• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wondering what you guys use on your tip ups. I use a braided dacron with 4' leader of flouro. I love the braided dacron for its limpness, but it absorbs water and will freeze up on bitter cold days. thanks,

Dave

I use the coated dacron line for all my tip ups. No frozen tip up line. I then tie a small barrel swivel on and tie whatever mono, floro line Im going to use to it. Usually about 3-5' depending on water clarity and type fish Im after.

There are times I use straight mono but not often. Usually when after shallow eyes or fishing for crappie with tip ups. Like I said not too often.

I also use the round insulated tip ups or put a foam hole cover over the holes. Less light and keeps holes open longer.

thats pretty much what i use, but i will use pieces of very fine knap carpet in the color black to cover the hole when it is snowing or very cold. it seems to help. the only thing i dont like is not being able to see my small bobber when i get to the hole without disturbing the tip up.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I've used the Beaver Damm tip-ups for years and have been using Fish Brothers Tip-ups the last few years.

tipup-index.jpg

I like the visual of the Fish Brothers, no more tip ups getting run over by snowmobiles. They come in a two pack and the bases snap together for a tangle free carrying case. I really like those tip-ups.

With either style tip-up I like spooling with 12 lb mono. Freezing to the spool isn't an issue and Eyes aren't shy about committing themselves with the 12 lb mono.

Seems like I've gathered a bunch of different tip-ups over the last bunch of years. grin.gif

I use the simple Polar tip-ups for most situations. I also like the round insulated Frabill units, by my auger is a 10-inch auger and the round ones aren't quite big enough to suit me there.

How I have them spooled depends on the fish. I've got some spooled with 50 lb fireline for pike, and I tie the line directly to my wire quick-strike rigs. I have one rigged for lakers that's spooled with 20lb mono and I add 10 feet of 14 lb fluorocarbon connected with a ball-bearing swivel. I've got another one rigged for 'eyes with 10 or 12 lb mono. I'd have two rigged for 'eyes, but I usually only fish them in early ice season before laker season opens and when I have an 'eye tip-up out, I'm always jigging inside my shelter for my second line. If the fish are very spooky and I want to fish two tip-ups, it's a simple matter to rig any other tip-up I have along with a temp 10-lb mono leader.

When using the Polars, I also add a close-cell foam hole cover you can make yourself out of that type of foam or buy for $5. Makes a really big difference. When I'm fishing next to guys who don't use them and don't use a style of tip-up that covers the hole, I watch them chipping ice out of their holes all day long when mine are clear.

no more getting run over by snowmobiles? you must have sledders around that are nicer than some of the guys i have run into. i think they purposely do it some times. had a bag of vomit and his sled turn into my buddy's tip up on mille lacs one year on purpose. tried to wave the guy away as he approached and he made a special turn once he saw the flag to run it over. they know there is no way they we catch them and think they are funny. i only hope they do it to the wrong guy and their sled instantly breaks down some time and find out how funny it really is.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Depending on light conditions, tip-ups are hard to see till its too late. I haven't had one run over intensionally around here. Sledders tend to give anglers plenty of room but when you can have that tip-up 200', away it happens. Usually its someone you know that runs them over when they're coming by to chat.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.