• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Buck rack in full velvet!

Hoffer

I just spoke with a few of my buddies who are deer hunting in Ortonville. One of their party just harvested a 8 point buck in full velvet. It had a (Contact Us Please) - but no balls. Apparently they dont go into rut and rub the velvet off. I cant confirm this - but apparently they spoke with the DNR and they said that it is about a 1 in 10,000 occurance. Kind of cool. They will get some pics to send me - and if anyone knows how to help me post a pic - I will try to get one posted...

I was reading about a deer called "big nasty" in "The Little Book of Big Bucks" Vol 5. (deer and deer hunting magazine puts it out), it was shot in illinois, had 18 points on one side, and 21 on the other, grossed 290 6/8, was shot in DECEMBER, and was still in velvet. It is believed to be the largest velvet-clad buck ever shot. (Hunter was Rob Brennan if you're doing a search).

Anyway, apparently this buck had lost one testicle, and the other was severely damaged. So it never went into rut, and never rubbed off it's velvet. It kinda shrink-wrapped the horns. Plus the buck each year never went through the grueling rut process, so it didn't expend the energy. Therefore it had more energy for antler production. It looks like it has a bush growing on top of it's head. Truly amazing. Poor thing, probably got his package caught on a barb wire fence or somthing.