• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

ivegottabite, I have to work till 5:00 so during the week wouldn't work for me, but if you want to head out this weekend I'll be free than. Let me know.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dahitman44

• fisherdog19

• DEADhead

• Code-Man

Good point FDog

I will say one more thing especially with people not getting out recently that if you get on a hot bite remember selective harvest, we want this resource to stick around.

A. Shae

How fast can the lakes make ice when temps are like this. seems to be ideal conditions. hope we dont get snow for awhile. The Pig wants to know

welcome to FM/HSO BigPig. I think a good rule of thumb for ice formation is to consider air temps, wind speed, snow cover, and UV (sun) penetration. If the wind can die down and the snow hold off, you could probably get up to an inch a day with average temps in the single digits. Snow insulates, so it will slow down ice formation. Even with ice on the lake, wind will slow down ice production, as it can flex the ice. If the weather holds in this pattern, I would feel pretty confident that the smaller lakes will be ready to fish by the end of the week. Remember to be safe out there and bring ice picks, a PFD, rope, etc., and that no ice is safe ice.

Pig --

Welcome glad to see some new names.

Dead is right there are a lot of factors involved.

For example -- we had nearly 36 hours of below zero to close to below zero temps. That is going to make some BIG ice on some lakes. If the lake was frozen prior top the extreme cold, some lake could have as much as 3 inches of new ice in that 35-hour period. Each lake is different, but that is a good guide.

With super cold nights on the way for the next 5 days at least -- we will have fishable ice on MANY to MOST area lakes.

Big C and Pelican -- should be close .. but remember to be careful.

Great.

Talked to my bro-in-law and he said little pine in Perham just froze over last night -- last lake to go in that area.

Very small bear lake (Perham) had only four inches.

IveGOttaBite--I can go to anytime after 12. and this weekend i would like to make it out so if any of you guys go out and want an extra body give me a shout. [email protected]

Heading down to Lizzie i think this weekend. Lizzie was not froze over Sunday when i picked up ice house, but small lakes on Highway 34 where. might give one a try. I will be the 6'3" guy wearing the water wings. smile.gif

I don't care how cold it's been, with the wind blowing like it has the las 48 hours NO ice is safe....by the look of most the lakes they have ice rolled and refroze and that means the ice was no where near 4-5" and will take at least another week to be safe if the wind holds out.....BE SAFE!!!

went to DL today and saw some (Contact Us Please) out on H-O-L by the point on east side. Had a four wheeler out next to the fishhouse too. must be NUTS shocked.gif Way too early i would think!!

I called friend who lives on Lizzie< say he was told about 5" and expects to see portables out this weekend.

I saw two people walking way out in the middle of height of land last sunday and with these temps there certainly could be enough on that perticular lake for a four wheeler. Of course it is a very shallow lake and most likely that is not the case for most lakes in the area.

Greetings all- another new guy here smile.gifI took a ride to Swede Grove yesterday after lunch and there was a solid 5" of Clear, hard ice. There were sled and boot tracks heading from the landing toward the NW. I walked out about 50 yards and the ice seemed to be constant the whole way. Anyone heading out that way this afternoon? I want to sneak out of work and wet a line.

I drive a green Chevy Colorado with a deer mural graphic in the rear window. It would be great to meet some of you guys, swing by if you see me out!

Pelican went from completely open to completely frozen overnight from Monday night - Tuesday morning. Big C however, as of this morning still had some open water out in the middle of the basin. The north end by the buckhorn and by the culvert on Hwy 6 just froze last night.

Drove to Park Rapids today. One perm house on the east point of HOL. 2 houses on the Straight lake/river deal in Osage. Coming back 3 houses on Straight lake/river and 4 houses and 4 wheelers yes 4 wheelers out on HOL. No clue ice will try a small lake tomorrow and hopefully catch something otherwise I think the whisky bottle might be checked for holes in it

Went to Swede this afternoon. Ice was 6" everywhere I drilled. Got there at 3pm and stayed until 5:20, caught 2 small perch and a bullhead. Didn't mark a whole lot but didn't travel all over either. I started off the small point on the north shore in 10 FOW and zigzagged a few 100 yards to the west in 10-14 FOW. One other person showed up at 4:00 and was there when I left. He was in a little shallower on the north shore. Good luck and tight lines!

I was out today on Eagle, a SOLID 5-6 inches of ice. Two permanents out on Little D already with reports of up to 8 inches. HOL is usually one of the first lakes to freeze over and see vehicle traffic as the average depth is probably 6 fow. I've got the whole weekend to fish since the wife and kids are out of town. HOL tomorrow, anyone want to get out on Sunday, I'd like to try a new lake laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

FDog,

Drop me a line [email protected] and maybe we can see about meeting up Sunday? I don't have a wheeler and am not really sure what lakes are safe for wheeler traffic anyway confused.gif