• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I overheard a couple people talking the other day about a jig called a "stop sign." They were saying how well it worked on LOW. Wondering if anybody's familiar with it and what you think of it? Thanks for your time.

Never heard of it but if you pick up some angel eye jr's you should be ok to roll. They are my go to for LOW every winter. Glow Red, Pink and Glow, and Perch. Make sure to have some jigging spoons with gold on them.

DJB, just curious, where YOU were at when you heard someone talking about that jig. I too have heard something about it but havent been able to find anyone who has one or even knows what one looks like. More jigs the better I say esp. one's that no one else seems to have!? grin.gif

What? Something I don't have? Please someone, for the love of God, reply with info.

Only thing I have that may resemble a stop sign is a Gem-N-eye or an Eye-Dropper. Given the right amount of adult beverage, either might pass.

Please let us all know!

The stopsign is a jigging spoon sold by JRs Tackle. A must use lure for LOW. Log Cabin Bait should have them. I'll post a picture later today.

LB

Here's the picture. The back of the stopsign is gold. My dad has been packing these for a couple of years now. By numbers, he's usually sitting in the lucky corner of the shack too. The glow drop has also been pretty effective on LOW, good Mille Lacs perch lure too. LB

jrsstopkw6.jpg

NAMA - I heard people talking about it in St Paul.

Appreciate your replies. I'll be giving the Stop Sign and whatever else a shot in 1.5 weeks and counting.

Bturk, I set my avatar as the stopsign jigging spoon for you. If you can't see that (when logged out) either, I'm guessing you are having some sort of computer problem wink.gif

Cool looking Jig. If it is from JR's it is probably pretty darn good too. I love there crusher spoons for LOW too. As well as the flasher spoon.

I agree that is a neat looking spoon, but its essentially an Acme Kastmaster with a wee bit different shape.

I would venture to guess these spoons alone are not a miracle solution for LOW walleye catching. I've got all sorts of spoons & use them all the time - Angel Eyes, Go-Devils, Buckshots, Forage Minnows, Kastmasters, Swedish Pimples, Demon Jigging Spoons, Varmints, Rattling Varmints, etc.

I feel I can have success with any of them on Lake of the Woods because it ultimately comes down to how the user works the spoon. Once I've seen a few fish on my flasher, I can narrow down color, I can narrow down spoon action (heavy or flutter), I can narrow down size, and I can narrow down rattle vs no rattle. Keep switching things up until you run into a spoon that works.

But now that someone said this spoon is a "go-to", I'm going to have to try it! wink.gif

I also am a fan of the crusher I was up there last year out of Arenison rock point and the guide toby checked in on us fishng was slow so he sold us some crushers. So we put them on them he pulls out some cod liver oil pills put one on the hook with 2 fathead heads instant fish. My all time favorite jigging spoon.

I know a lot of the guides that I fish with put these colors on there line and never change all year long. I've been using them for two years now and swear by them for LOW. Used them in Duluth on the river and caught some real nice eye's as well. glow red front and gold back seems to work. The red glow that he uses on his lures is dynamite.

I was at JRs Tackle in Osseo today. They had a few of these spoons but said Capra's is the only other place in the Twin Cities that can sell them. Not sure about elsewhere. I will for sure try them next week at LOW. Pink has been a good color for us. Also I agree with Hanson, many baits are good, sometimes on this lake, 2-4" off the bottom is the answer and usually suspended fish are very aggressive. Try different stuff and use your electronics. Stan C.

as far as trying something different, when I'm pounding my head against a wall to to hook the sniffers I like to dipp my minnow in a bait powder called Top Secret. it's an amino powder that when a wet minnow is dipped in then put in water it holds to the bait in gelatinous consistancy that slowly disperses a strong scent. They have Bloody flovor, maggot, blue cheese an worm flavor.. 5 years ago you could find it at cablles for 5.99 for1.4 oz which would last many many mounths, but now I'm lucky to find it in a discount bin for 1.99 it just did'nt seem to take off but Ive used it many times to turn nuetral fish on in what would have been a very slow day. Boar.P.S it's not the holy grail of bait applications as many of times it's worked... it has'nt just as many.

Hey Boar,

Not a lot of folks use scent on the ice but I am a diehard scent fan. Started using Berkley, walleye formula but had trouble with it freezing so mixed it with Yum craw flavor. Think Berkley may have changed thier formula so it doesn't freeze now but like to mix with craw anyway.

Seems like I always have hydraulic or 2-stroke oil or gas on my hands and gloves, so something to cover is just good sense(or scents) to me.

Then there is the confidence thing. I firmly believe that you will catch more fish if you are confident in your presentation so I will do whatever it takes even if it has more affect on me than the fish! Bottom line is better catchin'!

Jr's Tackle has a site, but I did not see this lure offered.

as for my choices on LOW, my favorite jigging action lure is a gold Cicada, awesome bites, I tip it with a fathead head.

Hey doug, hows the winter treating you guys? I failed to mention also each flavor has a color turns very bright when dipped in the water so it's scent pluse color attractant. Boar

So... do you tip these "stop sign" lures with anything? Minnow, Minnowhead?

Please help! confused.gif

Or, do you just work them as you would a chubby darter? Which, I consider more of a fish attractor than anything?

I haven't used one yet, but I'm pretty sure the minnow head is the most common bait for it as it is for most all jigging spoons. But a whole minnow would probably work also.

either a minnow head or the whole minnow depending on the bite. I've always had my best luck with the whole minnow myself. When at LOW I always just use the minnows supplied in the rentals. Have bought shinners before and thought it was a waste of my time, hard to get and hard to keep alive. not that it makes a difference jigging but never did that much better for the $$$$ they cost.

ATI jigs are the way to go. I have never fished low but they work every where else. [image]ATIASSORTMENT.jpg[/image]