• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Predator harvesting System

Guest Kyle

Just wondering what everyones favorite gun, scope, and bullet system are? I need to get another rifle for yotes and fox. Ive heard teh .17hmr is a really fast gun/bullet, but it gets tossed around in the wind pretty bad, and it disintigrates on impact. .22mag was another option, but I kinda want to be able to reach out there a little farther. Im kinda between a .204 and .22-250. But then I have no idea what kind of scope I need. I obviously want to be able to really dial in at long ranges, but I dont really want to spend alot of money putting together a good system. What do you all think?

You are going to get ALOT of different answers here.

So i will start with my opinion based on experience.

The .17HMR is a nice round, i really like it on fox, and used it alot last year. I never shot further than 100 yards with it, and the wind really messes with it alot. But on red fox it is a very fur friendly round.

The .22 mag I personally think has longer range and more hitting power than the .17 HMR does. I like the .22 mag alot.

If you are talking about wanting longer shots on both fox and yotes do not forget about the .222. it is a great round that is fairly fur friendly on fox and has plenty of power to drop yotes quite a ways out.

I have used a .223 to harvest alot of fox and there is ALWAYS alot of sewing that needs to be done and if you get a bad hit, it is UGLY what it will do.

I have no experience with the .204, however know alot of people who have used them and what they say is if you hit a fox with them inside 100 yards it is pretty ugly. That is a FAST moving bullet.

Myself I went big, I pretty much only shoot Yotes and wanted a long range gun so if I wanted to shoot big game such as whitetails, mulies or antelope I would not have to buy another. I went with a 25-06, Fast, accurate and really doesn't totally destroy the pelt.

Scope it as big as you can afford. Objective lens up to a 50 would be preferred, but a 40 will do the trick, magnification of 4 X 12 or bigger, would recommend a variable so it covers distances differently.

Hi Mark (Rippinlip) how is it going there for you ???

Anyway I agree with above, I have 3 AR-15s and a .243, all 3 are capable of long range shooting, but 1 of my AR I had it all the way to 550yards, the .243 is what I would go for extra range. I don't handload, I just buy good factory ammo and some of the high end are pretty accurate, constantly.

A 50mm scope will give you more light gathering at dusk or at night, I have only this king and I am very happy with it.

I prefer "extra" power with zoom, so I choose 5-15 and up.

I studied ammo ballistics , and found out the .234 on paper wins over many. Hands-on might give you different results, try to study a little and ask some dealers. I have a dealer friend of mine that used to do competitons, and he helps me a little.

For coyotes, I went with a Rem 700 Varmint in .243 for my long range work.

Rem243.jpg

Fitted with a Mueller 8.5x25-50 scope and the trigger adjusted to a nice crisp, creap free 3.5 pounds... 3/4" groups at 300 yards are not out of the question. I've found most light weight varmint loads to yeild quite a surface splatter which has led me to begin hand loading. A heavier, slow expanding round should do the trick with minimual hide damage. A new B&C snow camo stock should be arriving this week. Lighter weight, more ridgid and with a full aluminum bed should bring my groups in even more...

For my nocturnal efforts, I call on my trusty Rem 1100 and a fist full of 3", #4's. Puts them down on the spot with no need for needle and thread. Good calling and good camo are a must to draw them in close.

I'm going to be building up an Encore for the lil' woman here in the next few weeks. I really like the .204 Ruger but will probably go .223 because I already have the reloading equipment/supplies.

Hey Val... I saw you over at Predator Masters talking AR's... I'm still trying to convince the commander-in-chief that "she" ( wink.gif ) NEEDS one of these but the outlook is not that sunny. I'm still working on her though... grin.gif

really good post so far, not really gonna add much to it: 17HMR will get tossed really good in the wind, but I still bought one, my main coyote rig is a AR-15 in .223. I hand load 55 grain hornady v-max and 60 grain Horn. vmax. My gun just shoots them really well. I have not taken a fox, yet, but if I hunt somewhere that I know fox are, I will use the 17 or my 12 ga with buckshot. long range? 22-250 will reach out there and touch them, and the .243 has great long range potential. Go big on the glass, it is not gonna hurt, unless you have it dialed up to 16 and one comes in at 10 feet grin.gif

I am sure others will pitch in here, but the ballastics on a .204 look pretty hot, and I have no experience with them either.

I don't own a 204 myself but i have read plenty on some other forums about them. most of the people that are coyotes swear by the 35 grain bergers. and from what i hear they are great out to 350 and some as long as you do your job. personally like the .223 and a 243 as my back up.

i shoot a 22-250 and love it it really reaches out there i have shot up to about 450-500 yrds... but does anyone know what power scope i would need for it... i have one now but im looking for a nicer one and idk what the one i have now is (power wise) ...and it doesnt say one it what power scope would be good?

I carry a 22/250 as well........not that it matters....could just as well have a pocket full of rocks. I call and call and call and .......haven't pulled the trigger in two years. I fact, haven't seen a critter. I catch fox (reds and greys), yotes, cats in good numbers in the same areas I call so I know they are around.....just can't get any response to the call.

My dobber is down.

Rippinlip, what grain/bullet do you shoot with the 25-06? How big of a hole does it leave?

That's what I currently have for deer and had planned on getting a 22-250 or .223 for 'yotes this year but do to the circumstances, I'm probably going to wait.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread but couldn't PM.

I shoot a Rem 700 SS Fluted w/ a 6.5x20 Leupold in 22-250 handloaded with 55 gr Ballistic tips it is deadly well past 500 yards. It is kind of hard on the hides though. When calling I use a Colt AR15 w/ a 3.5x10 Leupold in .223 handloaded with. 52gr HP Match Bullets. Again kind of hard on the hides, but very few don't wind up in the back of the truck.

Snoman,

I shoot the Winchester Super X, Ballistic Silvertips, in the 90 grain version. It seems like alot, but I have shot a couple of yotes at well over 250 yards and yes it does some damage, but I do it more for the exterimanation purpose and not for the hides, even though I do turn all my hides in for cash to a fur dealer, They do not even make me skin them, is that cool or what.

That round and my gun is a real killer at long distances, I have the gun sighted at 1" high at 150 yards and I only have about a 4" drop at 400. This is with Bi-pods to secure the gun.

In a way, I hate to open this door, but I'm going to ask anyhow. Anyone shoot FMJ's at 'yotes?

I am currenlty shooting Winchester Silvers - 54g Ballistic tips from a .243 and am very happy with the short long range results, but I've also loaded my own 70g Hornady ballistic tips, 60g HPBT's, and 90g FMJ's - all in .243 cal. (I've checked w/MN DNR in the St. Paul tower. They are legal for preditors.) If you believe in the "1 shot" - "1 kill" concept, they do make a very clean hole. You just have to wait for the right shot.

I've had and seen "ballistic tips" blow major holes in the pelts - even in smaller caliber guns. Any thoughts/comments on the FMJ's?

I personally wouldn't use the FMJ's unless its head shots only, yotes are tough and i have seen then run after being hit perfectly with 243's and larger. i think the fmj would run right through them and you would have a very long track as well as a long slow death for the critter your after. i decided to used 80 grain PSP in my 243 as my back up gun, and 55 grain Vmax out of my 223. the BT Vmax can blow some big hole so thats why i will do my best not to hit the shoulder.

On another site that is dedicated to coyote hunting they say the ONLY way to go is with a .17Rem (not HMR) for dead coyotes AND minimum pelt damage. In fact they will pretty much kick you out of there for talking about shooting anything else.

I'm getting a .243 in a Handi rifle and a Mueller 3-9x40, but might add another barrel in .204 later. Single shot, but any other barrels are only $100 give or take.

I've surfed that site. Everyone has their opinion. If in open windy country though, I'll take my .243 over a .17 any day. I am however, looking at a new AR style .223 rifle for those calmer days - hunting in tighter shooting ranges. I really like the .223 too. ....Plus, good .223 ammo is cheap.

My fun gun for yotes is my Rem. 700 Sendero fluted with 4.5x14 leupold in .300 Win. Mag. I load 110gr. Hornady V-Max ballistic tips: 74 grains of Hodgdon Varget=3650fps and the wind won't move it around. Does it destroy the pelts? No,it destroys the entire animal.

I will also shot yotes with a 300mag as I only hunt them to cut down the population where we deer hunt. Way to many of those critters. They dont wiggle much when they get smacked with a 300 magnum with a 165 grain bullet.

If I want the pelt, then I use either a 243 or a 22-250.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got done ordering all the parts for my new AR,,, I got the upper from Rock River Arms,, 20" bull in stainless 1in8 twist chose the Houge floating tube for the front,, found a great deal on a stag lower and ordered that, also found a lower parts kit with a RRA 2 stage trigger and Houge pistol grip for cheap and ordered that as well, ACE skeleton stock, ,,, Just orderd it all yesterday and the day before,, so christmas will be a little late this year!

ill post a pic when she gets done

sounds like a great setup, a buddy of mine just got a new ar with the softgrip tube on his. I have yet to see it, but that will probably be my next purchase, that stock aluminum one gets mighty cold in the winter time

Here's the new look for my .243...

Rem700243Varmint.jpg

I was able to get out the other day and give her a chance to bark...

200ydTarget2.jpg

Aside from the cute little flyer in the first group, I think I'm going to like this configuration. grin.gif These shots were taken at 200 yards with a slight right to left breeze using a 70 grain Federal factory load. My bad knees and the snow kept me away from the 300 yard mark and besides, my hands were freezing!! A click or two on the turrets and I should be right in there!! Can't wait to get my trigger done now!!!

Sorry for the "thread jack"... Just had to show off a bit..

we have a larg yote hutning group and 13 out of 20 of us use .223 AR's 5 of us use 62 grain wolf cheap and have good luck with them. the 62 seems to handle wind a bit better. i also use a 220 swift great gun FAST 4230 fps i would go with one of these

Alright, due to a Great Christmas I'm getting a new coyote gun after all. I still haven't decided if it is going to be a 22-250 or .223 but what I need to know is how important is a bull barrel? I'm probably going to get a Tikka and 3 out of the 4 gunshops today told me NOT to get the bull barrel. There argument is that it is built to be a light gun and that it'll shoot just as well with out it. My only concern is if I'm going to regret not having a bull barrel if I ever go prairie dog hunting? Thanks!

I agree, I shoot the sporter barrel in a 223 and love the fact that it weighs next to nothing when walking through deep snow to my stands. but if you dont have far to travel then maybe the bull barrel is for you. I honestly dont think you need it for yote hunting. its not like sitting praire dog towns in ND burning tons of rounds.

If you go dog hunting you should have more than one rifle anyway. Heavies take longer to heat up, but they take longer to cool off too. I have 2 heavies, and dogs is all I use them for cause I am too lazy to drag them around any other time. Get the light barrel now and you have an excuse to pick up another rifle later.

I use a bushmaster Varmiter 60 g v max 24.6 gr benchmark shoots awesome is a little hard on the fur at times espically fox. I also have a 22-250 heavy loded with a 50 gr vmx. also hard on fur at times. I have been toying with a 270 wsm with a 110 gr vmx as a ultra long range system. I havent had enough experience with this to comment yet but I did come real close to a yote at 800 plus yds the other day. If I new how to post pics we have been smacking em in the face lately. 12 in the snow fri and sat