• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What do I gotta do?

Guest Kyle

I went out on sunday, sat from noon to dark. Nothing. Tons of tracks. Im sitting on the edge of a corn field that still has standing corn. There is bedding area that starts about 30yds from the corn, and then goes on for another 1/4 of a mile. I know these deer are coming out and walking around where Im sitting, but they must being doing it at night. I sat again last night and didnt see anything. What do I gotta do to get a deer with my bow? Im sitting on the ground, and have white camo on, and there is no way for a deer to come in from my back side because it is far to thick for even a squirrel to get through. You gotta see this spot, its absolutely awsome, but I cannot get a deer to come out! Ive tried calling, and that didnt do anything either. Any suggestions(other than just, "keep doing what your doing")?

Quote:

You gotta see this spot, its absolutely awsome

I just can't seem to visualize what the spot might look like, perhaps you could invite me over so I can see it firsthand??? cool.gif

The deer are there. The tracks prove it. Depending how much hunting pressure the area has had - it could stictly be nocturnal movement. They also may be bedding in the corn itself. Have you tried a morning hunt? Today would be a great day to be out with the snow encouraging all-day movement. Make sure to play the wind as to not blow 'em outta there. They're there... be persistent - you'll find em!

Another option may be to hunt it in the middle of the day. There have been many times when the deer have been moving during the heart of the day, especially when it is cold out.

Good Luck!

DL

Standing corn?!? If you've got standing corn then it may also be the bedding area, too. Especially in nasty weather. If you can get the chance, try a (corn) stalk hunt tomorrow after this snow stops. It's best to stalk right after a storm, because the snow is still quiet and not crunchy..

Hunter, I know the answer you didn't want is keep doing what your doing, but that may also be one of the most important. Sounds like you just started hunting here and need to give it some time. This time of year for me the deer seem to have their periods of activity more pronounced than earlier season. I'll go many times sitting without seeing deer, but usually when I do see deer, I see many in the same sitting. They are also grouped up more this time of year, so those tracks could have been made from a group of does and fawns strolling around. Would be nice to have a clearer image of the area you're sitting.

Like, S&S said they cetainly could be moving nocturnally also. This time of year that is easy to figure out without a trail cam. Deer show up very easily against the white snow at night if you put in a little time from a distance away. Another thing to do is make a foot path through the snow between the bedding and feeding area when you leave, if upon returning in the morning the deer tracks are over yours you know they are moving at night.

ps. I tried e-mailing you twice earlier about duck hunting, both times it came back to me. Did you get permission to deer hunt a new spot?

probably a stupid question but are you watching wind direction?? This time of year if they even sense something is wrong they will not show themselves.

How big is the corn field? Like someone else mentioned, pick a real windy day and try to stalk it. Might be hard if there is any crust on the snow like around me though...if not give it a try.

Also hope for fridgid temperatures. And hunt evenings. This gets deer moving pre darkeness, the colder the better. Sometimes standing corn can be a curse as well as a blessing. If they are comfortable in there and the adjacent woods lacks thick bedding areas, then there is no reason for them to show up outside the corn.

Good news is there are still deer there and that corn will continue to not only hold deer but attract other deer as well. Find travel routes and set up as far in the woods from the corn field as you can without bumping deer from any potential bedding areas, have you seen beds in only 30 yards from the edge?

Keep up the persistance!

I think the other thing to remember is the deer don't necessarily come every day. I've had that happen before they weren't out on a field in seemingly the same conditions one night & the next night the landowner tells me they were there. Stay at it, do what you know is right & don't second guess yourself too much.

If you don't pressure them, deer get back on pretty regular schedules in the late season after the gun seasons close. Many times you can set your clock by their patterns if you don't interupt them with you scent or presence.

In the late season I'll set up viewing stands 40 ft up a tree on the downwind side of a field, glass and identify the hot trails and times, and then slip in and kill a deer within a few minutes of the time I'd seen it the day before.

Early season and late season are both great times to kill a deer for a guy who wants to do a little homework and pick his spots.

Tippman-

I never did receive those e-mails. And, no I did not get permission. I am hunting a spot that I hunted early on. I have hunted it other years but never late. There usually is no standing corn, so now that there is, I thought I would get out and give it a try.

I came down with a bad cold yesterday and am probably not gonna be able to get back out there until it passes. This is the one thing about december that I hate. Cold viruses really get in the way. I will try a morning hunt this weekend if I can though/or if Im feeling better on wednesday.

I might have to tell my boss I came down with a bad cold in the morning with all this late season talk. I dont know if I will be able to wait until the weekend to hunt. grin.gifgrin.gif

i should have posted this earlier, but blush.gif

a simple trick to help pattern when deer are moving on the trails is to run a pc. of thread accross the trail.( tie one end but lave the other draped over a branch or something so as a deer comes down the trail, it will pull the thread.) you can do this in the morning, and when you come back in the afternoon, check to see if the thread is still accross the trail or not.this will help with knowing if they are moving during the day! del

and you know which way the deer was traveling by the direction the string is laying... good ol' trick we used to use before the advent of trail cameras. Thanks for reminder us of this old trick!

Good Luck!

Ken

Not to be a smarta$$ but thats why they call it hunting!!!

My guess is that its a combination of the deer being spooked from the hunting season - remember muzzleloaders are still blasting away - and you're busting them out of their beds close to the cornfield.

You never said, how big is this cornfield? The suggestions to do a daytime hunt in the corn sound good if its big enough.

I don't like your idea of a morning hunt unless you can find a spot inbetween the corn and their bedding area, if you try to hunt the corn edge in the morning you'll just run them out of the corn, probably without seeing them. In my corn plot, I sit down with my morning coffee and count the deer as it gets light. For a morning hunt you need to intercept them on the way back into cover and their bedding area.

You have a lot of time left, four weekends, that corn will keep pulling them in. Take a day this weekend and just scout for a couple of hours midday, verify where they might be bedding, and look for a couple of spots to hunt between the corn and their bedding areas. Then play the wind, don't over hunt your spot, and plan on harvesting one sometime around Christmas. Good luck!!

good thoughts. I guess I'll have to reconsider doing a morning hunt afterall. I do believe there is an area that I could get to that would be good with the bow. It is in the totally opposite direction from the corn, and I gotta think they are bedding somewhere between that and the corn. The corn field isnt that big. Maybe 2-3 acres of it. and its kinda short. There are still plenty of cobs on the stalks though, so I know that they are eating there. thanks for the advice, and keep it comeing if you have any.

Something I always ask myslef is "are the deer on to me" its simple but think about it, and change your game if ya need to.

I'm willing to bet they (the deer) know you well.... laugh.gif

Im not so sure about that, simply because Ive only hunted it twice since before rifle opener. Not only that, but Ive never sat in the specific place Im in right now. Your question is logical, and definately something one should ask themselves, but after thinking about it, I just dont see how it is possible. wind has been good everytime Ive been out etc...

Maybe I misses it and I understand that things might be different but with Muzzle loader season going don't you have to wear orange. Cause you said that you were wearing white camo. Just thougth I would check. I just don't want anyone to get a ticket for not wearing orange if it is required.

Froggy

Ya, I wear a thin white over coat, carhart bibs, Rocky boots, and an orange stocking cap so I dont get shot while walking around out there. Im not even sure if it is required right now as a bow hunter, but I wear an article anyway.

I think its interesting that out of all of the posts on this thread, people tend to key in on things that have nothing to do with the subject at hand. I appreciate the concern, but honestly....to me wearing orange has nothing to do with what the law says. If there are guns in the woods, then its mandatory for me....and now back to the subject at hand.

Um, I'm pretty sure you need to wear more than just an orange hat while ML or bowhunting during any open gun season. I'm fairly certain you have to wear a vest and hat minimum. I don't think that's being a jerk pointing it out, just a helpful, passing observation so you comply with the law and for the sake of your own personal safety.

This is the reply that you have been waiting for because I am about to tell you exactly what you need to do to find your deer!!!

Just get out there and hunt and hunt and hunt. Its not working and you know there are deer there then change your game plan and hunt, hunt, and hunt!

Posting on a message board will not bring you any closer to your deer.

I started hunting a 20acre peice of property this year and there are a ton of deer around. I hjave trail camera and I live there! And I still have not figured them out 100%. I have good ideas of what is happening but still they surprise me. Since the snow has fallen I have learned a ton more.

But seriously the only way you will learn your deer is to spend as much time out there as possible.

And I just want to touch base on a previous reply..I think it was from humbercita?? about the 40 feet viewing stands. Its funny you mention that because I am reading a book about targeting giant mature bucks and they suggest using that method. I think the book is by the drury brothers. They say get in what you think is the core and get up as high as you possibly can and watch and learn. They say start doing this before the season. Good tip!

Good advice. Thank you.

I Obviously didnt create this thread thinking that it alone would bring me a deer. I created it to get insights from other bowhunters that may have more experience than me or other experiences.

I appreciate the concern for the orange blaze thing. You are right about the vest. It will be on me next time I go out. The only reason I dont want to get off topic is because it gets to be a little much when on every thread, someone has to analyze something that has little to do with the ACTUAL subject at hand. Im just looking for hunting advice that will help me be a better hunter. Again, I appreciate the heads up. In this situation, I thankyou for bring my misunderstanding to the table.I would never purposely disobey the law, and I stated before that I would wear orange regardless of the law, just to simple stay alive. I just wasnt aware of the amount you had to have. For some reason I thought it was just an article.

Ya gotta learn to have a thick hide and not take things personal on these forums. People are able to post anonymously and will say things that they wouldn't say to your face. And topics will go off topic, thats the dynamic nature of an online forum. Take it with a grain of salt, enjoy the banter, and appreciate any good advice you get. Getting upset at people is just going to cut off any possible good advice.

I agree blackjack. However, I wasnt and am not upset. I just think its unecessary. But you are right, and I totally agree with you!

Im headed out right now to my spot. Im going to look around a little bit for another possible place to intercept them before it gets to dark to shoot. Im gonna hold out until the last possible second of light tonight, so hopefully it will happen. I didnt mention this before, but I have never shot a deer with my bow. This is my second year hunting, and in two years I have put a ridiculous amount of time on stand waiting for one to give me a shot. Thus, still not having one under my belt, I am extremely determined. I'll let ya all know what happens.

Thank you

Blackjack's full of it, don't pay any attention to him.

Just kidding, checking the hide thickness I guess.

Good luck to any who still get out. If you go this weekend nobody can honestly say you're a sissy hunter. I'm pretty sure I'll get out some on Sunday might try for an hour tomorrow am, brrr.

Sit as much as possible. I don't think the deer are very active in frigid temperatures. They move a little, but not a lot. I would get out there every night the temp gets around the 20's. If you don't see deer in the next couple of visits, MOVE. Is it possible that you are on an exit route? Are the deer entering the corn field somewhere out of sight? Are you busting anything as you walk out. Pay attention to track direction, anything that can help you determine where they are coming from and where they are going. Check every nook and cranny, If I still had tags and time to hunt in December, I'd be looking for the west edge or corner of the corn field. I would not hesitate to get aggressive and get aggressive quick. If this means sitting on a pail at the other end of the corn field to see what comes out, then do it. Borrow a stand from a friend and put it on the other end of the field. Is it a field that is surrounded by woods, is it a corn field penninsula? Is it running North to south, east west, its hard to tell you what to do without knowing the lay of the land. I would be checking every other nook and cranny. You obviously aren't seeing the deer where you are so go find the deer. Its the best advice I can give you. You could end up spooking a deer or two, but standing corn this time of year should hold numerous deer. Check all low spots running to the corn field. You might strike out or you might strike gold, I know that you can't do any worse than you are doing right now. Pretty soon, 4 weeks left turns into 3, then 2, then 2 days, 2 hours, etc...

It took me 6 years to finally connect with a deer with my bow. I learned a ton in the first 2 years, the next 4 I primarily buck hunted, I got on this forum and got advice about shooting a doe to get used to it. I have gotten a deer every year now for the last 3 and they are getting bigger every year. Don't feel bad about not getting a deer right away. Its not the easiest form of hunting. Stay positive, eventually, it will happen, if not this year, maybe next, the pay off will be worth it. Good luck, keep us posted.

Thick skinned trigger in SEMN OUT.

96-

thanks alot for the post. I really appreciate that! Tonight I walked alot! I found trails comeing from a long ways off to the corn. I think that most of the deer are hitting the corn and then going back to there beds(obviously), But i didnt expect to see so many trails so far from it. Its a little hard to know what to think in some areas though, just because there are single deer trails criss crossing and going every which direction. Not only that but its in really thick low brush, swampy stuff. It looks to be pretty good, but I just wonder how much further from those trails they are if they are traveling all that distance to get to the corn? could be along way? the corn runs north and south in fairly wide strip. Most of the trails zig zag north and south too. I didnt see any deer tonight either though. Infact, I was about five mins away from getting some pretty bad frost bite on my big toe. It was totally dark blue when I took my socks off! Hurt like a ...... when it started to warm up!

Its interesting that it took you 6 years to connect. In the early season this year, I had like 5 deer including a 6 pointer in anywhere from 10-30yds, and I just couldnt make it happen. they just never took that last step to give me a good shot! I feel better knowing that others have had the same tough experiences that I am trying to work through now. However, this is why I love the sport, its one heck of a challenge, and if you do get to see a deer up close it really gets the heart going! Just makes it that much more special.

If its not to frigid I'll try to get out again this weekend, but I sure dont want to get that close to frost bite again, so we'll see in the next couple days. I'll be out for sure though as much as possible weather permitting.