• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice making thoughts?

Obviously we are dog-gone cold today. They say were are going to be very cold for the next few days.

I want to put my big house out on Pelican, but the snow makes it a little freaky, to say the least.

What are people thinking about the ice, snow and slush? I am sure we would have a foot on all lakes by now if we didn't have the snow. Any thoughts to what it takes to get ice with the heavy amounts of snow?

Snow will act as insulation, as you all know, but when it is this could for 24 hours and the next few days have a chance at -20, will we all be "Safe" to put houses out next weekend? What is the proper formula?

Any thoughts? Even better if you had some experiences.

Krebs -- you are old, just kidding, what have you seen?

Minnow Man, DeadHead any thoughts?

Anyone?

Buehler?

It is hard to say how long it will take now. It sure would have been nice of the snow would have waited a week. Didn't this same thing happen a couple years ago with all the snow and slush? I remember having a heck of a time getting my portable pulled out with the wheeler because of all the slush and snow. I would be very careful when pulling out your house this weekend if you go. I heard a guy dropped his house in on Lida. Where he went through there was only 2 1/2 inches of ice and he was pulling a decent sized wheelhouse with a wheeler. Not real smart on the guys part. I did hear he got away without going for a swim and the house never went down all the way.

Hearing that kind of stuff cools my jets, that is for sure. Would really like to get out there, but it is hard to say. Can use the portable, but the wheeler might haver trouble in the snow as well. -- tough to say.

Thanks for the thoughts ...

Anyone else?

hitman,

have some patience my brother. I think you are jumping the gun a bit by wanting to put the big house on. If you remember, last year, most lakes just froze over on 12/5. I'm not even thinking about riding my sled on most lakes right now, let alone pulling out a permanent. I saw a bunch of spider holes yesterday punch through the ice in a few spots on a few area waters around here. NOT GOOD. That's something that they normally deal with up in the arrowhead.

You will need to wait until the slush freezes up solid before being able to pull a house out there easily. If the weather holds up, I bet you'd be able to get your house out by the week before xmas.

Fellas. We need to be careful out there. I was out on a small local lake last Friday and there was 5-6 inches of clear ice. Went to the same spot on Sunday and sploosh, in I went. Lucky I was only 30 yards or so from shore. Not sure what happened to all that ice but with this snow, things are risky. BE CAREFUL!!

Huntnfish - yeah that was two years ago with all that snow and slush... Ah yes I still remember one particularly snowy and slushy outing that we had during that year - my buddy and I went out to Pelican and I tried to hammer my old F150 through the snow and slush (I have a Clam sleeper and dragging that guy without a vehicle is horendous!!). So, I got about 10 yards out and you guessed it, we got stuck! So, my buddy got out and pushed while I gunned the engine and we made it back out... So then, knee deep in snow and ankle deep in slush, my buddy and I attempted to pull out the sleeper. Yuk! Probably the funniest part of that whole thing was this guy who rolled up in a brand new (I mean brand new) four wheeler only to watch us. When we asked if he could help us out, he says, "oh, I have nothing to pull with!?!" Um, how about your brand new 2006 Honda you're sitting on!?! Anyways, the guy watched us labor and struggle and then just mozied on. Wow! The stories I have like this in my arsenal are many!!

Very good reminders -- I need to relax a little.

I hear that other people are out so ....

You know how it is. The portable will have to work for a while.

Ok -- how much Ice can we expect it to make when it is really cold, yet have a lot of snow?

I would think we should make another 3 inches before the weekend with this extreme cold -- what do you guys think?

The only safe way to do it is to have 1 person walk ahead with a chisel and chop holes every 15-20 yards or less all the way to your spot, chopping as he goes to make sure there are no thin spots. Only then will you know that the ice is safe in those specific tracks. Second guy walks behind with a rope to toss to the lead guy if he falls in. Chop a hole or 2 where you want your house to be so it can flood then freeze, then come back a few days later with the house.

Hitman don't need to get to excited. Two years ago i put my big house out on pelican on this same upcoming weekend and by wed. we had to pull it off because all of the water and we were loosing ice. confused.gif Hang in there, we'll get out soon. Hopefully.

Hitman,

Ive been going out to that West side of Pelican for a number of years now,(friend has a cabin over there). We went out just before the storm and found 7 inches everytime we drilled. Obviously the snow is a big issue, I tend to agree with you on building ice, With the snow load, we should see about 2-3 inch increase by Sunday morning with the projected forecast ( just from my previous experinces). We use portables until drivable ice, I have a big house but it can only be driven by truck. A four wheeler is going to be tough going (12+ inches of snow) especially if your towing a decent size house (as already mentioned, 2 years ago many guys had trouble getting any houses on with a wheeler). My recommendation is to wait another week. Thats what Im doing. I dont have any worries about riding my sled out there now, Just keep it Pinned if you encounter soft spots cool.gif.

Hey hitman my house is already out, just give ma a call if ya want to come out fishin. Was just out there today looks a little slushy by shore but out looks good. give me a call 218-731-0329

And be carefull because that ice break is now hidden but and has a lot of pressure on it.