• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Thoughts on Deer Horn Resort and Pine Point Lodge

Our group is looking at Deer Horn resort on Kab and Pine Point Lodge on Crane for next summer. Can anyone chime in with their thoughts on these two resorts?

Sounds like the slot has helped the walleyes on Kab. How's the fishing on Crane? Am I correct that Crane is about 2,900 acres?

If we were to leave Crane where does that lead us?

Thanks for the help.

DB

No thoughts on Deer Horn because I don't have any knowledge of that resort; however, I have stayed at Pine Point on Crane twice, and it has my recommendation. Jeff and Kathy, the young owners, have worked very hard to make this a full service resort, and have done a good job! The cabins are comfortable, well equipped and more than serve their purpose. The lodge offers a place to congregate and meet with others, has a "grocery" to pick up essentials that you may have forgot, beer, sodas, pizza, sandwiches, etc.. The dock staff and housekeeping staff are very friendly and helpful, too! Their boats are always newer, well maintained/equipped and reliable. The resort costs are very competitive in my opinion. I sincerely recommend Pine Point.

Crane Lake is appx 2,900 acres but is the "gate way" to more water than you can ever fish in a life time. It leads to you Sand Point, Namakan, Kab . . . . and a whole bunch of others is you want to portage into the Canadian side. If you launch at Pine Point in a 50 HP boat, you could expect to arrive at Ash River on Kab in perhaps an hour and a quarter or there abouts . . . . but in reality, you won't even get close to Kab because there are so many places to fish and explore before even getting there.

Fishing anywhere in this area is "good" if you are a good fisherman!!!! If not, well, it's a great experience anyway.

Terry

Cedar Falls, Iowa

Haven't stayed there, but I can highly recommend Kec's Cove and Birchwood. Both are great places with great owners. Pine Tree Cove is also a nice place. Never stayed, but used their ramp. They treat non-guests very well. Their protected dock system has its advantages. Kab can get hairy, like most lakes. Sorry to not answer your question directly, but in the end, no one complains about any of the resorts on Kab to my knowledge. Absolutely the greatest place on earth. Like the previous poster stated, bring some skills. I have gone there and hit paydirt and have gone there and hit rock bottom. Doesn't matter, there is something special about Kab.

Doonbuggy, both resorts you mentioned have excellent accomddations. I guess my question would be what time of year are you coming up. Crane lake is a good smallmouth fishery, but I have to give Kab the edge on walleye and N. pike. When on Kab, you may not have to venture to far out to fish, saving gas money, plus its much quieter than Crane as seaplanes generally are rarely seen on Kab.

Deerhorn resort has probably one of the better breakwaters on the lake, this is quite important if theres a Northwind, which beats up boats, which happens at one of the resorts mentioned. Deerhorn has or will have three completely remodeled cabins, and they offer full service as do some of the others.

All the Kab resorts are on the mainland, which makes eating out, shopping and etc more handy than requiring a boat to go to shore.

Again much depends on the time of year for your trip.

guts

Stayed at Pine Point 3 or 4 years ago. Had the end cabin by the beach. The cabins are clean and comfortable, however, we shared them with a lot of mice... did I say a lot of MICE. I use to mice (still don't like them)from deer camp and Rainy. Wife and kids were freaking out. Owners and staff are nice and setting was outstanding. We had deer on the beach in the morning. Fishing was also pretty good. Took the kids on a float plane ride from a pilot across the bay. We stayed on the Ash river last fall and had great access to a lot of water.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, both resorts are well run operations. For resorts on Kabetogama you could also check out thier lake association website. Voyageur Park Lodge is also a nice place on Kab they also sponsor this forum. Where ever you choice enjoy the beutiful scenery up thier. Dock Boy

Well, the votes have been tabulated and we'll be going to Pine Point 7/13-7/20. Our group has never been to Crane so I think that was a deciding factor.

Thanks everyone for all your input. We're looking forward to our visit.

PS - Cozzene, thanks for your comments. I hope you don't mind helping out a Drake grad....

guts - I'm wondering if you can email me at ajdoon57 at yahoo. There's a small lake that our group has heard about up there, but we have only limited info on it. Once I describe it I have a feeling you might be able to provide some more info on it. Thank you.

DB