• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2002 Dodge Caravan heater fan question

LwnmwnMan2

Question

Heater works, but fan only works on full.

Where should I start looking??? Also, about 1/2 the lights on the right side of the heater console (in middle of dash) no longer work, is there a bulb that can be reached back there?? Or is it all tied into the guages in one part??

7 answers to this question

Blower motor resistor! I just emailed hanson on how to check this the other day.

This is an easy diag with a test light. The hard part is trying to remember if the switch is ground side control or provides power. Any way the resistor is located under the passenger side of the dash near the blower motor. It should have a flat connector with 4 or 5 wires coming out. Unplug it then turn the key on with the switch set to low. Using a test light connected to ground probe the pins until the light lights up then turn the switch to the next position the test light should go out (there may be wire that provides constant power) probe the remaining pins until it lights up again. Repeat for the rest of the settings. If the light lights up for all the switch position than we know the switch is functioning. The blower motor works so the only thing left is the blower motor resistor.

If its ground side control the test light will need to be hooked up to power to see if the switch is grounding.

The newest caravans have a fan control module that is located behind the glove box. There is two connectors, one comes from the control unit the other goes to the blower. Unplug the the one from the control unit. Using an a/c voltmeter check for a/c voltage at the connector with the key on and blower switch at the lowest setting. A/c voltage will change as you switch to the other speeds.

Resistor most likely.

My 97 Caravans is on passenger side firewall.

Put in two during its 286,000 mile existence.

Did same thing as yours, high only.

Unplug it, pop it off (rivets I believe)and screw in new one, plug it back in.

I'm pretty sure I'm thinking of the correct vehicle. (lol)

Quote:

Blower motor resistor!

120% positive.

They look like a multiple light bulb element part located on top of heater housing box. Like Airjer said, it’s right behind the glove box. Clean out your glove box and push in tabs at rear of glove box in and let glove box fall forward (or remove plastic straps). You will see the black housing of the heater plenum/box and two groups of wire plugged into box. Remove wires. Remove screws/bolts (2). Pull out old resistor. Be careful with new one (do not bump coils) and replace. Reverse install procedure and away you go.

Even though Airjer gave some darn fine testing instruction, I would just replace it. They go every once and awhile and 11 times out of 10 they will fix this concern.

Now if you start blowing 2-3 a year, it might be blower motor drawing to much current and you will need to replace blower motor.

I used to replace them right in the service isle, when we where backed up in shop. Very easy to do.

Good Luck.

LM2,

The ATC control head lights I believe are replaceable. In no way they are related to blower motor issue. My brain is slow this morning, so I could be wrong about bulbs being replaceable. If they are not, you woul have to replace the control head, that or live with it.

If you go in to replace one bulb, replace them all. I would it when a week later, one of the bulbs I did not replace would blow.

Good luck!

Ooops, I forgot about the instrument cluster bulb, Thanks shack!