• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

trolling muskies minnetonka

Just curious if any of you troll for muskies on Minnetonka in the fall. If so, do spend more time trolling outside weed lines, or open water?

I almost always troll. Although tonka is one of the harder lakes to troll do to all the darn milfoil and sudden depth changes. I like to troll inside some of the shallower less weed infested bays this time of year with shallow raiders or big perch baits. Outside of bay St.Louis can be productive although Id run a bit deeper baits there. The shoreline and weedlines around Old channel bay could be a good spot for trolling aswell. Casting around in Smithtown bay has also been pretty decent over the years and has produced Muskies as well as nice pike. You probably know aswell as I do that trollin tonka can produce lots of norts regardless of bait size so at least there some action. Also rattlin raps of medium sizes seem to produce some muskies over deeper water even though they dont dive as deep as liped baits. Good luck to you know matter were you go man. Tonka just doesent seem to be what it use to be 4 or 5 years ago but there still in there and Oct 1 threw ice up is defenitally the time to fish Minnetonka.

It is prime musky trolling time. Troll outside weedlines especially midwater structure and long points with spinner baits, Jakes, Believers and Suicks (work the Suick as if you had casted it while trolling). You can get some muskies away from structure but only a few boat lengths as the fish are still relating to the structure just holding away from it. Open basin trolling will not typically produce as Tonka does not have bait fish like ciscoes that roam open water.