• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Does anybody remember???

Does anybody remember what the average dates are for 6" of ice out past Pine Island??? I'm planning to be up sometime between December 6 to the 14, and was hoping there will be enough Ice to take the Polaris Ranger out pulling my wheel house. Any input will be appreciated... confused.gifsmile.gif Kaz

Hi Dick,

If not the first weekend in Dec, the second weekend seems

like the fishers are venturing out. Adrians wont have

a road yet but you should see wheelers out by the second

weekend. That said, I have had my boat out the second

weekend in December too...

Curt do u mean u had your boat on the lake or river in Dec. How did you do? The earliest ive been icefishing was nov 16, Lake Bronson.

Hopefully i will make it out mext week, depends when i get my truck fixxed. Glad to hear NCOR is startn up. Good thing goin.

I had the boat out to the Lighthouse Gap in December. It

was not that long ago either. We pushed some ice that

day and called it a season when we finished up that day.

Ten day forcast is looking a little better, lows in the 20's for the next week or so here. It's going to have to get colder than that to make it safe by the second week in Dec. this year however. I think is was around the 10th last year when I got out for the first time in front of Adrians on the river, only had about 4" (emphasis on about!) of ice. It was the coldest day of the year I can remember being out there! It was cold with a north wind blowing down the river at about 25 m.p.h. wasn't used to that quite yet!!

Hey Curt what affect do you think the current that we have been experiencing in the river this year will have on the way it freezes up? I guess common sense would say that it would slow up the ice building process but I'm not a scientist either, just wondering what you think??

I'm no scientist either, but I can tell you and as you mentioned, the current is really zippin' through the Kenora Bay, and out the dam. Much higher than normal fall outflows. That has to affect the freeze up of areas where current really flows. River, Four Mile Bay, and more narrows up this way.

I always respect the Gaps and places where the current

might throw you a curve ball. If you notice the winter

fishers out of Morris Point are no where near the wash out.

Last year a group on snowmobiles put one thru the MP Gap

well into the ice season.

The lake will freeze up just fine. I dont know about the

river I just learned last year about how many people fish

the Rainy thru the ice

The resorts will keep every one away from these bad spots.

But! there are so many fishers from out of the area that

arent aware of the dangerous spots, and then there are the

people that seem to think you can just drive anywhere.

I guess, like every year, time will tell

I'm Going to keep checking until December 1, if it doesn't look good, I'll change my Flight to first week in January. The lake shoud have good Ice by then... Kaz cool.gif

In '02 we fished on 4" of ice in 4-Mile Bay on Thanksgiving day! Don't think that will happen this year.

There was ice down to the bridge in the Baudette Bay this afternoon and lows for the coming week in the teens may get things firmed up.

The current will absolutely affect the river freeze and we may see ice on the lake first this year.

I know we all are itching to get on ice but BE SAFE out there!

Kaz: The past three years our first trip up has been the day after Xmas. We drove out past Pine on 14" or better by then, so I would think you should have wheeler ice to Pine by mid December, but then there's mother nature. Good luck post any reports when you go. Bill

Overnight lows this week will be dropping into the low/mid teens with daytime highs staying just under freezing. So all-in-all, I would say it's looking pretty good to "start" making some ice.

I haven't been fishing for a while now, I am really looking forward to getting out on the ice for the first time this year. I guess I can take this time to get my stuff ready, gotta make sure the auger and all is in good running order.

Talk to ya'll later.

CatmanLee: I checked the forecast up there and thought life is really good with - temps. then I realized i was reading the celcius scale. Old age creeping up faster than the ice is freezing is my guess. Or maybe just wishful thinking LOL grin.gifBill

I was out off 4 mile last year on Dec 6th and it was real cold. We had wheelers and about 6inches of ice to work with but didn't venture out too far. If I recall it was very windy last year at that time and super cold so I'm hoping for the same this year