• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trail Cameras????

bassNspear

I am thinking of buying a trail camera. Which one would you guys perfer that i get. I know there is a ton of them out there, so i want to make sure that a get the best one out there.

Thanks guys.

Do a search, there has been quite a few discussion on this in the past. I have two digital Moultries, good reliable cameras for the price. Stay away from Leaf River!! Nice when they work but mine keep going back to the shop!!

Bass,

I found if you just want to get some images (good) on what is in your back yard, the ones at Menards for $50 are good. Now if you want time, temp, pressure and wind direction, you will have to upgrade. The moultree is the best for this.

Now, I saw a $150 one at a pawn shop in Anoka for around $40. This could be another spot to try this time of year.

Good luck

I like the Leaf-rivers, I have 2 that have worked flawlessly for several years. However I wanted some more cameras and decided to try the I40 moultre. So far they work very well and the triger speed blows away the leaf-rivers. I have had them out well over a month and so far so good.

I have 2 moultries 2 stealthcams and 2 wild view. the stealthcams and moultries are pretty close in options and quality. i like the moultrie a little better just because it runs off of 6 D cells instead of 8. the both have about the same battery life. the three things i look at besides price are: FLASHRANGE, MEGAPIXEL, and BATTERIES. i dont like the wildview as much because the flash is only about 15 ft and the 6 C cells only last 3 weeks. it is a couple years old and it is the .3 megapixel one.

I have an older moultrie, and the only thing I don't like about it is the trigger speed. In my opinion, I would go with something that has a very fast trigger speed, I know for sure that I have missed shots of animals because they kept on moving through the frame and by the time the camera takes a picture, the animal is off to the side of the frame. I always have mine set to take 3 photos per event and when I get 3 pics in a row of nothing, I know that something was probably just off to the side of it. I guess I would reccomend going with something that has a nice fast trigger speed.

My brother has a Moultrie and it works great. The time and temp are great features and takes great pics. He won it at the local deer banquet and is very easy to use. There is no software to load to your computer, just plug into USB port and go. Can also view on dvd player by simply plugging it in. His is model #640. Here is a pic of his son, which he did not know was on there when he went to view it. Ha Ha I would buy one of these in the future. Al

I posted this pic on a couple of other spots in the hunting forums.

MDGC0018-1.jpg

If you go to google and do a search for Chasing Game you will get a website that is totally devoted to reviewing game cameras.....GREAT INFORMATION!

Personally, my first game cam is going to be a moultrie.

A little spendy but I have 2 cuddebacks Non Typicals, and 1 moultrie I40. I like all 3, I use my cuddebacks when close to home so I can keep an eye on them and my moultrie out at my camp, if it's gets stolen I am only out $100, which sucks but it is better than $400/cuddeback..

I got a good laugh out of that pic smile.gif

My deer hunting buddy has a Cuddeback and swears by it.

Of course you could pic up several other good models for the price of one of them! Nobody ever seems to knock the quality of a Cudde. I don't care much for the commercial though!

A guy at work has a digital WildView from Menards that cost him $39 after rebate last year ($69 regular price). He rigged it up with a gel cell and left it out for a month at the cabin on a main trail. I think he got over 100 pics. He even got a pic of a black bear cruising through. I saw many of the pics and they're grainy but not that bad especially for that price!

I've seen many pics from the Moultrees on line. I really like all the data that goes on the pic and they seem really clear. I've read of a free download to take care of whiteout pics also. I wouldn't hesitate getting one of them.

There have been a lot of posts on many sites like this one if you search you can find tons of opinions.

Good Luck,

Ferny.

I have a Moultrie GameSpy 200 that I can proudly vouch for, I bought it from an eBay seller named

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Bob's Gun and Tackle, it included the rechargeable battery and a charger. So far I love it, I've owned it for almost a year and I think I paid less than $200 for it on eBay (cheaper than what stores sell it for.)

The only "bad" thing about it is that the shutter speed + sensor timing can be slow sometimes. Like if something runs in front of it very fast, sometimes it won't immediately go off and instead you'll see a plain old picture without anything moving in it, or a blur from a moving animal/person. But that doesn't bother me much, I'd say 85-90% of the photos have something on them, and in good detail. I'd definitely recommend a Moultrie GameSpy 200, haven't had any issues yet (knock on wood!)

Here are some pictures to give you a sense of the quality:

trailcam1ra6.jpg

trailcam2mv6.jpg

trailcam3ex8.jpg

Good luck, let us know what you decide on!