• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2000 Dodge Ram cranking longer to start

MNmikew

Question

My truck seems to be taking longer to start up. It used to start up after a couple seconds. Now its taking 5-10 seconds to start. If it sits more that 15 mins it again takes 5-10 secs. to start. Once I start it and run awhile, then stop/start it it starts in a couple secs. Is my fuel pump starting to go?

6 answers to this question

I bet the pump module assembly is at fault myself. The fuel pressure regulator is built into the pump module.

Before you start it cyle the key a couple of times. Turn the key on you should hear the pump run and then shut off after a couple of seconds. Turn the key off then repeat. Do this a couple of times and see if your crank time returns to normal. If it does than typically the pump is the problem.

I know for the Hemi's they have a flash update for this, but the 5.8l I do not know.

I would do what airjer said and it will help rule in a fuel pump.