• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best Guess

When will the resorts let people fish?????? Which resort typically freezes over first?? Last year I went out of Zipple and had a good time, but I might try Pine Island this year a little more.....

Thats a good question as it will depend entirely on the weather and freeze up. Fisky reported some strong winds up that way. the temps are good but a couple of quiet days and nights to seal it up are needed. We had 5 above in St Cloud this morning, but 20 mph winds. Lets pray for quiet times.. Bill

King, usually around the second weekend in December or so. Zippel, Morris and The Pine island area all sort of freeze up about the same as far as 'when'.

Bill...twas -9 at 7am and the winds sklacked overnite. River is froze up shore to shore on Sportsmans webcam I see, was wide open yesterday morning!

Yhe wait won't be a long one this year and I have'nt even gotten ANY of my ice gear ready! That'll give me something to do the next coupla days anyhow. Did run the Jiffy a coupla weeks back though.

Fisky: Good to hear that the winds layed down. It was a bit of a mess last year over Pine where the winds picked up and tore up the ice that had formed. Hopefully nice and smooth like a skating rink this year. We're headed up the first time on Dec 26, don't see any problems by then.

You may want to kick it into high gear and get those rods rigged and ready. I know you like to hit it early and that could be by the weekend for walking ice. Be watching for your always interesting reports again this year. Bill

Hey Norm, noticed on another site that someone couldn't get thru to Long Pt resort. You heard anything? Maybe vacation time for the crew.

See you on the ice.

Your probably right Steve and they're vacationing during the off season.. Maybe real busy?

Bill.. "Hang on" as you say! The 26th will get here and we will leave a few with your name on them! One of my 'goals for the hardwater season' is to carry less rods/tackle and such so getting it ready won't be a problem!!! 3 rods and 8-10 lure varients for the first week or so!

Tic tock tic tock

Fisky make sure you get a hold of me as soon as you guys can walk out safely and get on some eyes. When do the pigs start coming back out of the river to the lake?

The locals fish the river all winter but admit that it often slows down after the 1st of the year.

That said, last year was excellent in the river from ice-up to ice/out so go figure.

I'll let you know for sure when were in boats next spring.LOL

By the way, the ice stopped moving at the Dutchman at 3:47 PM on Nov. 28th. We were setting trusses on our new managers unit and watching the huge sheets come down. Finally ground to a stop with a few open patches but appears to be solid this morning.

Gotta get things closed in so we can go bore some holes in a few days!

Think calm & cold!

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.