• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Reel Weeds for Spearing

Covey

I just bought a 2-pack of reel weeds. Wondering what you all think or if anybody has used them. Any opinions? I'm going to Winnie next week and thought they would work great on Bowen flats.

I have never used them, but just bought some. I believe in them, and i believe that they are going to work well. Let me know how they work when you are up on winnie

I think they are a great ideal for fishing for panfish, but i dont think i would like them for spearing. The reason why is because they might get in the way when you are throwing your spear. If you put them on the side of the hole they will still get in the way and you wont beable to see the fish that dont come all the way into the hole. They are a great product but im not sure they are a great ideal for spearing. smile.gif

With that being said, if you spear on a lake that doesnt have a lot of weeds then i can see you using them, but there isnt alot of lakes in Minnesota without weeds. smirk.gif

CB

Another out of the box idea, pushing the envelope.

Initially I'm not sure I like it for visibility problems, getting in the way.

BBBUUUUTTTT, if you were to put them a few feet off the hole, the pike might pick up on them like a lion stalking an antelope. He would probably stay behind the weeds and then slowly move in. It'd be worth a try anyways. Somebody get on this idea and let us know how it works.

I was thinking about putting them underneath me. That way I won't be able to see them and they shouldn't get in the way. We'll see what happens.

Everyone that uses them please let us know how they work. I have been interested in these for a while now. Just curious how they work. My buddy thinks that they are a joke and would never work. I just want to prove him wrong so let me know how it goes.

I don't see the point of them in a spear house. I want the northern to see my decoy and I could care less if he feels comfortable in a 2 pack of oversized fishtank decor. Just my opinion.

Now when I am fishing Panfish this year, I am going to give them a try because I think that they will hold in the same spot a little longer while we continue to set the hook.

A friend put some down last year after the walleye fishing had slowed and actually had some luck. He put them out in the morning and came back later that day and what would ya know but there were some eyes in them.

Anything is worth a try I guess. Maybe try setting up a little ways from the inside weed edge and see what happens.

I have also been thinking about using reel weeds in the spear house. Being my spear hole is 17"x 7'6 I was thinking about each end when spearing alone and sitting in the middle. just an idea I want to try smile.gif

I mostly Spear on a bare flat, when you drill a hole and see weeds it's a bonus. I think having reel weeds would be perfect for that. If they do work and hold some perch or walleye in them that should either give a northern a place to cruise by or offer me some angling oppurtunities.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I tried using reel weeds. I'm not sold on them at all. In fact I wish I wouldn't have bought them. I fished in a group with seven other guys. We Speared for three days and over that time I didn't have any better luck than anyone else.

Well that's too bad. Glad somebody tried it. Pike are tough to pattern around vegetation like other fish. And spearing is a whole different game than angling.

I wouldn't bury it, it might work in the right circumstances, but we've got to figure out what those circumstances are...

I think if you are going to use them you need to be surrounded by real weeds. I think if you were to add these weeds to the edge to create more of a weedline that might allow you to set up deeper, I think it works. But to put them in your hole and you aren't seeing any other weeds in your hole, than I don't think idea would work.

i have never used these in my spear hole, although, i think they would work. There a product that is going to help you out when structor is around the hole.

I am going to buy some of these and try them out to see if it is that they will work