I caught, but my battery was already laying on the lake floor. Here are some others caught in ML with big suckers in years past....

click for picture of sucker chomping walleye

click for sucker chomping walleye

click for sucking chomping walleye

My ex's sucker eating monster

My buddies monster walleye

GoggleEye

That's cool...I'm going to have to try that this year. I always look at them in the tank and think they are way to big! I'm not the guy that is out to catch fish to bring to the table. I enjoy catching the piggies. Sorry for all the questions but how far off the bottom do you typically have those big baits set?

Sunday I was up by Fishers. Fished the 1st rock pile about a half a mile out. Caught and kept 3 eyes. came back in to the edge of the drop Sunday night. Got 10 decent sized perch. There were 2 permanent houses out a 1/2 mile. About 7 inches of ice out that far. Don't think I would go any further than that. Out for about 6 hours on Sunday.

Lots of frozen slush on the ice up there.

Don't be afraid to ask questions!!! That's what FM is about sharing helpful info. and making everyone better fisherman grin.gif

GoogleEye,

Nice fish!!!!! Try the bigger hooks in glow color also, or a single glow bead above the hook.

If you need someone else to go up with, give me a shout [email protected]

I'll help with expenses!!!!

a foot off will work good, the minoow will swim up a bit but if a fish is hungry he'll hit it! go lower if you use a plain hook.

Rodmaker- I will definitely give you a shout to head up sometime! I am always looking for fishing partners for the pond. I won't be able to get back up there till after New Year's though as I am going to be really busy the next few weekends. I will let you know when I plan to head up next!

Bklimek- How far off the bottom I set them is dependent upon what depth I am fishing and what the adjacent structure is. If I am fishing shallow (15 feet or less), I set them right on the bottom or a foot off. If I am fishing medium depths (15-25) I usually set them 2 feet to 6 feet off bottom. If I am fishing deep (25-45 ft), I set them 8-20 feet off bottom. In relation to adjacent structure, if you are fishing the deep water (say 25 foot depth) edge of a 15 foot flat, then I will set them about 14 feet down (11 feet off bottom) because a lot of those fish are coming off the top of the flat at 14-15 feet below the surface and run right into your bait as they enter the deep water edge. A lot of the fish are coming up out of the depths to feed on top of the flat too and will smash your bait from below as they make there way up that deep water edge. Now this is only my opinion and I am sure that there ae guys that do just as good as me or better and fish totally different. It's all about personal preference and what has worked for you. Good luck experimenting, that's half the fun. grin.gif

GoggleEye

Sounds good. Looking forward to it!!! I'll have the camera ready grin.gif

I may have a shot on going up for a day 12/26 - 12/29.

I'll give you my cell also. 763-639-4659. [email protected]

can I get your e-mail also??

Good luck if you make it up on the 26th! Unfortunately I will be 7 hours away from Mille Lacs visiting family for the holidays....I probably shouldn't say "unfortunately" though, I like my family! Anyways, my email is [email protected]

GoggleEye

Heading down to Southern Mn. to celebrate Christmas at the In-laws on 12/22 & 12/23. Heading back 12/24 am. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and it won't be too cold to go.

I'll shoot you an e-mail in the next day or so.