• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2007 Gun Hunt

DeanoB

the 3B season.

Opening day, saw 1 buck, @ 8:00 looked like it had half arack, passed with no clear shot.

Day 2 - not much action, saw the half rack again, came by the ground blind pretty sketchy, decided not to shot, hold out for one of the bigger bucks I saw earlier in the fall.

Days 3,4 - mangaged to get out during lunch time and walk some of the WMA land around Rochester, saw 1 flagging tail through thick brush, and only 1 other hunter!

Day 5 left work early, only to find the private property had been baited with molasses,and "deer cane," found the empty jugs, (along with crushed beer cans) and the same guy i had run ins with earlier in the year. When confronted all he would say, is "you don't own it" "hunt where I want, park where I want, do what I want." called sheriff, said nothing they can do, not trespassing, call DNR on baiting. DNR, "nothing we can do, unless we catch them in the act no way to prove when bait was placed." Really disappointed, only recourse now was to take matters into my own hands. a little clorex goes along away! shocked.gif

Thanksgiving - around 7:00 2 dogs come running through, figured hunt was blown 7:20ish 4 shots fired close to ground blind to the north. Didn't know anyone was over there? Couple minutes later 2 deer running around in the alfafa field to the east. about 200 yards. They are running back and forth, really undecided where they are going, look through scope it's the half rack! he is chasing trying to breed this small doe! as she is trying to find safety. remind myself I said I was shooting this buck if seen again. They run towards me to about 130 yards and stop, buck turns broadside, i shoot, he hunches up a little and runs about 5 yards to the north/west & slows down, unsure where to go, I shoot again, I see the hair fly off the opposite side of the deer, and a poof of dirt cloud. he takes a few steps to the north, i know he is hit good, and can't believe the Hornady SST just blew through this good sized deer at 130 yards with no drop in trajectory! the other deer is a small doe, i fire once at her, but she is ona dead run & just getting to the tree line, only time for one shot, I missed, as later i found no blood from her in the field or where she entered the woods. I look back towards where the buck was and all i see is brown going down into green field, and a white flag twitching above the alfafa! He's down! Wait about 5 minutes, and go out looking for him. You know it is pretty tough to find a deer in an alfafa field! Anyway found him, double lunged, hit twice he didn't go 10 yards. Turns out he is the 4x4 i saw early October, except he is all broken up from fighting, so he is a 5 pointer now. He is either a 3.5 or 4.5 year old agressive buck. It was a good hunt, I called my son and told him I had a buck down he was excited, and told his brothers. I then called my neighbor, who drove out to the field, and kindly helped me load the deer into his truck, and drove to registration station, and then delivered to my garage.

Days 6-8 hunted off and on trying to fill a doe tag, hardly any deer seen, saw more beer cans, and bait at the property, found a trail cam over a salt block, and some unknown liquid that had been poured all over the ground. Really disgusted, pulled my portable stands, took my ground blind, tore off the steps to the permenant stands, and took a big duker right on the main deer trail leading to his portable stand, and crushed out a few cig butts here and there, and a little clorex goes along way. grin.gif

Deer is butchered, meat is at locker except backstraps, and loins. Now i just wait my 6-8 weeks for meat, and get the skull up a tree to get it tissue free. will post pics later.

Quote:

the other deer is a small doe, i fire once at her, but she is ona dead run & just getting to the tree line, only time for one shot, I missed, as later i found no blood from her in the field or where she entered the woods.

Congrats on your buck - it sounds like it was a good hunt for you, so I probably should not even comment on this, but... If the description of the shot on the doe is accurate, I hope you realized afterwards that its not a very good shot to take, especially at that distance.

Sorry to hear about the slob hunter. Its too bad they couldn't get him on at least a littering charge. Many times, the CO will come out and investigate the person.. half the time, they'll inadvertantly confess to something and end up getting cited. Sucks being in the woods with people like that, but the type of retaliation you describe makes you dumber than they are (pouring bleach on the ground? (Contact Us Please)?).

First off yes i did throw a few ozs of bleach on the entrance main trails into the woods, is that illegal to unbait deer? confused.gif and since i have obtained some human hair form a stylist i know and strategically placed that to keep them away. smirk.gif I know deer would not lick bleach or try to eat it, and i didn't pour directly on the illegal bait that was placed on this property.

In retrospect it was probally not the right thing to do, pouring bleach around, but i was pretty fired up over these numerous encounters with this guy. mad.gif I work hard all fall getting a a plan, and scouting, and this guy comes in drinking beers and littering, illegal baiting, and numerous other violations, even if he has permission, no one proablly will be able to hunt here next year. frown.gif I put in a ton of time, and until this guy i had 4 different bucks patterned in pre-rut. I was upset in my defense. Lucky I am not a thief, or I could have just stole the trail cam, and his stand. blush.gif

About the shot on the doe, she was running quartering away first at an angle, and as she was nearing the woods, and closer to me, was broadside, maybe a slight quartering away shot, other than a moving target I don't think the shot was risky, and at the time I shot at the doe i would say she was within 85 yards or so. Not that far with modern sabots and rifled scoped firearms. smile.gif

Again thanks for your input, have a nice day cool.gif

(Note from admin,please read forum policy before posting again. Thank-you.)