• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Toyota Tundra brakes? airjer?

rundrave

Question

Im looking to purchase a used 2004 Toyota Tundra crew cab 4x4 with 61k miles.

When I test drove the vehicle last night, the first thing I noticed was that the brakes seemed very strange. They felt as if noting was there and I know some of that has to do with the ABS and the braking system. However what really frustrated me was that the brake pedal was about 2 inches closer to the ground than the gas pedal. This made it really hard to move my foot from the brake to apply gas.

Is this a normal thing to expect from a tundra?

The truck seemed to stop fine and there was no vibration or steering issues when slowing down and applying the brakes.

how hard is this to adjust. I consider myself to be a do it yourselfer but what might it cost to get something like this adjusted properly at the stealership? Just want to make sure its done right. Im using this to get him down in price quite a bit, but I want to make sure I get him down low enough to offset the cost to fix.

thanks for the help

4 answers to this question

The rear brakes may be out of adjustment. Adjusting them up may resolve the brake pedal issue.

As far as the brake pedal physically being lower than the gas pedal, I had to go take a look at mine real quick. My brake pedal sits about 2" higher than the gas pedal. If you pull up on it does it move if not than I wonder if the pedal assembly is bent. If it is than how did it happen? Accident? On the other hand is the gas pedal bent?

If I measure from where the floor is bent up to the brake pedal (as if I was going to measure the travel of the pedal) I get 5 1/2". The gas pedal is 4" My Tundra is an '06 so the measurements may be different.

yes the truck has a damage disclosure and it pretty cheap in price, $15K for a loaded tundra 4x4 crew cab, SR5 etc.

i am being really hesitant to purchase this for fear of what I may run into later. it may just be too good to be true.

I know there is an adjuster behind the wheel/tire, there is a little plug, about 1" wide by 1/4". If you take that out and use a small flathead screwdriver to adjust the adjuster. you should hear some click as you do it.

I did not do any adjustments, but want to hear some opinions first.

thanks for the help

Quote:

Accident? On the other hand is the gas pedal bent?

You would not believe how often this happens. Yikes, I all ways wondered what would have caused this. I hate to find out.

When buying a rig like this, many flags could come up 10,000, 20,000 and 50,000 miles down the road. Anything from abnormal tire wearing issues to structural failure at some point. It does all depend on how well it was patched back together. I would contact local dealer (if buying from a dealer, use another one) and pay to have a used car safety inspection performed. The $100.00 or so out of pocket now, could save you from 1000’s of dollars down the road. Some people come out fine when buying a salvage unit, other rue the day they saved $5,000 and have put $10,000 into it and still own it. frown.gif

Good luck!

Good point Shackbash. I own a 97 Toyota Tacoma that has a salvage title, but have had good luck with it so far. I bought it w/22,000 miles and it now has 109,000. I have owned it for around 8 years. It's kind of a gamble, but sometimes worth taking?