• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Land Purchase

DRH1175

Looking to purchase some deer hunting land in the next couple years. How much does one need? I plan on hunting about 3 or 4 people total but at this point it is only me and maybe a friend. The 3 or 4 would be my 2 future kids if they are into it. I am thinking 40-80 obvioulsy more is better though 40 is much more affordable. What do others that own land have? And I will also be building a cabin in the front for the family to enjoy sometime.

you're looking at around $1500-3000 per acre for decent land. If you want something cheaper and would be more interested in pheasant instead of deer, look to ND. I had a guy offer to sell me land for $250 an acre out there that was loaded with birds.

Spend a lot of time checking things out. 40 is minimum.

Here's some things people may not think about:

Water - any chance of even having a shallow well?

Electricity - it costs a lot to run power to a new area

Pollution - old meth lab site?

Wet or dry - could be in for a surprize if you see it dry and find it wet when you go there - learn about what type of plants and trees grow in various conditions and you'll be able to tell pretty quickly

trees - has it been logged, how long ago, does it need to be logged to rejuvenate the forest

access - what's it like. Again, check it in the spring if you can to see if it's a mud pit that will suck you in

Neighbors - how close? Meet them and find out if they are the type that will help you out and watch for things or the type that will run 4 wheelers all over your land

If you look in another state consider the costs of non-resident licenses and whether they're sold over the counter or are a lottery for what you want to hunt

taxes - some people are stunned when they find out what happens in some rural areas with non-homestead parcels with a cabin

Future plans - just a bare cabin with no water/electricity or are you thinking about building something more? How does you wife react to living 3 miles down a muddy road and how do you react to heating with propane when it's 30 below?

If you narrow it down to a particular area consider buying a subscription to the local paper for a year. You'll get a feel for what's going on, the type of people. You may even find out that the parcel just west of you is the site of a planned 5,000 animal pig operation

If you find a parcel that seems to be low in price there's probably a reason for it. Find out what it is before you buy.

I hope this helps and doesn't discourage you too much. I've run into folks who've had problems in each of the areas I've listed so I'm not just tossing out a wet towel. It's a well worn wet towel

Good luck.

Thanks, It would mostly be for hunting. The cabin would be heated and water would be wanted. Basically a cabin with a couple of bedrooms that I would build myself in the future. I would deffinitly want power at the road or close to it. I don't plan on rushing into it. Deffintily will be doing my research to make sure it is ideal. There are plenty of 40 acre parcels with only 15 acres of huntable. I want 40 nice huntable acres or 80 with a few un huntable acres that still would add up to atleast 40 nice acres. Thanks for all input. I also want to add that I am looking in Northern Pine county to southern Carlton county. I spend a lot of time in that area and it is within an hour of my house. Wouldn't mind going as far as Cloquet but I plan on using this land as much as year round as I can.

another place to try is across the border in Polk or St. Croix counties in Wisconsin. I've got a cabin in Polk county that has a little of everything, but have 200 acres. The area around us was last bought for around 2000 an acre, but that's with around 90-95% huntable acres. We've got hardwood, new forest growth, some marsh/swamp areas, a few meadows, and planty of opportunity for deer, bear, grouse, turkey, and waterfowl that only get pressured when I decide to hunt them. Sandmannd has been up t here and can attest to the quality of it.

My apologies, I am not supposed to say that on here.

I can however walk you through the experience I have had buying 2 pieces of hunting land and my experiences with each. I have learned a lot of things along the way that are pretty valuable.

Look over the area good, depending on neighboring properties you may not need much. I have 20 acres between Duquette and Nickerson. It borders 200 acres of county land, that was clear cut ~5 years ago with mostly new growth aspen on it now, and a couple large tracts of private land. I built a "Deer Shack" on it. No water or electric, 4WD or ATV access only, but it is remote and good hunting (we could fill out every year if we choose and have taken 3 nice bucks off of it in the last 7 years) - seems every year someone in the area gets a real nice one. I also have control over another 20acres so I have 240 acres to hunt, and the others in the area are very nice about giving access and we usually touch base with each other at some point over deer season to comapre notes. So my point is that I have a great base camp and lots of area to hunt w/o having to own all the land and never having to look over my shoulder of feeling crowded. The land is typical for that area, hardwood ridges running through low land with plenty of bever ponds. Deer/Grouse/Bear/Waterfowl.

Post your email address and I will reply with more details if you are interested. There is a peice that is currently for sale right next to me, but for sale by owner so it is unadvertised.

Sounds like you already hunt the area, so I am sure you know that Nemadji is right there also. I would not recommend it for rifle deer hunting, but it is good for grouse and other recreation. Also Oak Lake is in the area for fishing, as well as a few other lakes not far away.

So for the price of 20 acres and a "Deer Shack" I ended up with a decent all around hunting and recreation area that I really enjoy.

Quote:

another place to try is across the border in Polk or St. Croix counties in Wisconsin. I've got a cabin in Polk county that has a little of everything, but have 200 acres. The area around us was last bought for around 2000 an acre, but that's with around 90-95% huntable acres. We've got hardwood, new forest growth, some marsh/swamp areas, a few meadows, and planty of opportunity for deer, bear, grouse, turkey, and waterfowl that only get pressured when I decide to hunt them. Sandmannd has been up t here and can attest to the quality of it.

Yep, nice land too. Lots of deer up there. Only problem is this punk shoots ducks on the otherside of the swamp and then doesn't take his gun with to get it. Then geese are flying low overhead and he expects my beginner ash to get them.

my email is [email protected]. My inlaws have a camper on Oak Lake at the big camp ground so I go through Duquette all the time. I am very familiar with the area. Part of the reason I really want to buy in that area. How much does that land owner want for that piece? Fill me in. My wife said it is okay. But wants to after we have kids. Grr... I want to buy it sooner than later so I can have many years to enjoy.

Where is the best place to find the best deals on land. MLS with a realtor, local papers? Where should I be looking?

It will be easier to buy land now, before the kids take up so much of your disposable income. Plus, land prices are rising far faster than wages, so the longer you wait the larger percentage of your income you'll have to shell out for land.

Yep, the wife said lets have our kids first and then we will look at it. I have a hard time believing we will have more money after the kids than before?? I am having a hard time convincing her it is an investment. She looks at it more like a boat purchase. We are putting around $1300 month into our retirement and though that is good I am trying to coinvince her that we should put like $400 of that into some land as an investment. So we can enjoy it now too.

FWIW, we got a lot on a lake about 6-7 years ago. It has a cabin, but basically a bunkhouse with outhouse wink.gif It has been the best thing we ever did. We have so much fun, and the kids (grown) and Grandkids enjoy the heck out of it too. Granted it is on a lake, but it is pretty small (100x300) compared to 40-80 acres. I would love some small acreage for hunting.

But my main point is that when we got it I laughed at myself for spending that much money on a football field piece of land. But now I laugh when I think about what a good decision it was! It is like a used car payment for us, or I guess maybe like anew car payment... but still not much for somebody who's truck is old but paid off wink.gif

If you can, get it now and start paying it off, and enjoying it. As was said, if you don't do it before the kids, you won't do it until after kids are grown. Good luck with it, do it if you can! You can always sell it if you have to!

Quote:

Yep, nice land too. Lots of deer up there. Only problem is this punk shoots ducks on the otherside of the swamp and then doesn't take his gun with to get it. Then geese are flying low overhead and he expects my beginner ash to get them.

well, if you could shoot........ The geese were only about 15 feet directly overhead!!!

LEP7MM:

wondering if you know if that land in ND is still available? I don't know if how well you know that guy, but I'd be interested in talking to him. If you want, you can email me at [email protected]

thanks

walleye vision,

sorry, but we didn't exchange names. I can only tell you that he lived on the east edge of a town called Venturia. It's one of those "Don't-Blink-Or-You'll-Miss-It" towns. It was also 4 years ago.

I will be heading out that way again this weekend for some Pheasant Hunting so if I get the cahnce, I will see if I can pick up some info from a local realtor.

Sure. These are my random thoughts....

If you are going in on land with someone else, no matter who it is, have a plan for if one person wants out and the other(s) dont want to.

Similarly, what if one person up and croaks? We don't like to think about it, but do you wanna share your land with some guy your best friend's wife remarries if the best friend should die?

Get title insurance. A title opinion is pretty worthless if something goes bad.

Get aerial photos of the land you intend to buy AND the surrounding land. Study them for how deer would move.

Meet the neighbors. It is a lot of money to spend to find out you have an arse who will be a pain in the neck for years to come. Even if they are nice people, how do they hunt? Do they drive all day? Do they stand all day? Are they dedicated trophy hunters or brown is down? How many people do they have hunt their land? 17 guys on the adjoining 40 acres is a mite different than 2 guys on 120. Do they bait? Kinda hard to acquire this knowledge, but it sure would be nice to know.

Ahhh, the investment thinking. If you are trying to convince your wife, use it. But dont be fooled yourself. If you like the land, you will not sell it. My situation is a little different. After we bought the first parcel, a dream parcel opened up and we bought that too. No need for the first one anymore.

Strictly deer hunting land is worth less than deer and ducks which is less than deer and ducks and grouse which is less than ...get the point? Even if you don't hunt ducks now, keep this in mind as your son/daughter or new girlfriend or mistress may wanna hunt ducks 7 years from now.

Is there anything else to do with the land? A lake nearby? Blueberries to pick? Is there any attraction for your spouse who may not feel as passionate about purely hunting as you do? If there is, believe me, this land is worth a lot more to you.

Can you get a feel for if you will have a problem with trespassers or poachers? Oh how it burns to have someone poach off your land.

How about taxes? Funny how it works, but mine seem to keep going up and up. At first, taxes were a nuisance at best. Now they are a real financial hurdle. For all that November has going for it as a month, I don't like the fact I gotta pay taxes about deer hunting time. Can you find out if taxes are gonna go through the roof?

Developments....is some fancy pants developer gonna develop right next to you?

Easements. We had a 40 foot swath of willows mowed down to nothing right across our swamp by the gas utility. No big deal to us, but we sure weren't expecting it. Are there any easements that will have an impact later on?

Roads. Oh, this is a good one. What is the status of the road that serves this property? Is it a township road? Is it a private road? Is there an easement for someone else to travel over your road? You can spend a lot of time stuck and a lot of money if your road situation is not good.

A management plan. As soon as you own land, you will suddenly acquire more friends. Who can come? What can they shoot? What are the rules?

Paying for the land. Remember there are many ways to skin a cat. can you buy it on a CD? What are the terms? Can you structure a ballon payment in somewhere to help you or the seller?

Talk to your tax advisor, can you write off part of the land or part of your expenses or anything at all? Can you write off part of your new lawnmower cause you need to mow thistles at the land? Which brings me to...

Thistles suck. You gotta take them out or the county will do it and charge you for it.

That is what I have off the top of my head. Hope it helps.

There are some realters that specialize in hunting properties. Check out Timber Ghost Realty in the NE metro.

CodyDawg,

Great points. The one about how to break up the ownership if there's a change is a great one and probably seldom if ever thought about. Some friends were about to spend nearly a half mil on a cabin with a relative until I brought this one up. They couldn't come up with a plan and so nothing's happening.

Tom