• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

rust on gun

eggdish

Question

i took two guns hunting in south dakota last week and when we got back yesterday i found out one of our coolers must have leaked and my gun case was frozen solid. i had my backup gun in the case and it now has alot of rust on it. it is an 870 express with the rougher finish on it. what can i do to remove the rust without damaging the finish on the gun?

10 answers to this question

DEEP CREEP Its made by Sea Foam,you can get it at any automotive store. It works great!!

WD40. I don't use it much on guns as it is not a good long term lubricant; but it works great for removing rust and it won't trash the finish. I can't speak for the Deep Creep.

The local gunsmith that replaced the dustcover on my wifes 742 woodsmaster told me thats all he uses to lube the guns he works on.

If it won't wipe off with WD40 or Sheath and a rag then you will need to find some Brass Wool. It is like steel wool but brass and soft. You would need to use 3 in 1 oil and rub it gently on the bluing to remove the surface rust. Take your time when doing this so you don't remove the bluing.

If it gets pitted then I would take it in to a gunsmith and have them blue it again.

i ended up using 0000 steel wool and gun oil and rubbing very lightly. it took over two hours and i had to do it three times but i think i got it all off. i tried it with rags first but the rust gets into the small crevices in the finish and won't rub off. i called a gunsmith in buffalo and he told me about the steel wool and it worked. not to rip on anyone, but he also said to never use wd40 for cleaning or lubricating your gun.

I have heard a lot of positive things about Corrosion X for protecting firearms against rust. Wont help remove rust though.

I agree to not using WD40 to lube the gun (it gums up and turns to turpentine) but it is very effective in rust removal. You just have to follow up with good quality lube afterwards.