• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice Report

JBMasterAngler

I checked Sag on Wednesday this week. There were some scattered pockets of open water (towards the beach and off the point the trail runs out on for sure. I didn't have a chisel to check thickness of the ice that was there.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrklean

• Borch

• Tippman

• JBMasterAngler

Regarding Sag at SJU, I don't know if anyone else has seen this, but last year I saw campus security ask guys to leave for using power augers. I would have thought it was a fluke except I saw them do it on 2 seperate occasions. I always use a hand auger when I go out there and haven't had any trouble.

I was checked by the DNR once out there last year as well.

Hmmm...I can't say I ever had a problem, but the lake is a no-motor lake, so I suppose that could apply to hardwater as well.

I've heard that there are crappies in that lake, but I've never caught them. Is the rumor true, or is the lake devoid of the critters?

Carl

I have caught many crappies in there in the spring but only in a couple located spots. My biggest is a 13 incher so I guess you just need to know where to look.

i actually work for life safety on campus this year, and power augers arent allowed on campus. They usually just ask people not to use them, but i know that they have confiscated them in the past too. The fishing club is trying to get this changed. nobody likes drilling through 18 inces of ice with a hand auger!

in theory the monks dont allow it because they want their serenity, as sag is right on the monastary. I really am not a big fan of the policy, and really dont see any solid reasoning behind it.

Quote:

i actually work for life safety on campus this year, and power augers arent allowed on campus. They usually just ask people not to use them, but i know that they have confiscated them in the past too. The fishing club is trying to get this changed. nobody likes drilling through 18 inces of ice with a hand auger!

What is the verdict on an electric auger?

I don't think they will ever allow gas augers on campus. A few fishermen aren't lkely to sway the monastic community unless a lot has changed since I went to school there. The quiet out there is what makes the fishing enjoyable. The size or quantity of the fish to be caught in winter is not the draw for me.

I agree, and I like the policy of not allowing gas augers. The fact that people don't like to hand drill the holes keeps the fishing pressure low, the air and ice clean, and the noise level down. Hand drilling the holes, and walking halfway across the lake is part of the exprience for me.

Quote:

Horseshoe has enough ice if you're carefull and know the lake. The cats are hungry.

Cats?? What about the walleyes! wink.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Horseshoe has enough ice if you're carefull and know the lake. The cats are hungry.

Cats?? What about the walleyes! wink.gif

Yep, they were biting also though they were not targeted.

Upper Spunk has a solid 6" in the bays, very little ice on the main lake. Lots of anglers on Lower Spunk but i havent heard any reports.

I like the idea of catching cats through the ice...is it pretty much the same approach as walleye fishing? They go after frozen cisco on the bottom? Never been to the chain before...what would be the best starting point?

Quote:

I like the idea of catching cats through the ice...is it pretty much the same approach as walleye fishing? They go after frozen cisco on the bottom? Never been to the chain before...what would be the best starting point?

Hey JB, catfishing on the chain can be a lot of fun. Set up like you are walleye fishing and you'll catch em'. My favorite lure is a buckshot jig with a minnow head, always seems to do well out there. For your second rod, deadstick it with a live minnow.

If you really get into an active bite, you'll be busy enough with just one rod.

Unless you know the lake/river portion where the cats are, I'd wait until the ice got a little thicker. I'd call out to the bait store in Richmond to get a decent report before you venture to far from shore out there or wait to hear from IceHawk on an updated report.

Captain BRK, thanks for the info. Yeah, it'll be about a month or so before I go there, so hopefully conditions will be much better by then.

Quote:

With all of the snow on the ice is there any ice being made?

OF COURSE!

I don't care if ice radiate heat itself, when the temperature is hovering around 0 at night, ice is being made. frown.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Quote:

Quote:

With all of the snow on the ice is there any ice being made?

OF COURSE!

I don't care if ice radiate heat itself, when the temperature is hovering around 0 at night, ice is being made. frown.gif

Well it's gotta freeze the 2-4 inches of slush between snow and ice before it canmake good ice. It's gonna take a while. We've had this happen before in fact I had one winter that I never drove a vehicle on the ice in the St Cloud area due to simuliar conditions and cruddy ice.

Once the slush is frozen solid then we can get back to making ice.

Borch, Icehawk: What's the general thickness of ice in the area? I'm guessingit is in the 6-8" range, True?

Also who drives the Black Chevy w/ the Large FM decal on the drivers door? Saw it on saturday. Just curious.

You've been up obviously? Went up to pick up all my gear but my house. Have to get it all straightened out. Haven't used it for almost 2 yrs. Just hope I can make it out this year.

Quote:

Also who drives the Black Chevy w/ the Large FM decal on the drivers door? Saw it on saturday. Just curious.

Shhhhh! grin.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Quote:

Borch, Icehawk: What's the general thickness of ice in the area? I'm guessingit is in the 6-8" range, True?

I haven't ventured out yet this season. I like my ice thick and clear. I'm biding my time. I've ridden in that truck wink.gif