• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lighted Decoys

Covey

I have never seen them or heard of them. The only reason i can see someone using them is for really dirty water. I use a spoon then. They might work and they might not, i can see them bring a lot of fish in to check it out but i can also see fish coming in a hitting the decoy all the time. That would get old!!! cool.gif

A local fellow is making them around here, he's a carver and he showed me his version of the lighted decoy from basicly thick peices of plexi glass.

If I can get some pics I'll try to post them up, he does really nice work on his wood decoys and he was still kind of tinkering with the lighted ones.

Mike

MN Mike if you have some picture and cant get them to posted on here, email me them i want to see them.

i have seen one before. They have lights inside glass that flash. Not sure if that would help at all, but it would be something new for the fish.

MN Mike I thought you would mention them after talking to you the other day. If they aren’t too bright they might work. Some thing else to try confused.gif and watch when it’s slow. There are glow jigs and they seem to work

The Skiple grin.gif spear is still sitting here. I think we have enough snow for awhile now. Is the snow screwing up the ice? Last I heard Stenberg’s hard drive was still in the cities

12 locals headed to Kab this morning and some more tomorrow.

Yeah, Yeah, rub it in about the Skiple...... I'll own one, one way or the other!

No, we don't have enough snow yet, just a good start on the base grin.giftongue.gifcool.gif I'll be out Friday doing my best to pack it down and make sure it stays for a while.

I didn't get any pics of the decoys today, I was down there but under the gun to get some things taken care of.

Soon hopefully I'll get some pics.

Mike

i could of recieved bad info but i thought you cant send anything down into the water that is litup.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, finally got some pics of the decoys. I'll post up 3 of them here, I have more I'll try to put on a slide show.

Glenn -- The law was changed back in Aug. Lighted decoys are now legal in MN.

Law Changes

101_8184.jpg

101_8175.jpg

101_8179.jpg

Mike

They are really cool. He's been making quiet a varity of colors and they all look good.

He told me that the guys that are using them usually turn the light on later in the afternoon when the sunlight starts to wain, they have had very good luck, fish really seem to respond to decoys.

One other story he told me is that a lady bought a frog decoy, apparently she has a Crappie in a fish tank, the Crappie rammed the frog decoy twice before it backed off into a corner.

Right now, he's selling them faster than he can make them, he's actually way behind and I am not sure where you might see these pop up. I know he was talking to some stores, I'll let you know if he gets them on the shelves somewhere.

He also frequents the decoy shows and what not, so if you see one in your area, keep an eye out.

Heres a Slide Show just click on the Decoy show, theres more pictures.

Mike

mnmike thanks for the update on law change. cool looking decoys. if i get any more decoys ill need a trailer to haul them on the lake. besides my wife told me my knife fetish is enough. no more collections. she purposely stears me away from any knife display.

You'll just have to tell her a lighted decoy might come in handy if you ever get a flat tire coming home one nite grin.gif

BNS - Sent a email yesterday morning.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Somebody in the Congress or DNR must have a relative that makes lighted decoys. I can't believe that this law passed. I'm not against it, I just can't believe that it passed.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone used these? Heard some reports they worked good early morning and towards dusk?

• 3 weeks later...