• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Medicine lake

There are still quite a few people in the bays on the west side. I don't know how the fishing is going for them but I do know the rest of the lake is good to go. I was out last night and walked across the lake (i dont like crowds) and found 7 inches all over. I fugure just after christmas there will be cars out there if it keeps below freezing.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• deadeye

• ameyers41

• floorguy

• TrentPlymouth

they were all grouped in a half circle about 100-150 yards from the beach to the parking lot. Fishing in 12-15' There were a couple of guys fishing the point. Looks like today guys are ventureing farther out into the main lake. Good luck, it would seem to me that the ice would really start to thicken with the cold, plus all the wind blew the snow off the lake!!! Just a thought. I'll be out tonight after 9

I would be careful. I drilled some holes Tuesday and found anywhere from 3"-9" out of French Park. Bare areas had lots of ice, but the snow covered areas were quite a bit thinner.

Has anyone been out to the southwest part of medicine, "the claw" part of it and know what the ice is like?

i would have to say that there is some pretty good fishing if you know where to go.....

was in the bay on the west side last night, slow bite! Ice was 10" plus. Lots of wheelers and sleds. Good luck to all.

i was out there two nights ago and killed it with "deadeye" you just gotta know where to go.

I'm planning on going out there tonight around 4pm. Hopefully I can get up enough energy to make it to some of the crappie holes.

So how was the fishing today?? Saw quite a few guys by Hartys.

How was the ice, looks fairly clear of snow. Hope the bite was good, hopefully will be out on Sun no VIKES game so a fishin I will go hi ho hi ho

I was out today from 10:30 am to 2:30 pm. Just out from the west park/beach. Nothing for me. 4 lb walleye for someone nearby.

I'm new to this lake, and wish i knew where the crappie holes were! No one gives info!

I saw sat night that Harty has his launch open, which is a good sign that he will be open during the day. Go back a couple days on this post to see a list of all the bait shops in the area in case Harty's is closed. Anyone have any reports on the Ice conditions, saw a couple shacks up north of Harty's, if you were one them how thick. Looking to get the perm out!! Thanks for your help. Good luck to all!!!!

grin.gif

Looking to get out to this afternoon after my nieces baptism. Anyone else heading out, I am heading out on the west side of the lake.

I will be out there with a group of 2-3 houses. I'll be in a green otter cabin. Come say hi if you like. I go by Tony and I'll be wearing bright yellow pants.

Did you catch anything? I didn't from 8-11 pm. Not even a nibble. I don't get it, i haven't had a single bite from the 4 times I've been out on the west. I don't want to go to the east, because i live about 3 blocks from the west. It's to convenient for me, not to go to the west. Are they just not hungry yet?

I have never fished Medicine before. I am looking for some gills and crappies - where is the best spot to access the lake?

Quote:

I'm new to this lake, and wish i knew where the crappie holes were! No one gives info!

Trent-

I would suggest taking a look at the MN DNR site. They have lake maps and creel census reports for a lot of lakes. I have found some gems, as have countless other guys I'm sure.

I'm not going to lie to you. When it comes to spots on metro lakes, my lips are pretty well locked. I have no problem reporting on ice thickness, how the bite is/was or even relative depths and structure fished. But I will not give up relatively unknown spots. They're just too hard to come by.

They also sell maps of the lakes at any sporting goods store. You can even buy a great big book of metro lakes at Fleet Farm for around 20 bucks, very very helpful if your new to the area. Fishin in the metro is a challenge to say the least, Flatlander is right thou nobody is going to spill there secerts about there holes. Trial and error, move alot try everything. Medicine is very productive for a metro lake, lots of good fish, just have to keep tryin different bait. Has anybody have any ice conditions on the east side yet??? Good luck to all!!!!

Trent - Crappies are in the deep holes and they suspend. They are easy to find. Drill - check with Vex - if nothing move.

Came off the Ice around 2 this afternoon, Fished the east side couple hundred yrds plus out from the beach. Ice is goofy shoreline out is very slushie 2-3" of crud once out its solid, fished in 10', ice was 14" water was clear like glass could see to bottom!!! People at Harty's are good, they'll let ya know what ya need to know!!! It's a tough walk out lot's of hard snow... Good luck to all!!!

I was out Sunday 3:30 -6:00. Thought I could find a spot I was told about but could not. To little time and got distracted by the long walk and the two bald eagles. Need to buy that three wheeler!! What I did find were tight lipped fish on the bottom at about 10'. I had one bite but that was it. Threw colored spikes, whole minnow, minnow heads on Glo Demons and jiggin spoons. One problem was I had three rods same white color, second problem I wish I could have gotten there to drill my pattern to find the exact spot I wanted.Lots of guys out from the parking lot on the south west side. Did see a nice walleye in the lot, guy said it was "on a tiny jig".

I am thinking of heading out this weekend. Any idea if the middle of the lake is safe enought to walk yet?? ***disclaimer-you're not responsible if I fall through smile.gif

I would like to try the deep crappie holes.

Thanks for the info - happy holidays!

Joe at Harty's is definitely very good people! He'll try to help you get on some fish and more importantly he may be the single best source of driving and ice conditions for this lake. I know my truck doesn't go on the ice until he tells me I'm OK where I plan to be driving. Until then I'm playing pack mule and pulling the portable out. This lake almost annually develops a big pressure ridge on it that can get a guy on to TV real fast as they are pulling you and your vehicle out of the water. No fish is worth that to me!

Regarding some of the fishing location posts. Alot of folks that are after bluegills work out of the French Park area. Pretty short pull onto the ice and enough weeds and clusters of ice houses that you can normally hit the general area pretty well and then go searching for the hot depth. You will also pick up a crappie or two in these same areas (last year I actually did better for crappies where I normally fish bluegills).

Any of the deep holes will hold suspended crappies and this lake has a bunch of deep holes. You definitely need the electronics to get to the right depth but a couple of years ago I didn't leave the deep holes until I had my limit of crappies and then it was off for some bluegills. (last year the deep holes weren't as good according to most people and I would agree although I didn't fish them as much since I never drove out onto the lake due to the ice conditions) There is one deep hole that most people acces out of Harty's and then drive to the west towards the cluster of houses (probably not there yet). There are also a few deep holes that you can access on the south side as well.

I was out there last night over the deep hole on the east side. Had a flurry of activity right at dark, then nothing. About 8 inches of decent ice.

Hey Medman good to hear from you, Triple play and floor guy, thank you for the kind words. Wanted to just take a moment and say Hi to all the new members and folks that have been here awhile. There are alot of people who have been asking if there is bait in the area, and the answer at my Baitshop is yes. Bait supplying is an occupation that can make a person with the best intentions go belly up. There needs to be other sources of income to survive. A number of baitshops are no longer in business, I feel bad for them and I understand. Harty's is open 8-5, winter hours, 7 days a week, plus I can arrive earlier or stay late if someone calls and asks. I am there 95% of those hours, and if I cannot be there I will have someone else there or a sign telling when I will return. I realize the frustration of finding a sign instead of a person with some answers. This is the exception rather than the rule, but sometimes it's as simple as I'm upstairs getting a bite to eat, or because nature is calling I just can't get there right now, or I had to go to the bank and cash in my change jar. The last thing a guy like me wants to read on here is some guy popping off about it being annoying getting bait at Harty's, or I had a problem with them last summer. Having been here since 1967 I have put my time in with helping people, their parents, grandparents, and great grandparents, plus friends and relatives of said folks, so although 99.99% of the people understand, it is those one or two people who are in a hurry, having a bad day, or just don't like me, that can make the difference. Back in the day there were no forums like this that 10,000 people are going to read, so it makes sense that a person should think about commending more and condemning less. What matters is I'm doing the best I can and I genuinely like it when the customers become friends with me and my helpers. I really appreciate helping all of you, and I really appreciate you stopping by for this or that, or just to say Hi.

Now then, Most of us know about the weird ice sheet this year. Before we got the snow that covered up all the bad spots, I thought this was the worst sheet of ice I have seen in 40 years...no kidding ! I'm very concerned, but I'm slowly getting a little more comfortable with certain areas where the snow pack came together with the ice sheet. Extreme caution must be urged where thick snow and slush areas come together with glare icy areas. These areas will have drastically differing ice thicknesses right next to each other. Thank God we are not seeing anyone driving out with cars and trucks right now. ATVs and snowmobiles for motorized traveling, plus on foot, seems to be OK right now. If we get more snow this weekend, and depending on the amount it may be awhile before anyone should drive a vehicle out there. I always take a look at how cold it is up in Fairbanks and right now it is brutally cold. If it builds long enough, look out down here. There are lots of good fishing areas that have not been visited much yet and I know the fish are probably wondering why they are getting neglected. Take a look at a map, maybe call for directions. I have always been very good about directing into general areas of historically good spots to find fish. I'm not going to spill my guts on the phone or on this great forum for information. There seems to be alot of fish year after year, and catch and releasing frequently will ensure we can keep having fun, but if thousands of guys are meat hunting walleyes, we'll be watching Babe on TV. Bottom line is this, keep a couple now, but save the rest for later.

Finally, how about saying another prayer or two for our Men and Women who fight daily so we can still enjoy what we should never take for granted....being able to make the decision to head over to the lake and go do what they just wish they could do with you....Amen!

See you at the lake, and when you get there...relax and have a nice and safe time.

Lakeman