• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

deer decoys

north red river

Quote:

NO. Only during Archery.

I don't think this is right. I do not believe there are any restrictions on gender of decoy at any time during any of the deer seasons.

I think decoys can be used any season just do so at your own risk. I haven't used one, but would not even think of doing so during 3B!

I'm fairly certain, almost 100 percent positive you can use when in any open hunting season or leave it out 24/7, 365 if I am not mistaken. Never read a regulation saying otherwise. Agreed that its not the wisest thing to do during open gun seasons, even on private land. If you do so, make dang sure everyone who could be there knows you have one out and it wouldn't hurt to spraypaint orange blotches on it or mark it with lots of orange tape. Shouldn't spook the deer.

Either way, I will never use one again. I have one out archery hunting in SE MN and I had a gentleman stalk my decoy and shoot it with an arrow. I will be honest; it speaks very highly of the decoy, but not for our fellow hunter. I was in a stand 7 ft away from the guy when he drew his bow. I didn't stop him because it was far more amusing watching his embarrassment as he reached for a second arrow after the decoy didn't fall or run away. The guy then laughed and apologized to me. Unfortunately, he wrecked my spot as he had scrambled out to kill the monster doe with his jeans and tennis shoes. I surely wouldn't use it during gun season and would be skeptical during muzzleloader. I still think it is against the law, but like you said, I couldn't find it in the regs one way or the other.

Thought I heard something on the radio today that someone was shot while moving a deer decoy.