• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

GUN???? Ice

I do not for sure since I've not bored any holes in her but all of the other lakes that i know of have 4"-5" today and we are still making ice at a pretty good clip.

It was 5 this am.

Sounds like we'll be fishing then...As long as the snow stays south. Appreciate the info CK

anyone know how much is on some of the smaller lakes around 300-400 acres such as rock and rat lakes???

Thanks

Ryan

I know I have not been out on them and that's what your really looking for however it's been 0-10 every night with highs not much warmer so we have been making good ice.

I've got word 4 porty's were out on my slab hole today so really I'm sure you'd have 5-6" on most all lakes.

Well the drive up was memorable, but with the storm in full force and snow coming down horizontally it took a mear 4.5hrs to drive the 110 miles to the cabin (and a full tank of gas)<<might of had something to do with 2.5 tons of Oak in the trailer behind.

Anyway we didin't fish Saturday night, but got up at the crack o dawn, ventured out, started drilling holes all the way out to our fishing hole...5-6" everywhere.12+ inches everywhere. Sucks to pull a 4 man otter and gear out in.

We fished many holes, marking a big -0- on the vex at every hole. Only lure a couple of perch from the bottom.

Should have been there saturday AM...High pressure and the fresh fall killed our slab fest....Maybe next week.

Ice report is, there is not much of it. I was fishing this weekends mornings at 20 below. The ice is about 4 inches at most. plenty of slush and added snow cover. Nothing is happening in making ice. it will be awhile if we don't get anymore snow.

I did not see anyone else on the lake.

So we are losing ice? Last weekend was 5-6", I was the only one out there last weekend as well. I drove the sled around the lake to see if anyone else had been out, not a sole around. Any tracks out there? Where did you fish and what was the result? I never even seen anything on the Vex, I drilled about 50+ holes.

I cant account for where you were on the lake as to ice thickness. where I was near the 1st island. I measured 4 inches. Probably thicker in sections that froze 1st. being as cold as it was, moving around was difficult alone with the slush and unrealiable ice conditions. So we stayed put.

really believe there are spots that could have less ice.

the crappies hit good later in the morning. 26 feet. They were not jumping out of the hole but it was "color" factor for sure.

There was one sled going across the the center. The lake is a bit spooky at this point.

I have to add.... this year is bad right from the get go. The ice will be bad for a while.. it has been in negative numbers for awhile . Saturday it neve got much above zero. Sunday morning again was 20 below just like saturday morning. The cold has had very little effect on the slush. It amazing how the water under the snow won't freeze.

I saw no one else on the lake except the one snowmobiler that maintaind about 60 MPH running the lake.

I don't what to tell yah about you finding 5 to 6 inches in one spot and I found 4. I found 4 inches where I was.

Over the years, the lake has had many a bad year for slush. With all the springs along shore its pretty much a given. In front of our place, there is an area that NEVER freezes over. All we can do is hope for warmer weather to pack down the snow, then get cold as hell..Then the ice might come around..We can only hope.

At least you got to mark a few. I probably won't get up there til around XMAS now.

GOOD LUCK, BE SAFE

agree on the warmer weather to pack the snow down and make it absorb the water and get colder temps to freeze it solid. When you begin to see those yellow spots out on the lakes, thats whats happening.

We use to go off the lake over to whispering along that shore line your on with the snow mobiles. I recall areas on the east shore where the snow piles up deeper and prevents freezing.

We ice fish a spot down the east shore from you, towards the 1st island. We didn't get that far this weekend because

it was to scary. we got to the west side of the 1st island.

The crappies are not what they used to be. I still believe the north end has the larger fish. Larger is isn't much larger though than the 9 inchers I got. the size structure has gone down hill. A 10 inch fish is a nice one these days.