• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Shed Hunting

DeanoB

Thank You trigger I had new I read it somewhere but couldnt remember. Thats right where I read it in the outdoor news. Shedfreak if you read triggers post it states where the rule is. One of the main reasons they made this rule was because deer where getting caught in these and diing.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shedfreak

• jkcmj

• bowhunters

• ChompChomp_YANK

I was just going to paste that same information. Trigger, ya beat me to it. Iver never used one of them, dont know well they would work, but now I will definitely not use one. And Please post some pics of these nontypical shed!!

Just talked to the electrician again and he said he also has a typical shed that will go 90". Still trying to get pictures of them. I'll pressure him some more next time I see him might be tomorrow.

im pretty anxious to see them. Where is your electrician from? ? I know of a big nontypical and typical that are in the the same area, typical would probably be around 90... wonder if he found the ones i am after! I NEED to see them ! haha

First big one of the year. 3 below zero!!! big heavy 5 point side, almost a 7! One busted tine comin of the g3 and the fork on the g2 is there, but not long enough! Needless to say im pretty happy with the find. Record book antler no doubt.

004-5.jpg

005-4.jpg

002-4.jpg

He's from the Grand Rapids area and he found them over the years in many different areas. Of course he never tells me exactly where he found them but some were found around the big falls area. I'll give him a call and see if I can get pictures sooner than later.

Nice find! That first moment seeing that antler makes it all worthwhile. That deer trail hardly looks used...

Nice find Aaron, he's a dandy! He'll definitely be a shooter this year. My buddy say alll the bucks coming into his yard still have both sides, so there will be many more coming in the nexct few weeks I would bet!

Here's a couple of the sheds we've found so far this year. The big guy we've been chasing now the past couple of years luckily didn't get shot this year, and we were lucky to find his antlers. My buddy found the first one on January 4th, I found the other half this wkd on Sat. My girlfriend found her first shed, a 5 point. Nice first find, she was excited!!! Here are some pics to enjoy. The big guy scored 150.5. Hopefully, he's just as nice next year.

>

>

>

>

>

Wow. Nice finds you guys. I looked for 2 hours Tuesday with no luck. Just found a deer trail and kept following it. Found 7 beds with no luck. My father and I are going tomorrow. You would think if any antlers have fallen within the last week to 10 days they would be sitting on top of the hard snow.

i was out last night coyote hunting (not to change the subject) but i had 2 bucks come by one 6 pt. had both sides and one 4pt he only had 1side. went out this afternoon looking for sheds and all i found was coyote tracks. go figure !! i was also out pheasant hunting at a game farm in hinckley in 2nd week of jan and found a 4pt shed. i hope to get out in the next couple of weeks and look for some more.

Found a 4 point shed last night. Only had an hour to look, so it was pretty awesome. It's good to get the first one of the year out of the way! It was covered over with snow, so this one was dropped pretty early!

I found my second antler in the dark tonight around 7pm. It lay in a melted deer bed and showed up white against the dark background. Pretty cool even though the 7 inch main beam isn't to impressive!

I went out yesterday for about an hour and a half with nothing to show. Walked around a unpicked corn field and followed trails to their bedding site and found about 10 beds. There were still alot of snow on the ground.

hey guys im new to shed hunting and it seems like every time i go out im either too early too late or i just cant find them i know there are TONS of deer where im looking i just am not sure when the best time to look for them is

hey i havent been on in awhile, sounds like a few of you are finding some sheds. I remember seeing that trail cam picture of the deer with the stickers, thats awesome you got his sheds. Im a little jealous. I dont have private land to walk, so ive been pretty fortunate to have the success ive had. I found one more last friday, a small 4 point side. Its number 4 on the year for me, so far, hope to quadruple that atleast. We will see, how it plays out once the competition kicks into full gear. I did see 7 bucks yesterday still sporting both sides, so thats some good news. I didnt get a pic of the shed as it lay because the camera was so cold it wouldnt work, but here are a couple of it after I got it home. Keep those pictures coming guys!!

002-6.jpg

003-7.jpg

I'm heading up to Carlton to look more this wkd. With there being no new snow for a long time I'm hoping to find a couple sheds. I havn't looked now for about 2 weeks. Its definetely easy walking out there. The only bad thing is only about half if that half dropped antlers so far judging by my trail cam pics. I'll post anything I find on Monday. Good luck to everyone!!!

cj

shedfreak i got one that matches that one to a "T" just opposit side. Had a good heavy 9 pt. 130's class buck @ the feeder last night with both sides, hope he hanges around and drops them soon.

ShedFreak.....will you email me at the address below, I have a question about a spot in Duluth

I posted back in early January about two bucks that had each lost on Antler a couple weeks before that.

Then the Forum got all tangled up and I lost the placement of this thread.

Well I found it again, and these two bucks lost their other side about two weeks ago.

I have not seen these early drops before,usually not till mid- Feb or March.

Any experts out there that can say what causes the Antler to be ready to drop, and why it may change year to year???

Seems like it would be an advantage against predators to keep them through the Winter, like normal.

Thats a nice matching set. Good work.

Well, I looked for 4 hours on sat. and 3 hours today. My goal was to find 3 antlers this wkd. I found one. It was kind of cool though. There is a hard crust on the top layer of snow. The antler fell off and landed with the g2 spearing the snow so the base was up. Never saw this before. Talk about bleed. Several feet after I found the antler, blood starting dripping a lot. I was able to follow it about 125 yds by the blood trail till it dried up. I havn't ever seen that either. Never found the other half though. Here's some pics. Enjoy!!

>

>

>

>

Talking about the bleeding, I followed one about 2 miles that was just dripping blood at a pretty regular pace, and never did manage to locate the antler. I would have thought that they would have dried up pretty quick, but this guy obviously bled for quite a while.

Found a smaller 3 point side last sunday, and was out for a couple hours before the game tonight and saw a 12 and a 6 point with both sides still on. Didn't find anything tonight though

Here are the bases on that nice matched set. Awesome color and mass. Gets me pumped for the season!

Stevesmatchedset2-2-08.jpg

Had a 10 point come in to the yard friday evening.. Still had both side of headgear on...