• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice Conditions!

change of plans not going to upper mission, gonna chase some walleyes today

(Pelican Lake) Sunday the 2nd: There was a portable right in the middle of the big part. I couldn't tell for sure but they might have had a Four Wheeler out there as well.

Ice conditions continue to get better out there considerring the situation. The snow has really made it tough to move around. Some of our ice fishing guides have been out and about but travel has been limited to the smaller to medium sized lakes like Round and North Long. Walking out has been the norm so far. If you can get out there the fishing has been pretty good for walleyes. The cold temps look like they will continue so we will have to keep an eye on things, at least it'll keep making some ice.

Jason Erlandson

Gator,

Did you still go to Mission? I went to Round lake, caught a few walters in 25 ft, and drove my sled out there:) 6-7.5 in of ice

Not trying to put anyone on the hook,and I am not getting to jumpy to go on thin ice/bad ice with the wheeler,but are you saying it is looking decent for ATV traffic on Round? My aunt and uncle have a house on Ojibway Rd.,so it wouldn't be a problem to make the trek up that a way.

Here is the latest from some of our winter fishing guides:

Gull- Not good yet

Round- 6 inches

North Long- 3 to six or more in the bays, 3 inches out to the first break on the main lake.

Gull Chain- 3 to 8 inches

Everywhere we have checked has varied greatly from spot to spot. Please use caution as you head out. For this weekend I would walk out rather than sleds or wheelers. By next week our lakes could be much better. This cold weather is really helping.

Jason Erlandson

Thanks for the clarification,Jason. I'll give it a few days before I use the ATV, to be on the safe side.Not that walking out isn't an option,too.Thanks again.

S&E--went out on LM thurs, highly variable ice conditions. lots of slush out 75-100ft once out past that the ice varied between 4 and 8 inches. I didn't want to take my snowmobile through the slush. I heard talk at a party on Saturday that a sled went though friday on upper right out front of the access. Looks like a tough winter for fishing.

Hey Gator,

thanks for the report, I might wait a few days(weeks), slush creeps me out.

I really haven't heard too much from the Merrifield end of the lake. I know that there have been a few anglers hitting the main lake where the shorelines have had 4-6 inches of ice.

Here is my latest: I was out this afternoon to check out the conditions. All I have to say is that it is pretty nasty out there. The slush is horrible to deal with. I think walking out may be the only solution right now. I tried a 4 wheeler for about 2 minutes before I realized it was pointless. Snowmobiles may be OK on some lakes. The ice looks real good under the slush but it surely hasn't made much over the last week. I couldn't get to the point that I was hoping to fish so I had to go to my backup spot. It wasn't much of a spot but I did get an idea of what the conditions were like. I think we need some serious extended cold to solidify everything. I fished a spot about 30 yards from shore on Round lake. There was about 5 inches of ice where I was.

Jason Erlandson

Thanks jtm,

Are the perms only on that first break still or have they ventured across to the big weed flats? Do you know how much ice is out that way?

Thank You,

Thanks much, so I can pretty safely fish, will still have the spud bar, and will wait on the wheeler.

Thanks again.

I was out on a mid size lake just north of brainerd/baxter. I found top layer of ice/frozen slush to be 2-4 inches, With 3 inches of water below followed by 4-less then 1 inch solid ice. If you were to walk across this lake, you would not make it. All I could do is fish the first break with 4 inch of good ice.

The ice is no safe on all lakes, so ask before you hit the water. <- Literally

p.s Friday, caught and released a 28 inch walleye on round. The only fish of the day but well worth it.

Was on pelican last nite. About 7-8" with some slush pockets. Somewhat improved from last week, still some large slush areas.Some permanent houses being pulled out. Saw one that was stuck in slush, took 3 wheelers to get it out. Going to wait for a week or so to put big house out and not that far out. Can get around on wheeler pretty easy. Hope we dont get more snow.

Anyone been over to the northeast side of Pelican? Just north of Velvet beach? How is the ice over that way? I am heading up in a week and just wondering if I will be good to go.

There has been people there, heard reports of 6 to 10 inches. I believe you have to go from the south side unless you have another access point