• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dtro and Harvey Lee = big eyes

Thought I would throw a teaser out there , but it sounds like a couple of HOGS where boated today. Details coming soon!

Thats correct Brian. We fished for a few hours today and had a great eye day for a few big ones and numerous smaller ones. The smaller ones were from 5-7.5#'s. We also lost a pig or two.

Somebody pinch me....did that just happen?

Tom was nice enough to offer me some extra venison he had, so I thought it would be a perfect time to get out and try for a few eyes, especially with the nice weather we had.

It started out a bit windy and we were having a hard time keeping our line vertical which, in my opinion, is crucial this time of the year.

We moved upstream to get out of the wind, with intentions of coming back, if or when the wind subsided. It did, and I'm glad we returned. Within 10 minutes I hooked into a fish that made me say, "um yeah, we're going to need the net."

Turns out that was the catch phrase of the night. grin.gif

My net was a bit undersized, but Tom did a great job getting the big girl in head first. We did our high fives and took measurements.

15 minutes later, a replay of above just reversed positions of the fisherman.

In the next hour Tom caught 2 more and I lost one that was just as big or bigger than the first.

Honestly, the best night of big walleye fishing I've ever seen. I've heard of days like this but never experienced it.

4 fish with a total weight of 32.5lbs. That's over 8lbs average!!! These fish were unbelievably fat. Way above average and I just cringe, thinking about the fish that I lost frown.gif

After dark, we boated a couple eaters as well.

All fish were caught on a sharp break adjacent to a deep hole. Bait of choice was a jig/fathead that was bounced rather aggressively (lift and drop approx 24"). The fish were taking the bait on the drop.

28x18.5" and 10.5lbs

019.jpg

28.5x17.5" and 9.5lbs

020.jpg

25" and 7.5 lbs

026.jpg

22" and 5lbs

025.jpg

Yes, it was a great few hours of fishing. One could not ask for better fishing or company. How does one ever beat these fish for a few hours?

Thanks for a wonderful late afternoon in the boat Darren.

Uff da!! That's some nice fish cool.gif And to think I missed hooking up with you 2 by about 30 minutes, but me and Jim where just plain fished out for the day. Maybe I won't put the RP away just yet wink.gif

If you have a day off this week brian, letS go. I told darren today that I might just pull the boat back out of storage for another week of fishing open water.

I do believe that this could happen again as those walters are feeding heavy.

Quote:

I'll repeat what Papa Grump said... "Uff Da!"

I'll repeat what I said in the boat....."Hanson's going to HATE me" grin.gif

I honestly wish ALL my fishin buds could've been there during that magic hour. I guess I need a bigger boat. smirk.gif

Won't get much better than that!...unless you got that really big one grin.gif

I wasted most of what will probably be the last beautiful day of the year upgrading my puter confused.gif

Quote:

I'll repeat what I said in the boat....."Hanson's going to HATE me"
grin.gif

LOL! Maybe a little bit. grin.gif

Wow. Those fish are what fall fishing is all about. I'm not a fall fisherman, but someday I'll join the ranks smile.gif

Nice job, fellas! Great pics!

I have a question for you guys? I fish the river quite a bit and have been whackin the eaters this year, but no bigs. I know the river pretty good, but how deep are you getting those big queens, I have caught a few nice ones and usually they are shallower, say under 10-12 ft.? The only time I am able to land bigger fish on the riv is during the winter.

Quote:

I have a question for you guys? I fish the river quite a bit and have been whackin the eaters this year, but no bigs. I know the river pretty good, but how deep are you getting those big queens, I have caught a few nice ones and usually they are shallower, say under 10-12 ft.? The only time I am able to land bigger fish on the riv is during the winter.

The areas we are fishing are sharp breaks with a hard bottom. When I say sharp break, I'm talking 4ft to 25 ft within 20-25ft.

The hole bottoms out at approx 25ft. We caught them on the slope of the break about midway up.

Here's another thing to remember. There is a very short window where these fish go on a frenzy. We caught these every 10-15 minutes for an hour, nothing before, and nothing (except two small ones) after.

We probably could've spent all day there and caught the same amount of fish.

With my experience and many others I've talked to and fished with, they feel the same way.

Get out a few hours before dark, and you've maximized your time.wink.gif

Hey thanks for the info. I have mainly been fishing mornings till about 11 or so.

I also sent you and e-mail. wink.gif

any other tips?? I have tried tossing creek chubs, shiners and fat heads in to a hole that I know or two but never end up with much. Is there any way to get at these spots you talk of from shore? I have also tried lindy rigging with minimal success.

Awesome fish guys. I like the photoshop work on the background in the Dtro pic. Must've been something in the background that would give the spot away blush.gif I had real good luck there last winter but never had a day like you guys did.

Quote:

any other tips?? I have tried tossing creek chubs, shiners and fat heads in to a hole that I know or two but never end up with much. Is there any way to get at these spots you talk of from shore? I have also tried lindy rigging with minimal success.

There are plenty of shore spots you can catch fish from, but the problem is the angle of your line, these areas are usually pretty snaggy, and you'll get hung up A LOT trying to pitch a jig. Straight up and down is much better.

Congrats on the fish and man I got to get in to this minnesota river fishing. You guys are always gettin into some very big eyes and cats.

Nice fish guys. I happened to make it out myself from about 3:15 to 4:45 on the 25th. Fished a current seam next to a deep hole and caught two nice sauger (18" and 21") and one 'eye. I haven't posted pictures before, so I am not sure this will work.

[image]http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd179/norse1 [/image]

Norse, in your album, next to your picture there are a few links. One of them should be called "IMG code". Copy and paste that directly into your post. The link you copy should end in JPG.

I copied this from your picture and added the word test so it wouldn't work:

[testIMG] Minnesota11-25.jpg

remove the word test.......and prestogrin.gif

Minnesota11-25.jpg

Nice Fish!