• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

lol...I think it's Shagawa Lake? Not sure...but anyway...what kind of fish are in this lake? I've fished Birch a few times and would like to possibly try something new. I'm mainly after snot rockets but eyes are nice too smile.gif

Doop, Shagawa it is.

Plenty of pike in Shag. Look for them in the shallower bays where there are weeds. One of the best all-around locations is the bay where the U.S. Forest Service Floatplane base is along West Shagawa Road. There's a plowed road onto the ice there most years after the ice is thick enough, but even if you're too early for that you can drag a portable out. It's not far. There will be a few pike spearing shacks in the shallower portion of the bay.

Lots of other water on Shag, of course, that's just one spot that's pretty good for pike and easy to get to.

Thank you!

Never heard of the lake to be honest with you...seems like a good lake. I googled it and found some resort pictures. Hope you had a good birthday!

I'll be on Birch day after Christmas...stop by and say HI!

Doop, unfortunately I'll be stuck in the Twin Cities over Christmas making the rellie rounds. But I'll be thinking of you guys back up in the Ely area having a good time fishing.

Bummer man, you and I will have switched spots over christmas. I will tell you where the fish are biting in the cities if you tell me wink.gif . I will be hitting shag and the other spots hard, it has been too long since I have been out there. i got to find a reason to spend a couple more years at school so I can be up there.

Shoot, deadeye, no need to go back to school to live in Ely. Just move up with a few bucks in your pocket, live out of your vehicle, get three low-paying jobs and wait until there's an opening in one of those rental houses where five guys go in together so they can almost afford the cost of living here.

What could be simpler? grin.gifblush.gifgrin.gifblush.gif

LOL thats almost not funny!!!! grin.gifgrin.gif If it werent for fish and venision Id need 1 more out of three of those low paying jobs!!! grin.gif

Myself and a party of 4 fished all over Shagawa for a whole week last February and got totally skunked...

It sucked. I think it was because it was like -20 the entire time..

Shagawa is a much better lake in December-early January than other winter times.

personally I think summer fishing up here is almost unbeatable but ice fishing downright blows...I can go home southern mn and find big walleyes in the 17-25'' range and bigger stacked in holes and points...get a good weather active fish day and you cant keep your lures in the water for those pigs...ccrappies right in with them too so youll get the big slabs everyone up here so dearly covets...but rough fish too frown.gif......DYNAMITE!!!! grin.gifgrin.gif

Bassboy,

There are big hogs up here, believe me. There are huge crappies too. You just need to think outside the box and go to places where no one else goes. My best and favorite spots I go to don't see a fisherman all winter except for me. It is the thrill of the hunt for me. Like anything else, you have to put your time in and do some studying and recon. Some places can be very hard to get into especially when there is alot of snow, but sometimes there are big rewards. Some lakes may not have so much as a looker on the vexilar. Then again, sometimes I have drilled holes and had them jumping into my lap as fast as I can reel 'em in. The absolute key when you find a little honey hole is to tell no one about it-don't take friends in there either. The fish will always be there for you the next time you come back. There is alot more fishing here than Shagawa. Hope this helps you out.

Justin

"My best and favorite spots I go to don't see a fisherman all winter except for me."

JustinG

Maybe you'd see somebody else by you if you ever took a bath!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Hey G,

Your still mad about that deodorant comment I made a couple of months ago, aren't ya?!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I hate to say this publicly Bro, but you don't know the meaning of deodorant, or what it's for!! grin.gifgrin.gif

Hey Dude,

Word on the street is someone fell through both Shagawa and Fenske in the past 3 days. confused.gif

Ice still isn't too great yet. the top inch or so is milky white and there is a double layer in alot of areas. Not surprisingly, it hasn't made much ice the past few days...this is a weird year so far.

Fishing not too good tonight...4 small walleyes not worthy of keeping.

Might have to move to some greener pastures and go after some crappies. cool.gif

Justin

That really made me laugh STF! I have been thinking about doing that since i was done with school. I was kinda dumb turning down the resort outfitting jobs that I was offered. I just wished there was more to do up there in the winter for work. I am a good mechanic but the tools are so expensive that its almost a wash by the time your done. I think the only ones up there making money are the realestate guys. Oh well, as long as I can keep catching 4lb smallies in the old miss by my house in the cities i guess im o.k. I just got to get up there more often. I miss hearing the wolves calling at night off the porch of my cabin, gunshots are just not the same!!!