• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Watch out grouse!

uplander

Well zone 2 deer hunt ends Sunday. I hope you all had your fun and shot your deer,but now it's time to get down to some more serious matters....Like some late season grouse hunting!.....No snow yet! That's good news for us uplanders. Late season can be a challenge, birds seem to group up again, so you can hunt a while with no action...then hit the jackpot in a 5 acre area.. I will trade in the double barrel for something that holds more shells since woodcock will be off limits..Then I will try to put some more holes in the sky and maybe a few in some grouse......Any of you zone 2 guys see alot of birds?.....If so give em up..you know your to tired to go chase em....plus you used your kitchen pass for deer hunting.lol..just wondering if anyone saw a bunch...I'll be out next Tues ....Can't wait....uplander

I was their 3 days and saw 5 one day, and 4 another. It was awsome, the ones that puff up and spread their tail feathers.

I saw more grouse than deer in my zone 2 area. I'm hoping to get up there in the next 2 weeks to do some ruffie hunting.

Well my dog is still in recovery from pheasant hunting the other day but she'll be ready for Tuesday. Be nice to get out in the woods when you can see your breath for a change.

Well we couldn't see our breath today but the hunting was good. Birds held nicely for team setter, despite the use of bells and yells. 8-9 birds pointed nicely and 3 went home with the team...........Nice work team!

It was a good day in the woods and not bad for 3 hours of hunting, plenty of bird contact and for once they cooperated. however my shooting was sub par.

I was 2 for 4 which is huge this year for me. Nice to be turning it around as the season winds down.. Think I have a couple more outings in me. The mrs. may not see it that way but she hasn't liked it the firt 12 times I've went either....whats a couple more?

What area of the state in zone 2 did you guys end up hunting? I'd like to buzz back up to Mille Lacs WMA in zone 1 again...went up there the 1st weekend in Oct for a few hours and saw 5 and got 3. Ticks were terrible though! I'd like to try it one more time.

Sounds good me boy! I'm already getting excited for next fall...it will be the first year with my new English Setter pup in the field with me.

Might be heading out next Tues. Always room for one more setter guy MM.. If you care to go and see a couple older setters work....and get the pup out too!!! Let us know.. you probably work, but should take the day off.....work is highly over rated! Plus the season is getting short now frown.gif Give us a shout on this sight if you can go...Setter guy or me...We'll get back to you......uplander

Yes, work is extremely overrated. I'm just bumming because I used all my PTO chasing roosters around in western MN. Good times, but you can never take enough time off for hunting. Probably won't be able to make Tuesday, but I would like to see some other setters work in the field sometime. Maybe I'll have to cruise up that way for a few hours on Sunday or something. I'm still trying to decide when to introduce Clyde to gunfire. I brought him out to my hunting shack for pheasants, and he rode around in the car while my 13 year old brittany and I would hunt thickets. At the time he was only about 13 weeks old, but a few spots I let him out, too...I thought...maybe if he gets out a ways I'll crack off a shot. Well, the brush was to thick at the time and he turned into a boot polisher. And no way was that going to work...the last thing I needed was for Britt to get up a bird and me shoot with Clyde at my feet, so I decided to bring him back to the truck. Now he's 17 weeks and growing fast! Probably take to cover better now...still just wondering if I should take him out before Jan 1 or wait til next year! Okay, back to work.

If you do take him out on wild birds this year I wouldn't bring a gun. Just let him run and hunt with out the pressure of having to actually shoot something..If he points one,great you are on your way for next year....Good luck MM you are gonna love him...........uplander

Yes I went out for just a couple hrs....had three birds pointed, didn't connect on any.....would have liked a little more of a breeze...Oh well maybe next week if the weather holds

Uplander-you open for the day after Thanksgiving? I put in a call to setterguy, but I haven't heard back from him yet. I was planning on heading to the Mille Lacs area with my son, but he's got plans with the girl friend. So it looks like it's just me and my setter. Shoot me an email if your interested joemmn(at)yahoo.com

Joe - Got your message last night, I've been having some phone problems and finally got them figured out. Rob is a wussy and has to stay home and babysit family from out of town. I may be going out with another buddy of mine, we are going to nail down details today. What time are your plans today? You can call me anytime, or I could call you if I knew it wasn't right during dinner.

Well, I wasn't planning on heading out too early. Belinda the weather goddess says it's going to be chilly, but she also said there may be some sun early. Might catch a few of them grouse sunning themselves along the trail. Give me a call in the morning if your planning on heading over that way.

I didn't see your message till right now, we had moderate success today. 6 birds pointed, one in the bag. Hunted for about 3 hours. Any action up your way? We were North and East of your location.

Since I was alone and never hunted the area before I spent most of my time getting a lay of the land. I stuck to the trails mostly and the one and only grouse the dog pointed came when I decided to bust some brush. Unfortunately it was too thick to swing the gun in that direction.

We'll have to try and hook up here soon, I'd like to see Tia and Kenai in the woods together.