• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Size of HS players

Scott M

I think some folks push their kids too far. I know I guy that has a son that's a killer pitcher. But he goes from one league to the next and plays year around. His arm will be thrown out before he hit's collage. Let them be kids for the craps sake.

Have you looked at the development of kids in general? Young girls are sometimes hard to know if they are 12 or 21. I think people should think about all of the growth hormones that is added to all of the foods that animals eat. Then the animals are consumed by the American public. Kids in general are bigger and more developed at a younger age than ever before. The additives and other stuff put into food has got to play a part in it as well!

I am 13 years old and weigh 225, and stand 6' but that means nothing into your cardiovascular level, I can run better than many kids half my weight. Football and basketball are my sports, i can do my best at both with my physical capacity, so my point is, if it helps do it, but i should lose a couple pounds, and gain some more muscle.

you have to look back 10-20 years, and really see the side that they were one. The only big people that were on the field were the students that were on teh farms. There are people now days that spend 2-3 hrs in the gym, 6-7 days a week. Your always going to have the people that never do much, but more then that, people want to be in shape. There going to lift becuase everyone else is, and if your a person that is not lifting, then your not going to look like the others, and feel left out.

Times have changed, everwhere you looking, people all the time are working out and getting FASTER and STRONGER.

Not only are kids heavier but they are also taller. A person can lift weights all they want and it won't make them taller. It's not just high school football players either. As someone pointed out girls are also more developed and I agree the hormones in food have had an effect on kids.

I can say this, being on the field every week reffing high school kids all over SW MN and NW Iowa, kids are generally MUCH bigger than they were 5-10 years ago. Its a question I think of how hard do you push that and when is enough enough? I have to take my step son to school at 6:40 twice (now going to three times) a week to lift weights before school. I don't know that that's too good for him as he's always dog tired from getting up that early, but on the other side I can clearly see the advantage that a strong off season weight program produces in kids.

I just think we have to avoid going too far on this. I don't know where the cutoff is, but I sure wouldn't want to get hit by some of these high school players today...

As a coach, I admit kids are bigger now. But, mankind has been getting bigger and bigger all the time. The last few years it seems to be more noticable.

I coach girls volleyball and see many girls that are 6 feet tall or better. Never or rarely used to see that.

Also, kids develop and play only one sport (for the most part) now. Their skills are better as they play one sport year-round.

And, the coaches are better grin.gifgrin.gif

It all has to do with trying to get to the next level. A college is going to offer the scholarship to the bigger guy if the talent is the same. Take a look around a GNC store and there are thousands of products to make the most out of someones workout, then look into most high school weight rooms or any college one, and you will find lifting records for football players. Everyone wants their name on that list long after they're done playing so, hard work+gnc=bigger stronger guys. Supplements in the past few years are in more magazine ads with more pro athletes being the focus of the ad. The height thing though, who knows, evolution??