• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Williamson Fined By Vikes

zamboni

Williamson was fined his weeks pay for being unable to attend sundays game so he could go to his grandfathers funeral. This is the coldest thing I have heard to do to someone in a long time. Williamson isn't my personal fave Viking, but he has every right to go see his family and attend a funeral- when my last gradparent died, I was granted 2 days off with pay. This is just wrong

That's BS. Never heard of anything like that. I'm not a big fan of "O'l Allygator Arms" but he has a right to go the funeral and not be fined. Did Red come back this week to help them cheapen up or somethin?

He probably never asked in advance. Frankly this has happened many times in sports. I dont really have much sympathy for professional athletes.

By the way it was his maternal grandmother

If it wasnt in his contract, then they dont need to pay. Pro atheletes make way to much money, I dont feel sorry about him not getting paid for not being there. He only has to be to work 16 times a year, so if he has to miss one day of it for whatever reason, I am not going to be the one saying he is getting a raw deal.

On the other hand it is low of the Vikings to do this, but I dont blame them for it.

He was ok'd for the funeral he missed a game and then three more practices returning on Wednesday. My understanding he was called and told to return to the team otherwise he was going to continue to stay away. He was docked the weeks pay for not returning after the funeral. It also sounds like this might be the last straw and he may be released at the end of the season or traded to someone, anyone...

Quote:

Quote:

He only has to be to work 16 times a year,

Very incorrect

Theoretically in a way it is true! I know he has to be at practice, but he gets paid for what he does during the games.

This morning on Mike and Mike, they were a little hesitant to thrash the Vikings for this. One thing they brought up was the fact that Childress had a meeting with Williamson and he knew what his options were. Next, the use of the term fine may be wrong. He lost a game's pay for a game in which he was not there. Another thing brought up was a lot of times a grandmother is not considered immediate family. They also said it was unsure if this was a team rule or a league rule that he may have violated. In any case the player's union will step in for Williamson if they think something was wrong. There are a lot of things to consider beyond the headline. I would hope for a little more compassion from my employer, but it would be my decision if I knew where they stood and I would have to accept the consequences of my actions. With that being said, I have a lot of respect for Williamson for putting his family ahead of football. He has a grasp on the correct priorities.

Guess I see it this way...

I get Bereavement (sp) from my employer. That means I'm allowed to go to a funeral of certain relatives but it is without pay.

IMO... If Williamson wanted to attend the funeral, he should, and I am fine with that.

He shouldn't have been paid for that time off (but depends on company policy), but I think it is not right to fine him for that. Unless the fine was equivalent to the amount of time he missed, then it would be a wash.

In the world of pro sports, dramatic words are overused to dramatize certain situations. Ex.. "firing" a coach. In this case, he probably got the time off but he got paid for it and the team needed to recoup the money, hence the "fine". Looks better in the media that way. frown.gif

I'm sure Williamson will take it up and file a complaint with the player's association if he feels he was wronged and things will get smoothed out. Or he may say oh well, who needs $26K

I shouldn't pick on the guy, but it's sad that he makes more money for 3 hours of his life than I'll make this year when we can both catch the ball about as well grin.gifgrin.gif

Now they decided to pay Williamson as they should have been more flexible with the grieving process. He is going to donate the money to charity in memory of his grandmother.

And they already released Koy Detmer and for his three days of service he will be paid $42K. Must be nice!!!

Wow, Koy can pay his bills for another year for passing a physical and pretending he be a 3rd stringer. The Vikings are almost spending money like the U.S. government!

Koy Detmer 42k is what any vet with 10 years of service gets for 1/17 of a season. Not much the Vikes can do about that. Should also be noted that Williamson missed 9 days. But it sounds like between a lot of public and national pickup and a discussion with several veteran players and Chidress it was better to pay him. He will donate the money to charity If anything good came out of this it might be that the vets are projecting some unity and leadership. Something lacking with the Vikings I think.

Backstrokearama. Some stuff should be kept inhouse. It's further proof that chilly skipped management school.

The pay issue is resolved, but looks like the beginning of the end of williamsons dismal time with the vikes. Lots of wasted talent - all that speed and he can't get any seperation from the coverage. His kickoff returns are almost laughable. If you saw his first two kickoff returns vs the pack, he ran straight ahead, didn't even try to move laterally. The very second he met resistance, he folded like a $3 lawn chair. Cut him loose.....