• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Thanks Cliff. Not quite sure exactly where I will end up. Now that you mention it, probably the BB area.

I'm very leary about Vermilion as my mom's cousin went through on Oak Narrows and drowned years back.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cliff Wagenbach

• shamrock7

• upnorth

• BEEGONE

An ATV did go through early last week on Burntside. It was over about 80FOW in the middle of Van Vac Bay. There was five or six inches of solid ice with almost no snow on it in most places on that bay, but the guy motored across a thin patch about 2 inches thick. No one was hurt and they eventually got the wheeler out.

Yesterday, there was a solid eight inches where I was exploring around the bay, still with only an inch of snow on top.

Dtro,

Sorry to hear that about your mom"s cousin! Oak Narrows and Muskrat Narrows are spots to be avoided if possible in the winter!

Beegone was out in that area that we found 2" a couple of weeks back and there is 6" there now. So the lake should be ok for snowmobile traffic. May still be some thinner spots but the majority of the lake should be ok. BUT no vehicle traffic is safe yet. Only if you drill holes over your entire route and you have to drill much more often that what we normally would do. Every 100 yards is not really enough to adequately test the ice. Now with a winter storm warning for up to 10" of snow is not really what we need. It will really set the trails for the winter but it will sure mess up the lake more. Be safe out there but have fun.

Just talked to my mom. Nice storm coming through huh?

Maybe more sledding than fishing grin.gif

I might also try a few pothole lakes near my parents that I've always done well on for large gills in the summer.

And for those that plan on riding, the lake is staked in our area so I would assume that the majority of the lake is also.

How much snow is on top of the ice on the big V now? We're planning a trip up this weekend. Can't wait.

Depends...... There is a lot of snow but there is also a fair amount of slush under that snow. The snow that is on the lake is drifted up some. For a protected area, you should find about 12-18" of snow but like I said, expect some slush hiding under that powder. You should have great riding.

we were out fishing around Fectos Point this afternoon and there is a real mess out there. There is about 12-14" of snow on the ice where there is no slush, (which isn't very often)the average is 4-6" of water and then another 4-8" of snow. The lake is not terrible but it is messy. The more people that head out there will knock down the snow and allow it to freeze down when and if it gets cold again.

Went for a little ride down along the south side of Gold Island and it was slush all the way from Fectos to the west end of Gold. There are a few spots that are froze enough to stay on top but the rest is sloppy.

I saw two wheelers out on the ice today headed for Birch Island and it appeared that they spent more time shoveling and pushing then they did fishing!

I would not reccomend them!

I have switched over to my snowmachines too.

Cliff

Cliff, what's the word over the last couple days? I may head up again Friday. Not sure yet.....Besides the one house out there, is the spot I was fishing still open?

I think Dave wants me to come up again. I think he likes the 'show up and catch fish' concept...... grin.gif

Bob,

Your spot is still open.

There seemed to be even MORE slush on the ice this afternoon! crazy.gif

We caught 7 walleyes today in my house. Released a 20" and a 21-1/2" also. Nice fish yet.

Most of the fish came on plain hook rigs/pike suckers !!

Cliff

I found the lake to be not that bad (along the stakes)like people were saying. Sure there is some frozen slush, But we were ridin 80-90mph and it was fine....in pike bay & ev. bay.

I thought the speed limit on the lake was 60 mph and 50 on the trails. Observed a sled going fast with a young boy on the back hit some frozen slush ruts and the boy flew off. Good thing he had his helmet on. Appeared to be just shook up pretty good. Be careful out there.

Things are getting better. There is still some nasty slush out there that people with older style machines and 4 wheelers are getting stuck in but for the most part, slush is freezing down. Not seeing 1/2 mile stretches of it like last week. And there are enough tracks out there that if you do get into trouble, you can jump on an old track and be on solid ice. But as SS says, there is a lot of rough slush ridges out there waiting to throw a unsuspecting rider. And that stuff is HARD. Be careful and have fun.....

Yes, there is a speed limit!

60 mph on the lake and 50 mph on trails unless otherwise posted different.

Cliff

Quote:

Yes, there is a speed limit!

60 mph on the lake and 50 mph on trails unless otherwise posted different.

Cliff

This is close but not quite. Check out page 25 of the snowmobile regs. The statewide maximum speed limit (i.e. it can be lower, but never higher) is 50 MPH anywhere -- trail or lakes with one exception.

On the marked trail crossing a lake of greater than 10,000 acres, a county may pass an ordinance allowing a daytime limit of 65 MPH. I have no idea if Vermilion is one of those lakes though.

wh1stler

Just got back from checking the ice where we put in our winter road. I had gone out and packed in the slush earlier in the week so that we could take advantage of the cold last night.

We have 8" of good black ice and 6" of slush ice. Where I packed it down, most of the slush is frozen through. But there were a few spots that had 1-2" of water between the layers yet. Will go and check again tomorrow.

If you are considering going out and driving on the ice, even if there is a plowed road, be very careful. Just off where I packed the slush, there is still the 4-6" of snow, 4-6" of water and 6-8" of ice. And if we do not get some prolonged cold, that water will just sit down there and stay water. Now if we get the upper 30 degree weather they are talking, that may help the snow to settle and freeze down better.

On another note, just got a call wondering if I had heard anything about a groomer going through the ice somewhere around the Pike River. (rumor had it that the driver got out ok)

Answer; No, I hadn't heard that yet but it may be true. Will wait and see what's up. (Or down, that was bad!!!!!)

Groomer went through the ice on East Two Rivers just outside Tower. No injuries that I have heard. No other info at this time.

Cliff, well, I obviously didn't make up there...... frown.gif Looks like I may be staring down the barrel of a $1000-$2000 repair bill on my truck. I will find out soon. Possible rear end replacement. It has gotten so loud that I did not dare drive up there. I suspect I backed in to a lake too deep sometime this summer to load my boat and got moisture in the differential, which of course affects wheel bearings, pinion gear bearings, etc....78K miles only....Merry Christmas to me!

If this gets ugly I may not be able to do our annual Rainy River run in March......Wait, what am I saying?????

laugh.gif

Bob,

That is a real bummer!

The walleye bite has been up and down all week.

Did good the other day in the house and today we only got 5 small ones.

Hope that all goes well with your "rear-end"! grin.gif

Cliff

Groomer back out of the water by 11:30 last night. Just one of those weird things that happen. 2' of ice in the area. Like they say, "Ice is never safe"

Decided it was time to get the big house off the ice and up to Lake of the Woods for the rest of the winter. Got stuck in the slush in from of the Marina so got out the auger to check one last time before I drove the truck out. Was pretty sure I had at least 14" of ice but wanted to re check first. Sure enough, I found a spot on the edge of the the slush that only had 8"......Gotta wonder when or if this ice is going to settle in for the winter. Used a bunch of rope to keep the truck on the good stuff and got the house off.

A contractor is using our landing to get to a job site on an island and was out packing and checking ice on his trail. Found a spot in Frazer Bay that had 2" of ice, 3" of water and then only 3" of black ice. Make no mistake, this is nasty stuff and if we make it through the winter with no one dying, I will be surprised.

If you are going to drive your vehicle out, MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THE ICE OFTEN. I don't know if even every 100' is enough with this ice this year. Normally when I open an ice road, I will check every 1/4 mile or so......I would have been very wet if I had done it that way this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Iam heading up to Vermilion with Boy Scouts 1-18-08 to 1-21-08

will be on west end of the Lake.

Anybody know how the ice is?

Any hints to the Lake- ( jigging, bobbers)

never been on the Lake, any info to try keep the Scouts busy would be Appreciated

Thank-You

Hey Jon, welcome!

Shamrock and Cliff have been doing a good job on keeping people up to date, I'm sure it won't be long and you'll get a report. \:\)

Dont get much chance to try the west end. I am in the central part and can get you onto a good supply of perch with a few walleye mixed in. Main thing is the action is pretty steady all day. Looks like its going ot be a bit on the chilly side. Hope you have houses. How many scouts will you have? may be able to help out with a couple of portables if needed. Always good to help out the younger ones.

I also do not fish the West end but on the East end the walleyes have been biting very good the past week.

Tip-ups baited with a small pike sucker fished in around 22' to 30' of water have been getting lots of fish.

Small 1/8oz gold spoons baited with a tail hooked crappie minnow are also getting quite a few walleyes.

Mornings are the best bite, but some days you will get fish all day long, especially on the tip-ups.

Good Fishing!

Cliff