• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

before and after the snow flies.....

Slow Jigger

With me thinking of heading to the blind tonight was wondering if I should hit it or hang on until after the snow hits. Problem is the winds are going to be higher than I like tonight and after the snow they are suppose to be worse.

I have had luck seeing deer late in the year so it is not a must to hunt tonight but just moved the blind last week to a new spot I an itching to try....

Any advice on which would be better, before or after the storm? just having snow on the ground is going to help quite a bit!

Well if it is snowing like crazy before you head to the stand i would wait until after the storm. i have found where i hunt that after a big snowfall the deer take a few days before returning to their normal habits. but if the snow hasn't started i would say get out there, with this big front coming in the deer should be moving big time. neither way good luck.

If you have the time and the will ya better get out there. I just read a post somewhere else about a guy who went out and shot the biggest deer of his life when the wind was howling and the weather was crappy. He said the big ol boy was just trotting along and stopped about 15 yds broadside. These big ol deer are hard to predict.

Absolutely - get out there! Both before and after the storm the deer should be on the move looking to feed. I would think both tonight and tomorrow morning followed by Sun afternoon would be good... Never know unless you're out there. Even with the wind... that barometer will get the feed bags in gear. Hunt!

I've always thought that the front side of the storm was the best. I've had some of my best days hunting just before a snowstorm arrives.

Me too.

The deer seems to know the snow is coming and like to eat close to the ground.

Sit by a nice clover field!!

Well boys I am going to head out tomorrow morning and sit for awhile. I seen the snow isn't suppose to start till about noon. I will be hunting the Mille Lacs WMA. Have had decent success there before. I will report tomorrow what happened. Low of 10 degrees tonight. makes for a cold sit tomorrow, plus the wind. Might not sit to long.

Did you get out yesterday afternoon? See any deer?

I saw 30 on my drive home from work yesterday...it seemed like they were active. I hope you had success. I'm about to head to the stand this morning...give it the old college try.

FL Sniper

I woke up this morning and checked the radar online and the snow was fast approaching. I decided not to go. Say I shot one with the snow flying and made a bad shot, then the snow piles up on my blood trail and now what. I should have went now that I am sitting here. I have 30 days to tag a deer. I will be out after the storm hopefully Sunday night.

I didn't have much for movement this morning, besides turkeys...I sat until 10. I bumped a deer getting into my stand and that was it. Would have been nice to be out yesterday afternoon I think. But you gotta go when you can go...work seems to get in the way.

I'm heading out in about 20 minutes for a last light hunt! I'm going to focus on a feeding area. These deer are now in winter survival mode. Last year I noticed that once the snow flew they were stacked up in the protected feeding areas while the snow was fallin and the wind was a blowin! Wish me luck grin.gif Skipping the ice show for this! tongue.gif

I went out last night, and tonight but the deer must have been bedded down tonight? Last night I found out where the deer were, because I saw about 15-20! All does and fawns, but the wind helped them and not me! mad.gif

We expected a lot of movement last night too, but the guys that got to be out only saw one. He's in the garage now. wink.gif

Not much of morning report. Tonight I had a small six walk in over my left shoulder to 15 yds before he spooked. I'm not sure what he caught as I had my back to him when he turned around. Likely my smell.

I wanted him to pass. The guys have taken six young bucks(one fawn) from the area so far and no does. I cringe for next year, but they haven't been able to get shots at does.

Didn't take long to be wearing snow camo tonight!!! grin.gif

I didn't see anything. The next day the whole area was tore up and tracks everywhere. They must of waited till the snow stopped flying. Might try and do a morning hunt tomorrow.......???

Same here. Today was my first time ever bow hunting after the rifle season. I saw a great amount of tracks, but because of the time of day, I didnt see a deer. Lots of muzzleloaders out there today. Good to see good numbers. My problem today was that I got there way to early(noon) and just couldnt make it until magic hour. Now I know better for next time. It is alot different bow hunting in snow and wind and cold vs. early season-rifle opener! It was great to get out and hunt in the snow though. I love seeing all of the tracks because you know that everyone of them is really really fresh! Im hoping to get out there one night this week or next weekend!

Well it was a good weekend to be in the woods with storm and all. I ventured to the Crosslake area Sat morning before it hit and it snowed HARD all day into the evening. I couldn't see 30 yds so I never even made it out Sat. Sunday morning there were tracks everywhere... I can-called in a spike to 25 yds right away... I wasn't in the stand 3 minutes. But that was it for close encounters. Scouted a little mid-day but didn't last too long tromping through 10-11" snow. Tried a different area for evening but didn't see a thing. Got home last night to find out a good hunting buddy arrowed a 7 pointer during the storm Sat night in a woodlot I hunt so there are still opportunities out there. A good start to December but still on the chase...

Went Saturday morning & Sunday night. I didn't see a thing, a couple guys I hunted with bumped some deer Saturday morning, but couldn't get a shot. The snow started at 7:20am for us, so they were mostly hunkered down already. Tried a push to them & found sign of one I'd bumped, but it didn't go the right way. I'm guessing they moved Friday night in our area. Saw a couple in a field that night where I've seen them many times since before Thanksgiving, but no permission to hunt there.