• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Most Unique Deer I Have Ever Seen

Phill Aldahl

The Deer of a lifetime

This deer must have been in a lot of pain and probably glad he was shot. The antler actually grew out of his eye, and must have formed the knot afterwards. The eyeball is still in the deer's head just sunken back in his skull about 2 inches. Very unique. The hunter said he snuck up on his blind side.

IMG_2536.jpg

IMG_2533.jpg

IMG_2532.jpg

IMG_2531.jpg

IMG_2530.jpg

That is one in a million. Great pics!

To get a buck like that and then have the bonus antler. I hope you mount it this way.

This isn't my deer, my dad sent these pictures to me. It might be a guy that he works with I will have to talk with him some more and get the whole story.

Sorry, I just read you header.

I would say this buck was fighting with another and took a deep blow to the head and got stuck. I am sure he drug deer around, until antler feel off other deer.

I do not think it grew out of his head.

I could be wrong.

Still a very nice deer anyone to get a deer like this is lucky.

That is what it looks like to me too, Although the one sticking out of his eye would be a very unique racked deer as well.

I got that same e-mail last week. The story in my e-mail said that it was actually another antler growing out of his eye, not from getting stuck by another buck.

This is what was included with the e-mail:

Quote:

This deer must have been in a lot of pain and probably glad he was shot.

The antler actually grew out of his eye, and must have formed the knot

afterwards. The eyeball is still in the deer's head just sunken back in

his skull about 2 inches. Very unique. The hunter said he snuck up on his

blind side.

Thats what happens when the deer eat the fish out of the Mississippi River on a regular basis.

Quote:

How do you score that deer?

Huge deduction for not being the same on both sides. Now, if the other eye ball had an antler growing out of it.. We are talking about a Huge deer. Should have left it another year to grow smile.gifgrin.gif

So not only did the antler grow out of the eye socket, it grew backwards, and also a bloody stump just magically appeared.

It's pretty obvious what happened here.

cool.gif

I agree.

And it is still bloody. Someone may have fabricating this too. Good way to get your picture in the news.

Happens all the time.

I don't believe it....

if its real, id say this antler grew out under the eye socket because you look at the end and its like a drop tine and there is no base to it if it was another antler that went into the eye.

that is crazy. I have never seen something like that before. It looks like he was in a fight and lost the battle. That is very crazy picture.

not asking for exact info, but what area was that deer shot in? I showed my dad the pic and he was wondering where it was shot.

Thanks

Check out the thread in this forum that titled; MN CO Makes Great Shot to Save Monster Buck...it describes a live 14 point Buck locked to a dead 10 point Buck, and dragging it around. ooo.gif

He must be rigorred up for his head to stay up like that, also notice his front legs tucked under like he is resting, but his hind legs are sideways. Must have died in that position, and stiffened up...still looks like an antler went in, not out...but who knows...could the bloody and dangling stuff be velvet??? crazy.gif

If you study the photo - it really doesnt appear to be an antler from another deer that got stuck. I mean the antler coming out of the eye - (or really near is more like it) is very strangely shaped - not at all uniform like it would be if ithad come off another deer. The tine that is growing upward from the eye area looks like it has been pressing on the side of the face as it grew...it sure looks like a natural growth to me. As far as the "bloody stump" on the end...I think thats just part of the growth on this antler...I am sure we will hear more details on this story (I sure hope so!!)but my vote is very strong that it is a "natural growth" coming out from the eye area...and not part of an antler that got "torn off" from another deer....

I am with you on that observation. I think if it was indeed from another buck that it would have broken off a lot cleaner than it appears in the picture. And if it did come from another buck it would be a pretty unique deer judging by the one coming out of the eye.

I third it's a natural growth. That "bloody stump" is not what the end of an antler would even look like. They are connected directly to the skull plate, it would be a flat end, not hoof-like looking. Amazingly unique deer.

sorry I am not buying that it is growing out of his eye socket at all. Yes it is shaped weird but no way. (also it is easy to photoshop pics)

i have been looking at this for a day or two, and i would have to say that im 100% sure that it came from another deer. There is blood on the end of the horn that is going through the eye. it had to come from another buck.

Ya, you can see it’s infected. The whole snout is swollen up with infection. I am a 100% sure its another deer’s antler that hit a soft spot in this bucks scull and poked threw and a small tine on end of main beam it keeping it stuck in scull.

Also would the meat be good in a deer like this. With the infection, I would tend to think the blood was tainted.

Still a very nice deer and a great mounter. cool.gif

From what i see. It looks to be a natural growth. THis happens all the time just really bad luck for this deer. The right side is swollen, It lookes that the antler grew between the skin and skull finally coming out of the easiest path which was the eye opening.

I have seen many pictures of deer with hunks of velvet still on their antlers and that looks pretty similar.

As i believe someone had refered to. THere was a story already this year that a buck had another hooked to his antlers and he couldnt get it off without someone shooting it off. I have seen video of this before too.

And your saying that the antler lodged so deeply that it broke off another deers antler and didnt kill the deer.

And not to mention that would be a very odd buck.

Just my 2 cents

If a buck ever got another buck's antler lodged into its face, it would rip out of its face before it ever ripped out of the skull of that other buck. Not to mention, that is not at all what it would look like on the base if it indeed broke off from another deer.

Antler connected to skull - rock solid. Antler stabbed in face, not solid.

This is clearly some crazy growth, oddly shaped as well.

Both you guys bring up good points. I do not know enough about antler growth.

I do not see the guy in image handling antler, so how does one know if it is rock solid. How could a deer live that long with a blind side. Would this occur every year or possibley just once. How would it shed off of face.

I guess I do not sit well with a blow to the brain and the deer still living after.

I would like to hear from this guy about what was found after it was further checked out. Or I guess go with what the e-mail stated "its a growth"