• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2007 Trapping

tip-up king

Quote:

So the animals just sits there and suffers with a crushed leg until you go up and shoot it eh?

I used to think the same thing; then last year I did some research. As it turns out a leg hold trap does not crush a leg - it only "holds" the leg. You could release the animal and it would have no ill effects. And remember all trappers have to check their sets at least once every 24 hours.

Think of all the ducks and pheasants this fox would have eaten in a year.

Sweet pic!

Don't forget trapping is a legal way of taking animals!

I saw a trapper out this weekend while we were deer hunting. Looked like he was after beavers in a small river. Sounds like fur prices are supposed to be good again? Trappers seem like a dying breed of people.

Sounds like were are going to try and put the hurt on some fox/yotes with firearms soon. Lots of sign in the woods and my buddy saw a fox zooming through.

Ferny

[image]

I would like all that take a look at any images I post to know that in my opinion these animals have only been inconvenienced by maybe a feeling of discomfort by being held by my trap until I arrive to yes, "dispatch" the critter. Of course, I check ALL my sets according to MN law which is a 24hr check for land sets.

If you find this offensive, please don't look at it! And please don't post information that isn't factual.

Hunter4life, I would think you have knocked down some birds in your time hunting that were'nt retrieved that suffered a far worse fate than the furbearers I trap.

To the rest, thanks for looking and taking an interest. Trapping is a wonderful outdoor activity that can be done by yourself of even as a family. It helps reduce the number of game birds eaten each year and can reduce property damage by animals such as beaver,badger, and wood chucks.

[image]p1010001.jpg[/image]

Chill man.

there was no false information displayed. I simply asked a question from an unsupportive perspective. I didnt know that some traps now days dont break the legs, but since I asked the question, now I do. I also agree these critters need to be taken out because of the numbers of birds they kill. And, I didnt find it offensive...I simply quesitioned the methods. To your statement about knocking down birds and not retrieving them, I agree that everyone has probably done that a time or two. However, that really doesnt have any bearing on trapping. I dont have anything against trapping at all, but at least the attempt to kill the bird immediatly is there. If I were to trap, which I have considered, I like the idea of the holding traps. I personally think that if you are going to display live photos of trapped animals, and being its a sport that not many people participate in, dont be so defensive if someone questions the methods or the sport in general. Its yoru duty to respond in an educational way, and not make it personal like you have done here.

Good luck, looks like you have one fine pelt already. Winter is coming soon, so I too am getting excited to hunt these citters.

Nice pic!! At home one of our close family friends started trapping this year. I know he got one fox, multiple coon, skunk, possum, and a couple others i think. I saw a white weasel this weekend sitting in a deer stand on his property this weekend. That got him very excited.

Good luck trapping!!

Excellent work guys cool.gif

Most people don't realize the advances in trapping.

I've done several spring time pred control terms with the usfws. Since the feds still receive DU funding you would think they would adopt Delta's method's

Think of this every time you see a mink it will eat more ducks in a year than you will the average hunter will harvest.

Now add the effect skunks,fox,coons,otters,yotes have on hatch. Even the fish preferring otter will probably eat more.

The bottom line is no fur market/no incentive NO BIRDS We all just seen the effects of improperly educated "sympathetic" evaluation.

Good thing he is now educated...

Went trapping this year for the first time in about 20 years. Got lots of muskrats and a few minks. No coons yet.

I lost many of my muskrats due to warm weather? and bald eagles. I set trap so they drown and even double-set traps.

And, by the way, fox do eat pheasants...but very few. They mainly survive on mice and rabbits.

Hammerhandle you sound like farley Mowat when he was talking about what the wolves are eating in the book Never Cry Wolf. smile.gif:):)

Fox do not eat alot of ducks and pheasants once they are adults, however they are VERY VERY hard on the nests of these birds.

Here is a video that alot of you saw last year and more might want to view it this year, not posting this to pick on anyone, just so that you can draw your own conclusions about what the foothold trap is designed to do.

Great photos boys, I have been out just a little bit, setting for some beaver, rats, mink, ermine and fox. So far one ermine, a few rats, a fox and a beaver. Getting a slow start we have really really bad ice and 8-12 inches of snow on top of what ice there was, going to be a tough freeze up.

Fisherman22

Thanks for posting the link to that video. I watched it, and have to say I think the traps are really cool. I have absolutely no problem with trapping, except that personally, I wouldnt want the animal to sit there in any kind of pain until I was able to get to them. That video clip was really informational; it was cool to them holding those live fox with there bare hands!

Alaska must be a great place to trap, hopefully you will post some of your pelt pics of the up comeing season!

Skunks and coons are proven to be the worse on nest.

I forgot to list a newcomer to the north,the Opossum they have moved north. This one really specializes on eggs ground and tree nesters suffer.......

Knowing that snakes,raptors,fish,turtles and even certain gophers have a percentage of the nest disruptions they are minimal compared to mammals.

The "let outside domestic" cat is one that most dont like to admit being a problem.

Now if everyone shot a few fox,skunks and coons we would be better off.

Predators don't have a menu but the sure know when the dinner bells being rung.

Yep Skunks and coons are hard on nests i won't argue that.

The Allution Canada geese and the black Brandt geese here on the western coast of Alaska have had major issues with their nesting grounds being overrun by fox. Some of the islands where they nest people also thought would be great places to raise farm fox because they can not leave the island. Well the population boomed, the price of fox crashed and now there are tons of fox on an island eating out the nesting grounds of these two types of geese, with no one that wants to harvest them. The USFWS, and fish and game have in recent years sent trappers to some of these islands to take out as many of the fox as they can. Since they have been doing this, the population of these two species of geese are slowly starting to recover.

Pretty cool video. It's always good to educate ourselves even if your not a trapper but you owe it to yourself and wildlife to know how it's don't correctly.

Thanks for sharing.

mr smile.gif

Muthagoose, i forgot to mention I could agree with you a thousand times on the domestic cat. I think it's funny that people just let cats out to roam free. Their cats they are letting out are very hard not only on gamebirds but also on songbirds. There are leash laws for dogs, I feel the same should hold true for cats. (disclaimer: cat lovers take it easy on me with your rebuttals smile.gif)

Over the last few weeks while doing a lot of hunting, I saw a lot of domestic cats that have gone wild in the woods...unless they are romaing several miles away from home.

Sad.

A mallard had 10 little ones near our lakeshore. Slowly, one by one, they disappeared. I found some heads of the young ones in the grass. One morning while camping, the ducks made quite a noise. I went to the lake...and there was a cat with a dead duck....

There is a quick and easy way to take care of any cat problems. If I ever see them in the yard, I make sure they never return. shocked.gif

They kill all the songbirds at our bird feeders. We had a robin nesting on our porch, the babies were just about big enough to fly out of the nest, but one night were discovered by a cat - killed them all.

Ah yes the ditch tigers..LOL I sponsored that contest over on the fuge...Must say it really worked well.

The actual winner declined the prize stating "it was his duty as a sportsmen" To bad there are not more like foxtail...

When wild, they are hard to get (cats).

When one is gone, another takes its place.

This particular cat was involved in a bad accident this last fall....