• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bleating doe?

Shack

I figure I would post in the Archery area and see what you guys think on my situation. I had some good answers in Bear and deer area, but it was agreed upon to post over here and see what you guys say.

My main question is should I take doe or let it go for a decoy?

Here is my posts in order.

Quote:

I have one doe this weekend that was bleating loud and constant. It was mostly in the A.M. and she was not moving far from where she was at (which was not a good area for a shot all together).

My question is, is this a sign of a buck being around or not? This is the first year I have heard a deer make noises like this (only noise I heard before was the snorting/cleaning nose). Why does it make theses noises? Is it warning off other does or calling a near by buck in. Is it a sign of early rut action or just something they do all year? I am sure I could read back in past years to find out, but I would like to put a game plan together and I am busy today at work.

I have heard from people near by and bow hunters of a large 12 and 14 bucks in area. As far as a small 4 pointer, these are the only bucks that have been seen in area. The problem is I think the bucks only move at night, because rut is not on us. They have a 250-300 archery area for them selves with tons of does around.

I think I am going to get some Whitcombs urine and do some mock scrapes and maybe try some calling. I would like to lure them into the area I hunt. I have seen rub marks and scrapes close to my stand and I would just like them to pop out during day.

Quote:

Ya. I do agree with the scrapes. I have only had luck pulling does out of hiding with doe urine and a trail of the stuff from a wooded area into an open field and dusk.

I would like to do some calling for the big bucks. Would you guy’s recommend a doe bleat or a buck grunt in this situation? Or not calling. Again this action is happening in a birch island 200-300 yards north of me. I am looking to lure them closer in by my stand. With the wind yesterday, I just gave up and figured I would wait until wind was going south.

I thought about posting this in the Archery area and see what those guys would say.

Also I have a couple tags, would recommend not taking doe to help lure buck in. Or lure doe in and take doe and call for buck?

Quote:

The bleat I am hearing is a long blueaaaa. It sounds just like the noise those round cans make when you tip them up side down.

The only reason I state this is because I have seen a very small doe in area (possible fawn), but these noises are coming from a much large doe. I have not seem them together yet. Google, I never thought as it as a cry for the fawn. Maybe it is.

She bleats about once an hour starting around 8:00 am and ending about 1 or 2 p.m... If this helps.

Shack, you know lol, seriously my uncle Carl he swears that shooting a doe in estrous, tagging it dragging it too a good spot and leave it there for scent is the best buck lure avalable. 2 years ago, he shot a doe, did this, 30 minutes later he shot a real nice 10 pointer sniffing the dead does rear end. and then well kind of off topic, but retrieve the bladder and viola freshest doe pee available!