• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Johan Santana

maros91

I just read on ESPN that the Twins and Yankees are starting to have discussions on a deal that would Santana to New York. If you are going to deal him, deal him to the NL. You better get the farm for him.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maros91

• Mudcutter

• Coach1310

• Willy

Hughes, Cano, Chamberlain, or Cabrera would look good in MN. Good young guys. Maybe 2 of those and some prospects?

One might as well consider Johan gone. problem is you will also have Mauer and others soon too. Twins are just a huge farm system for all of majoe leaque baseball. They find great talent and after a few years, good ol Carl wont cough up. This is never going to change.

Mauer will always get the contract he wants. He is the golden boy of the Twins. He totally gets babied in that organization. I'm certain they'll match any offer on Mauer, it's just a matter of whether he'll stay. It truly won't be about the money with Joe.

I called it yesterday. Both Torii and Johan complained about a lack of a winning attitude in the front office. It's only a matter of time before the others get tired of being also rans and move to teams commited to winning.

Re: Torii Hunter to the Anaheim Angels.. 5 yr 80 mil [Re: CodyDawg] #1207028 - 11/26/07 12:43 PM Edit Reply Quote

It's only a matter of time before Mauer and Morneau are looking to be traded or lost to free agency. Ebenezer Pohlad isn't going to pay anyone. He's taking his money to the grave along with the Twins.

BTW I bet there will soon be a trade involving Santana.

I wish I had a clue about the powerball numbers now.

Make no mistake, Carl Pohlad will die a slow, agonizing, painful death. He cheated farmers during the depression to built his fortune has never used that money for anything other than himself and his billions. That will catch up to him, the man upstairs doesn't forget things.

That said, I would say Johan is gone. As much as I want to keep him, with Hunter leaving, our lineup is about as good as any under .500 team. They will need some upgrades and Johan is our best chip to use to get them.

However, everyone is expecting to get tons for him, but after reading the paper today, I kinda agree with Joe C. I think we will get one major league ready player or top typs prospect, one other AA or AAA prospect and a throw-in player.

To me, that is not worth it for the best pitcher in baseball. Why don't they sign him to a 5 or 6 year extention that has a backloaded contract. All money in MLB is guarnateed anyway. That way some of the revenue from the new stadium can be used to pay for it. We heard all the BS about building the stadium so that we could keep our homegrown talent. Well, I have to believe that alot of the MN sporting public thought that to mean we will sign and keep, Santana, Morneau, Cuddyer, Mauer.

So far we have accomplished one. Terrible front office work.

Also, if we do happen to ink Johan to the big contract he desires, why can't we trade him in a year or two if he or the Twins want out of the contract? Heck, he would be more valuable to a team with a 3-year contract than he is with a one year and headed to the biggest payday of his career.

Spend it, you can still unload if you need to and he is worth more to us as a trading chip signed to a long-term deal than he is now.

I know, we might have to lose a few mill for a couple years, but the stadium will make up for it and if not, unload an start again.

Oh, I'm sure the Twins front office will do something completely stupid and let Santana go for another Tony Batista and a "minor league prospect yet to be named"... or something like that...

While I do agree that Pohlad has done little to create a great product on the field, the organization he owns has won 2 Championships.... thats 2 more than the Vikes, TWolves, Wild etc. Mind you, it did happen when baseball was diffrent as far as salaries etc. How exactly is he a crook who swindled people??? I don't know much of his history, but I thought he started amassing his fortune by buying foreclosed properties...is this true?? Just curious.

As far as Santana... anybody who trades for him will have to get him to agree to an extension to do the deal so the fact he only has one year left has little bearing. And only getting one Major Leaguer and a couple prospects... the Twins won't do the deal for that. They'll be able to get that at the deadline if they want. I would think something like Hughes, Kennedy and Cabrera would be what the Twins are looking at. They won't trade Cano, but outfielders like Cabrera can be found and the Twins need one badly(well, we need a good one badly). Hughes goes right into the rotation and a top level prospect in Kennedy. The Twins will get a lot for him just because there is NOTHING, I mean NOTHING out there for pitchers in Free Agency. The Yanks went big with Randy Johnson, Carl Pavano, Clemens etc and it didn't work out, but Johan Santana is twice the pitcher these guys were. I hope they get it done so we can start moving forward. If we keep him, he may lead the league in ERA and have 14 wins because we won't score!

i just hope that when we trade him, that we are going to get someone that is going to be able to help us out throught the whole year, not someone that is going to come in the Boone, and do nothing for us. We need to get good players to make a team that at least has a chance to win.

I just read that the Boston Red Sox are now in the fore front with this Santana trade..

I don't like Boston or the Yankees.. but if it was between the 2, I would much rather see Santana go to the Red Sox.. Seeing him in a Yankee uniform would be pretty painful.. grin.gif

Some type of poll would be neat in this baseball forum. Just to see where everyone thinks he'll land

"will santana be in a Yankee, Red Sox, Dodgers or Angels uniform for 2008?"

espn is reporting a potential trade with the red sox that would get the twins coco crisp, jon lester, jed lowrie (minor league ss) and another player.

If that is all we are going to get let him go as a free agent!!! Coco is a .280 career hitter. He has speed and plays CF but.....i don't like him that much as a player.

Lester is only 23, but has had cancer...is there any guarantee he will remain cancer free? Plus his era is almost 5! True he is young, but I liked Garza more than this guy. And 2 minor leaguers...

WOW- we are gonna be hurting if that is all we get for him...I think the twins are toast if they do this deal. He is THE BEST pitcher in baseball. You can't let him go for that cheap...

I agree we should get much more for him than that,what is going on with this team, a new stadium and they are going to go in the tank.Very frustrating to say the least!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think if it happens, it will end up being the Yankees. They have to offer more than the Red Sox. They need the pitching worse and being the Sox supposedly made Birkholz(the kid that threw the no hitter) and Ellsbury off limits, they can't put together as good of a deal. I'm hoping for Hughes, Kennedy and Cabrera. That is a pretty big stretch, but Hughes, Cabrera and a couple of prospects is alright and more realistic. If we trade with the Mets and end up with Reyes and some prospects I will be dissappointed. I would rather have David Wright.

I'd be just fine with REYES. Wow, he's one of the most electric players in the game. We won't have a chance at Reyes or Wright...and if we actually trade Santana for CRISP, LESTER and a prospect?...I might have to go puke in my mouth...If you're the...thrown in Ellsbury...the Yanks?...throw in a Cano or Joba...Come on...these guys are untouchable? We're talking about Johan!

I think the Mets have the most to offer for the needs of the Twins. They just built a new stadium or it's going up right now, and need a little flash to add to their team after a historcial collapse last year. We just got rid of our starting SS and picked up a potential CF in Young. We need a SS and a 3B.

Reyes is absoultley electric once he gets on base and really messes with the other team. Wright is 35-40 HR guy.

I think it's the Mets,, and Reyes or Wright or likely both better be involved for an almost sure bet NL east champs if they get Black mAgic.

Our lineup would be preety potent. Reyes,Young,Mauer,Wright,Morneau,Cuddyer,Kubel--- too bad we can't get rid of Punto's bat.-- if we did -- that's the best lineup in baseball with a quality DH.

You can stop wishing for Reyes. It ain't happening. Omar Minaya-Met's GM- said "I don't see us trading Jose Reyes for one of those guys being mentioned. It just doesn't make sense for us."

He may want Santana, but he isn't giving up Reyes. Besides, didn't we just get our starting SS in that trade with the D-Rays?

You're right msky...there's not chance at Reyes or Wright, and there's really no shot we'd get both of them in a trade. This Red Sox stuff scares me though. Crisp, Lester and a prospect? I just looked up Crisps' career stats and he never panned out with Boston.

i think this is just heating up. you're going to see more and more rumors on this before its over. i imagine more teams will be sliding rumors across the table (cubs, angels, dodgers)

and if the yanks and bosox turn this into "we'll do whatever it takes so he doesn't go to your team" competition, who knows whats going to happen.

Coco Crisp better not be part of any deal. The Red Sox trade better not happen. The Yankee trade sounds better. I think Phil Hughes will be great someday. I do agree that this thing is just heating up. There will be more teams involved. The Mets will not trade either of those two. They just inked them both to long term contracts last year. We just better get 2 top pitching prospects and 2 other players. Don't screw this one up GM Bill Smith.

Quote:

You can stop wishing for Reyes. It ain't happening. Omar Minaya-Met's GM- said "I don't see us trading Jose Reyes for one of those guys being mentioned. It just doesn't make sense for us."

He may want Santana, but he isn't giving up Reyes. Besides, didn't we just get our starting SS in that trade with the D-Rays?

I am not saying it is going to happen but this would not be the first time a GM lied either. He can't risk saying he is willing to trade his best player and then if the trade doesn't happen he has upset a player, fans and possibly a locker room. Denying it covers his bases until it is finished.

Many times, the rumors you hear never happen but out of the blue some team steps up. For example, Windy told us it was a done deal that Torii was gonna be a Tighty Whitey, then Poof! he is an Angel.

My prediction: He will go to the NL and that is as far as I will go.

I read in the paper today the the Mariners are also interested. Who knows what they have to offer. King Felix maybe? Probably not. Wishful thinking.

Report out today says that the Twins are insisting that Hughes be the centerpiece of any Santana-to-the-Yankees deal; probably also including Melky Cabrera along with a couple others.

The Twins are very interested in Crisp, but may work a different deal with other players to get him. He won't cost Santana. One reported option, though, has Santana to the BoSox for Crisp, Lester, and another two or three prime prospects. And...after missing out on Hunter, the White Sox are now interested in Crisp, as well.

And the Mets traded Milledge away to the Nationals today, so that takes away a key player in their trade arsenal. I don't see Santana going to the Mets at this point.

Another rumor has the Angels interested in Santana, with the Angels reportedly offering Brandon Wood and Joe Saunders...but the Twins (reportedly) wanting Wood and Jared Weaver. That is interesting because Wood was playing mainly at 3B when he came up with the Angels last year.

I haven't seen anything about discussions with the Mariners...but they have a couple very, very good young infielders...

I think what we learned in the Hunter to the Angels deal is rumors really don't matter. blush.gif

So where are these rumors coming from? Talk radio? The Paper? Internet? A blog?

You can bet your a$$ the players aren't talking publicly about their options and team management isn't either. Its all a game. Its all leverage.

If I'm working a contract offer with a competitor of my place of employment, I ain't telling anyone until the deal is done. Same thing with pro sports.

I won't believe any rumored deal or any deal until it "officially" happens.

Yeah...it's all speculation at this point. Most of that info in my earlier post comes from reporters and blogs on the MLB website, and some on Fox Sports website. And much of that is thier speculation.

All speculation...but hey...it's 'Hot Stove League'...it is fun to speculate...