• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Deb Radosevich Burntside Bash

Thanks for the bump Powerstroke.

My snowmobile money is getting whittled away (not much to start with in the first place) so I'm hoping the lake will firm up enough for the wheeler. But if some of the readers worry about getting around, my impression is you don't really have to.

STcatfish can correct me on this, as I haven't been to a Bash yet, but the HQ is set up on some decent laker water just out from the access. The whole basin of the lake right there is worth a shot. As Steve posted a time back, it may not look as glamourous as some other spots on the surface, but it is down below. grin.gif

Thank you, everybody, for your support and effort!

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Foss

• Northlander

• Tom Linderholm

• Jim Almquist

awesome paul. i would probabyl stop by on my way up to ely when i fisrt go up. not sure how much i will be comming back to the cities before the bash

Yo Wanderer!

Don't worry about getting a snowmobile!!! We have the F-6 Firecat gunship that will get you anywhere on the lake from van vac in about 30 seconds! I am going to install a tow hitch on it later today. wink.gif

Steve, don't forget about my prize. You can pick it up whenever!

Justin

since i am going to college i wont have a wheeler or a snowmobile, but i have a fish trap yukon ice house with the tow package deal on it and was wondering if any body with a sled or wheeler would want to show me the ropes to laker fishing and we could use my house

I had been keeping my eye on this thread since it first popped up. I had been leaning very far to the not going side, but after talking to some of the guys today I think I will be going.

I was just wondering, what motels are in the area, and where will people be staying?

You also can go to the Chamber's Web site to find all the winter lodging options. The Paddle Inn is the main Bside Bash hangout, but all those rooms are already taken.

The Chamber is at www.ely.org

Definatly check out the chamber site. You get all the lodging options and info. I've stayed at most of the places that rent for under $100. They are all pretty decent. Just start making some phone calls.

Hey Fishkid,

I can probably give you a tow with my snowmobile out on the lake. I have a red F6 Firecat...just ask-you can't miss me.

Justin

I think I might be able to take DEB for the day but we will have to see how she is doing. She is looking forward to making the trip laugh.gif. But we have to do best for Deb if she can come or not. I thank you all for your support we will keep you all posted on Deb here on this site now smirk.gif. I hope she can make it she is proud to here the support here on FM. She would like to get a fish on her rod and I wish she could just see you all and your support for her we are so proud to be on this site we thank you all smirk.gif.

alright sounds good. maybe you can drag me to a honey hole lol. it will deffinatly be an adventure for me.

Quote:

alright sounds good. maybe you can drag me to a honey hole lol. it will deffinatly be an adventure for me.

Hmmmm...I don't know...trout fisherman are pretty reluctant to give up the good spots! Are you willing to be rolled up in a chunk of old carpet, hands and feet duct taped with a paper bag over your head so you dont know where you are or where you are going?? grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif Oh yeah, and all Garmin or Lowrance toys handed over?? HaHaHa... just having some fun with ya. I will bring ya out to someplace good.

Justin

Kalli, there are literally hundreds of good laker spots on Burntside. And there are a bunch within an easy tow from Bside Bash HQ.

Of course, if a person is getting towed by sled or wheeler, they better have stuff strapped down and ready for a bit of bouncing. It can be rough out there.

i live on a college budget and a gps is not in my accesories lol. i dont need any secret spots just somewhere wher i might have a good chance at catchin a laker. i got a rod set up but what kind of baits should i look at getting?

Jigging raps and Nils jigging shads, Cleos,Rattle Traps, Slender Spoons, Northland Rattle spoons, bucktail jigs and #2 hooks and a shiner or smelt on a tip up.

Greens and blues seemed best up there.

fishkid, what Northlander said. grin.gif

And if you already have some of those lures in "walleye" sizes, you don't have to buy more. The smaller lures work really well on Burntside. Most folks tip them with a small strip of cut cisco or a minnow head.

I made reservations at the super 8 motel on sheridan st.

UMD sportsman- if you want to go in on a room, we already have 4 guys, so it will be cheap. Id just plan on bringing a sleaping bag and pad.

You can call me, you shold have my number.

Quote:

Kalli, there are literally hundreds of good laker spots on Burntside. And there are a bunch within an easy tow from Bside Bash HQ.

Of course, if a person is getting towed by sled or wheeler, they better have stuff strapped down and ready for a bit of bouncing. It can be rough out there.

Only fished BS from the boat landing pier.. only caught small fish.. So i know nothing about BS altho i been reading up and i stopped in the DNR in tower to for maps, and i also bought a plastic map from the gas station too.. So i am learning.. But Catfish nothing wrong with showing another around... Its like everyone just points at the lake and saids there you go.. Whats wrong with some friendship ya know and showing the ropes maybe?

Quote:

Only fished BS from the boat landing pier.. .. So i know nothing about BS altho i been reading up

Kalli, you are completely right, and I didn't mean to imply we're just going to point to the lake and say "head out, thou trout anglers!" grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

The Bash is ALL about fellowship and fun and teaching and learning, and most years we've had a six-foot laminated map of Bside mounted with a couple dozen nice laker spots marked for people to get to. Sorry if my comments sounded a bit off to you. Didn't mean that. blush.gif

Here's a pic of the map, and of a fella with a lot of Burntside experience pointing the way to someone with less Burntside experience. Believe me when I tell you that all of us Bash vets want more than anything else to see people have a good experience.

Bash-Lonnie-points.jpg

You guys almost make me want to take up ice fishing....Naw!! It does sound like fun though grin.gif

That pic looks like you are showing him where the good spots are. wink.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif Tacklejunkie how can you sit in all winter.

I am not much of a trout fisherman, but the bash has always peaked my curiosity. I am not sure if I know Tom or not, but I think I do. My wife lived next door to Deb as a kid. Deb was a few year older than my wife, and hung out with her sister a bit.

We have been through similar deals with friends over the years and understand that you can only take these things one day at a time. We know how much it means to be able to get away form the medical care for a day or so. The bash is a long time off, but if Deb is feeling like making the trip when it comes around, I have a grand lodge I could bring up so she can be comfortable. 16 x 8 with good heat, 9 holes, tv, dvd, stove. pretty much like home.

I have a few questions to ask of the guys that have been there in the past. Is there a place to park it if I do bring it up? Can I get it out on the ice in a fish-able spot so that Deb at least has a chance of catching a fish or two?

The offer is there Tom and Deb. Just let me know. Just email me at my yahoo address at rsduluth AT yahoo (Contact Us Please) com. Be assured that I will enjoy bring it up as much as you may enjoy using it, so it isn't putting me out. I have always wanted to go to the bash anyway.

Tom

Last year there was plenty of ice on the landing. This year it has a good start already for good ice. Time will tell.

Kalli, that's not me. I'm not that tall. grin.gifgrin.gif

tc, that is one generous offer.

End of the Line (Joel) brought up his big permanent shelter for last year's Bash and pulled it out on Friday, staying over night to keep an eye on things. I don't think he'll be able to do that this year. The Van Vac public access is where we all park to get to HQ, which is only a couple hundred yards out on the ice in front of Van Vac. There is good fishing right around HQ. The 50-foot breakline along the south shore of Van Vac Bay has produced many a limit of lakers, so there's a good chance Deb could catch a fish or two from your shelter there right at HQ.

And a few of us, like S.T. and myself, will not be fishing at all, but will be there at HQ the whole day to help ferry people around and answer questions and staff the silent auction and all.

tc, assuming the ice will be in good shape (it looks VERY good right now, barring a lot of heavy snow), it's easy to pull your house out there with a pickup/SUV and drive back and park at the landing. Even if we get a lot of snow and pickup traffic is difficult, we can pull it out with a couple sleds in tandem. There are quite a few parking spots donw by the landing and up the hill a bit, where there is a second-tier parking lot. There's also room to park along ONE SIDE of part of the access road, as well as Van Vac Road.

Many of these details will be hashed out on the final Bside Bash details thread to be mounted as the Bash looms, but tc, if you need any more info from me for you to decide, just shoot me an e-mail. My e-mail is always in my sig. And thanks again for that fine offer! grin.gifgrin.gif