• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Well, after eight inches of snow in two different systems and shoveling the whole driveway area (twice) in two days, I figured it was time for a little fun.

Old snowmobiles being what they are, I was ready for a little wrestling with the track and plugs and carb on the 1980 Yamaha Exciter 440, but I just cleaned the plugs, shot a little starter fluid into the air intake and she fired up and ran (on last year's gas with Seafoam in the tank) just like always. Track spun sweet with no burning of the clutch belts, and I was off.

Man, that first face full of powder when I ran her around the neighborhood was just the right welcome-to-winter tonic! Um, just where IS that darn snowmobile helmet? grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Yup, I hear you Steve.

I got my old Honda 4 wheeler running like a top last week, but with all this new snow, it may be time to start thinking about the snowmobile, too. My permanent shack is taking up all the room in the garage right now. Had to give it an "Extreme Make-Over". It is finally ready for paint now. Anyways, My 2004 Arctic Cat F-6 has not left the garage in 2 years now! I think that is my next project.

Who knew fishing could be so much work?

Justin

Quote:

after eight inches of snow in two different systems

Wow-it's just a regular winter wonderland up there for you Elyites (or Elygians or Elyhovians)! I think we only have about an inch here in Carlton. We have some major work to do on our snowmobile-she's got some pretty nasty parts to be replaced.

I AM a bit worried about the new ice. All this snow isn't doing it any good. I'd have preferred no snow for the next week and cold temps, but last I checked I just didn't have any pull in the weather department. wink.gif

Anyway, an outdoorsman (and outdoorswoman) has just gotta take whatever comes and make the best of it, eh? grin.gif

Not to worry Steve, it's light powder. tongue.gif

Now if it was wet and heavy, we'd have a major problem! frown.gif

Jim, things aren't too great out there. The snow has been pushing alot of water on top of the ice already. I set the Otter up and drilled 2 holes and after 45 minutes, I was almost in need of a canoe. There is alot more weight to the new snow than I thought...the ice was slumping under my feet. I am all done going out there until I can drive my wheeler or sled and the ice is MUCH safer...like 6" at least! Be safe out there, people!!! Stay far away from snow drifts along the edges!!!!

Justin

Steve,

I'll be at the office from 9??? until around 10 am, then to Duluth for some legal business and minnows.

Hope to be back in Ely with bait unloaded by 3:30-4:00 at the latest.

Justin,

How much ice on the lake??? confused.gif

That much water with light snow, couldn't be much over 3 inches. mad.gif

Thanks, GO. The bait is what I'm interested in. Considering the good ice report I've gotten from a few of my fave spots on smaller lakes or small bays on bigger water, I may actually start fishing Friday so will need bait Thursday.

Quote:

Old snowmobiles being what they are, I was ready for a little wrestling with the track and plugs and carb on the 1980 Yamaha Exciter 440, but I just cleaned the plugs, shot a little starter fluid into the air intake and she fired up and ran (on last year's gas with Seafoam in the tank) just like always. Track spun sweet with no burning of the clutch belts, and I was off.

I was wondering what the heck was going on. First this strange rumble heard all across town, then the fire dept and EPA combing the neighborhoods. grin.gif

Glad she's up and running. The beast awakens.

Got my sleds fired up this last weekend also. Ran the fogging oil outta them and cleaned up the plugs. Still need to go over it and give it a good greasing, but did replace the windshield I broke up in Ontario last year. Not enough snow for a run around the neighborhood yet tho.

Anyone have any advice on straightening out a ski?? I bounced off a boulder and whacked a red pine last year (same "incident" as windshield) on a bush trail coming off a lake in Ontario. I have the old style steel ski's on my Indy trail. I had planned on heating it up and trying to pound it out straight. The only damage is about 6" on the outside ski edge, and the metal support above. Its gonna have to be fixed on the sled, cause I really dont think that i can get the ski off anymore (its a '96).

Xplorer, I think I have a spare ski from a 95 xcr in my back garage. I will verify I still have it this afternoon, If I do it is yours if you want it. I have not decided if I will make the Fish lake event, but if anyone is coming down to the ice fishing show this weekend, I only live a few blocks of 35w in circle pines.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Chris, hope the ski Dave has will work for you.

I've straightened the rolls at mid ski but the supports weren't bent. The ski should come off. Usually the bottoms of the skies rust out by now.

Viking,

Just got back from a few days of R&R in Vegas (if you can call it that wink.gif ) so just seeing this.

If you still have it I sure would appreciate it. I would imagine I could find a few cold ones as a "donation" smile.gif I hope that i can get the old ski off the machine, i dont think that its ever been off before. I know when I've replaced skegs I've never had it off.

Thanks for the offer, and let me know how the search went. If you found it I'll figure out a way to get it.

Frank, I've been lucky to have been able to store it inside all these years, and even tho the rust is really starting to acculmulate, the sled is in pretty good shape yet. Always made sure to give it a good cleaning before putting it away for the summer.

I do have the ski, and you can have it. I am thinking about coming up to Superior next weekend to kind of check on my boat, the weekend of the 15th. If you know someone that will be in the cities before let me know and they could stop by and pick it up.

You may get lucky, if you spray them with wd a couple days early, they may come right off, otherwise if it snaps off, you can punch it out. Northlander has my phone number if you need to get hold of me, otherwise I usually check the site a couple of times a day.

Dave come on up this weekend and bring the sleds. We can fish and sled around fish lake a bit. Im sure you can get a Cabin still with Tim at a great price. Let me know and Ill get ya hooked up if you decide to come. Im staying at Huighbanks with Ripstick Fri/Sat nights. Going to be a good time.

Viking/Dave,

Muchos Gracias smile.gifsmile.gif

I dont know anyone that will be in the Cities before then, but I will be around all next weekend, I can certainly get over and pick it up wherever you are staying at. Depending on when you are coming up friday I might even be able to meet you on the way up, I live just outside of Cloquet, just minutes NW of Black Bear.

If you accept NL's invitation and come up this weekend, I am hoping to be out on Fish saturday at the get-together also. I will have my 5 year old with since Mom is out of town this weekend, so if it ends up too cold, I would just drive up and meet you there.

Thanks again, I truly do appreciate it!!!

Chris