• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Shed Hunting

DeanoB

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shedfreak

• jkcmj

• bowhunters

• ChompChomp_YANK

I finally came up with another shed today. This one will be especially unique as I found it on the 2-29-08 which will be difficult to replicate with the leap year and all.

2-29-08leapyearshedantlerfoundatBob.jpg

that is pretty col to find one on leap day. I went out but was unsucessful.

I just talked to a buddy of mine and he told me he had 4 bucks @ the feeder last night all without head gear.

yea i think alomost all of the deer lost their antlers. i been out everyday for the last 5 day and havent found one. i know they are there but their just barried

i found my first one of the season over the weekend. that makes it six straight years with at least one shed. i think the snow is hiding a few of them in my area.

Here is my collection of sheds that I've acquired through three years of searching. My first year I only found 1 set(The small matching set below). My second year I found the massive 6-point side, and this year I've found 7 total including the matching 9-point set pictured below. Some antlers are not pictured. Enjoy!

IMG_4312.jpg

IMG_4314.jpg

IMG_4315.jpg

IMG_4316.jpg

IMG_4317.jpg

IMG_4318_2.jpg

IMG_4319.jpg

IMG_4320_2.jpg

IMG_4323.jpg

IMG_4324_2.jpg

IMG_4325.jpg

Hopefully more to come after some of this snow melts. I was hitting the woods pretty hard before it rained up here and froze everything the other day.

Nice collection you've got going. This shed hunting has been kicking my a$$. I've been putting in my time in an area there's so much sign you'd think I would be tripping over antlers and can't find one for the life of me.

sweet collection. yea i cant wait till the snow melts. i ben hitting it hard but no luck.

My brother went out in a previously flooded corn field near his house where deer have been feeding on damaged corn remaining in the field. He picked up 7 antlers, all singles, in 25 minutes just before dark. I never get that lucky.

Nice indeed EatSleep, so do you have big plans for them? Plan on doing something artistic with them? I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures of what some of you are creating, or making with you gathered sheds.

Good looking collection...

Like others I've come up empty-handed so far. Lots of hours walking and nothing to show for it. But that first one makes it all worthwhile.

The bucks that have been coming into my dad's feeders all winter are all still sporting their racks. I think it has something to do w/ good nutrition in the food he's feeding. He even saw a 10 and 8 pushing each other around yesterday and was hoping for some antlers to start dropping, but no luck. They'll probably be bald today and we'll have to scour the woods and "maybe" find somehting. It'd be so much easier if they'd just drop their antlers at the feeders! LOL

He buys his feed in Grand Rapids and it has corn, alfalfa pellets, molasses and I'm not sure what else in it.

Brian

My friends and i have been lookin for sheds since about the middle of feb. the only antlers weve seen was on a dead deer that one of the neighbors shot with a bow withOUT a broadhead. how dumb is that. it was only like 30 yds from his stand to. what a waste little 8 pointer. why would u do that. But anyway any tips on finding sheds. i know we have at least 5 shooter bucks around the property. just cant find any antlers?!

This is a pic of the best of the ones my brother picked up on 3-4-08. A lot of character on this one.

007.jpg

Wow, tell your bro nice find!!! That tine is awesome! Went out for 4 hours today, looked in some good areas that I had previously had luck earlier in the year and came up empty handed. Good trails and bedding areas but I don't think the bucks are using these areas as much. Hopefully this snow will melt soon and we can start finding those sheds that were dropped before the snowfall.

A friend of mine picked this nice set up just as they lay in the photo out in a hay field.

100_5765.jpg

My brother Errol picked up this nice shed across the road from his house.

Errolsshedfind3-7-08.jpg

wow you guys are having some great luck out there so far! i have been out about 2 or 3 times lately and so far have had no luck. usually we find 2 or 3in a year. still hoping to goout and look a little more

Went out yesterday afternoon after getting back from the deer classic. I tried a area that I havnt been into for a long time. There was more sno than I thought there would be. I did manage to find a 4pt. shed it wasnt anything big but still a good find. It did probably help that I was looking at antlers for three hours before going out. WOW there were some huge sheds @ the classic alot of them scorring over 90". I will be back after some of the snow melts this is a awsome spot lots & lots of sign. I want to kick myself for not looking this spot over in the past.

I was out on Saturday didnt find any sheds but saw two that still had their antlers

I dont know how you guys can find those dang antlers. my buddies and i took a whole weekend walked the whole property and the neighbors 600 and didnt find a single one. I swear im calcium blind.

I took my 10 year old daughter out shed hunting yesterday, no sheds found, but we did get to see several grouse, turkey, deer, squirrel, and a rabbit. I was able to help her identify fox, coyote, deer, grouse, turkey, squirrel, and rabbit tracks in the snow. We also identified coyote beds along a ridge, deer beds, deer rubs, squirrel nests, and found a large Burr Oak that turkeys were roosting in on a regular basis. To start she couldn't idendtify anything, but by the end she was getting it right every track we saw which was pretty cool.

that the way to do it get kids involved. that what my dad did when i was younger

Whiteail freak, I know what you mean man... I often wonder how many I have missed in the many hours I have walked. It seems to me just roughly that I probably put in at least 8 - 10 hours of walking per shed found. I am way over due now though, I think I am sneaking up on 30 hours of hiking w/o finding a shed. Keep at it, its just a matter of time in the woods.

So yesterday I post that I have had a long drought, today I find a 10" spike in the first 15 minutres of walking! Finally the drought is over, now hopefully I can wander my way onto something a bit bigger!

I went out yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours. No luck with the antlers. I did come across a couple of possums. Lets just say they wont be eating any more pheasant or duck eggs.

I love shed hunting but unless you have exclusive areas i think alot of the bucks get chased off by guys going to early before even 50% of the bucks have shed.If they get driven out sometimes it's tuff to find them. My buddy whos a shed huntin freak would like to wait but he knows other people are out there pickin sheds so he goes in hopes he will get em before the next guy.

I wish i could show you this guy's sheds there huge and some are matching sets. Ive found dandy's but nothing like my buddy has found. He has more bone in his house then any one else i know. It's an antler museum. His biggest set so far is a non typ, it scored 198" it was massive.

WOW!! That sounds like a sweet set....with a spread over 200". I bet folks are drooling hoping you can get a pic of those.

What happened to SHEDFREAK..... he used to be on this thread daily!

Ive asked my buddy to bring them to the deer classic but he wont do it. He doesn't want nosey people asking questions. He's really protective of his spots. But i assure you they are for real i wish he would show them off. In fact he's so protective of the spots he wont tell me where. And ive known the guy for twentyfive years.