• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
hill7410

Bushings and pins for driver door?

Question

hill7410

97' GMC Jimmy and my door is in desperate need of help before the winter comes around. The door drops pretty bad so i think the hinges might be messed up too. Does anybody know someone around the st. Cloud area that can do this for a pretty good price?

Thanks.

8 answers to this question

Scott K

Any body shop will do this for you, cheaper and better then a regular shop, I hated when customers brought these in, eventually we just sent them all to the body shop, they did them quick, and they liked doing them.

Jeremy airjer W

Any body shop should be extremely familiar with you situation.

Shack

Is hinges welded on or bolted on (jam mounting and door mounting)? Is pin crushed at top and bottom or is it free floating?

You may be able to buy new pins and grind out old ones and drop in replacements. Do this hinge one at a time, so door does not have to come off all the ways.

Now if there is no replacement drop in pin, the hinges have to be replaced. If this is the case, a body shop will have a door jig that will help hold door in place and allow for proper align. of door (nothing like slapping on new hinges and have the door not aligned, back to square one).

Third case, welded on. You all around best bet is it find a good body, with a lower hourly rate. Some time they have a set fee for things like this. Go to a couple body shops and get a couple of estimates to see which place has best price. You might want to for go painting to save many (hinges come unpainted or primer).

Short of that, I do not know of any other repair cheap to fix you concern.

Good luck!

Jeremy airjer W

There a bolt in. The Bushings press in with a tool after the pin has been removed with a tool. Typically the owner waits to long and the pin will wear all the way through the bushing and into the metal part of the hinge itself. The new hinges need to be painted to match so off to the body shop they go!

PierBridge

Depending on how bad they are you may be able to bend or realign the door so at least the door closes better its a short term fix though.

IFallsRon

I know that Martin's body shop on the east side replaces bushings. My brother-in-law looked there before going to Gilleland. Can't remember what he said it cost, but I think it was between $120-150.

chickeywing

I replaced the pins and bushings on my '93 this summer. As already discussed, I waited too long and the pin 'stretched' the holes in the hinges. It's better but not perfect. The parts are less then $20 at any parts store. Open the window and hang the door with a couple of straps from the rafters in the garage before you remove the pins. The tough part is getting the spring back where it belongs. It's under plenty of tension so be careful.

hill7410

i took you advice and went to martins body shop, i was in and out in under 30 minutes, very helpful and knowledgeable. very reasonable too.