• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

"Watch your Step" Walleyes

I've got a headache... I'm laying flat on my back... Feet are in the water... Head just cracked the concrete... and I haven't even wet a line yet. This trip was not starting out very well. One little misstep at the boat ramp and my feet are heading towards the sky and my back and head are crashing down onto the concrete with a force that takes your breath from you. Ouch! I'm going to be sore tomorrow!

So here's a big reminder, be careful and watch your step when its 10 degrees outside and the depthfinder in your boat is telling you the water temp is an even 32 degrees. Those ramps get slick quick!

Between the 30mph wind, small sheets and chunks of ice, cold air temps, taking a hard fall on the boat ramp, boat starter battery dead, and the trolling motor freezing up.... We had a blast!

And I caught my personal best walleye tonight!

28" Walleye weighing 9 1/2 lbs

11-28-07%20Hanson%20Eye%201.jpg

Got another shot of this girl as well...

11-28-07%20Hanson%20Eye%202.jpg

Dtro was putting on the clinic again tonight boating these 2 beauties before I "finally" got in the action with a nice fish of my own.

26" Walleye weighing 8 1/2 lbs

002.jpg

27" Walleye weighing 9 1/2 lbs

005.jpg

I still cannot believe the weight these fish carry at this time of year on the river. All these big walleyes are carrying 2-3lbs more weight than a comparable length lake fish. Good diet of shad and emeralds for these girls!

Really nothing special about our technique or location, just working the current seams with jig and minnow slowly on the slack side of the seam. The best areas seam to have the deeper water nearby.

Besides the 'eyes, a variety pack of fish came to play tonight including a dandy carp, sheepshead, and 1 lone eater sized 'eye.

What an interesting night! Now I have to get Darren on some of those 14-15" Upper Red Lake Crappies in return. wink.gif

If these air temps keep up, the river will be full of ice soon.

Fun night Chris, that was a blast.

That fall could have been a disaster.

I looked forward and said, "give me a shove" looked back to start the motor, looked forward again.........no Hanson. shocked.gif

That may have been the last hurrah unless we get some warmer weather, a few of those ice chunks were rather large.

Looks to me like darren could be the guide of the year for the large eyes he's finding for us.

Way to go on the nice fish. I know they are all swimming yet too.

Quote:

I know they are all swimming yet too.

Of course...... but it was scary being so cold, catch the fish, quick measurement/photo and right back in. Any more than a minute or two out of the water and there would've been issues.

Wow, you two never cease to amaze. Congrats to both of you. Darren is having quite the fall, he even "trumped" Hanson for top spot on the home page! Sounds like Hanson had quite the "fall" too. Ouch, hope all is good. I know how the couch, ice & Iboprofren is....

Those fish are awesome, girth is unreal, but I have to say, you gotta keep the talk about how good river fishing is on the back burner. Enough about how good river fishing is!!

Chris

Quote:

You gotta keep the talk about how good river fishing is on the back burner. Enough about how good river fishing is!!

Well... the fishing can be good but it sure isn't a slam dunk. For every good river report, there are probably 3-4 other outings that were near failures that folks here don't read about. Its all about paying your dues and putting in your time. I've pulled many all nighters flatheading without so much as a twitch, no clicker, nothing. Very frustrating!

The walleyes give you a couple brief windows to target them with success, the rest of the year you might as well try fishing cats, whites, carp, or sheepies.

If you have the patience and determination, it can be a fun place to fish. I'm betting I have more days and/or nights logged this summer without catching a fish than I do have catching them. It can get real frustrating at times.

Quote:

Quote:

You gotta keep the talk about how good river fishing is on the back burner. Enough about how good river fishing is!!

Well... the fishing can be good but it sure isn't a slam dunk. For every good river report, there are probably 3-4 other outings that were near failures that folks here don't read about.

Nice fish, but I wouldn't say that. For guys that know what they are doing and live near it or have been fishing it for a while - the river rats, fall around slug to turkey day is pretty much a sure bet. Maybe not for those big ones all the time, but guys that fish that river(myself included) know dam well what is in there and how easy they can be in the fall. Again not always the big one and those are some beautiful fish.

Quote:

Looks to me like darren could be the guide of the year

Easy there big fella.

Let's not go overboard. We (not just me) found and patterned some big fish. Add some free time (and a little insanity) and you have a recipe for success. cool.gif

Way to go guys! Looking at the river this morning I may put the boat away. Some of those ice chunks looked pretty intimidating. I've got the ice fishing gear ready, and should be on some small lakes in a few days.

Dang Hanson!!!! I'm glad you got a biggie to make the boo boo a little better.

Nice fish Mates!!!!

Man, for Hanson taking that plunge and being sore, he sure looks like he is having alot of fun. The Hanson smile grin.gif.

I guess a walleye like that would take the edge off of pain.

For like the tenth time this week, nice fish DTRO.

Nice fish the both of ya.

Chris, you and dtro are amazing. Thanks for the great pics and info. Can you tell us what time of the day you caught those big 'eyes? grin.gif

The photos have the time stamps on them.

#1 was at 1650 (4:50pm)

#2 was at 1750 (5:50pm)

#3 was at 1808 (6:08pm)

The bite has been that hour right before dark and slightly after dark as well. Now we have an ice issue. frown.gif