• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

newbie!

Meaney

Ok, so I have GUN hunted forever and a day. Next year I REALLY want to get into Bow Hunting. I have heard that Mathews is the best to get....but pretty spendy. What is a good midrange bow to buy, hopefully not having to spend anymore than $500.00

I just talk to so many people that say getting a deer with a bow is so much more fulfilling, so I would love to get into it! Thanks for the help....

grin.gif

the best thing to do is to start looking and trying! the guys will get you pointed to a good archery shop; go there and start shooting different bows!( try different brands) they can not only help you find a bow that is in your price range,feels good ,plus get it set up for you and help with learning how to shoot. don't be afraid to look at used bows either.take your time , and have fun! grin.gif del

I am a solid Mathews fan but with that being said, as posted above, check out many different companies. There are many good brands out there. Many will state theirs is the best but they all work well.

Shoot as many different ones as you can and see which fits and feels the best and go from there. A good archery shop will also be able to help you along with what you really need and not just to sell you a pile of unneeded goods.

Ask many questions here and you will find the help that you are looking for to find a good bow to shoot.

Del pretty much said it all.

Good luck.

Thanks guys, that gets me a good starting point. Im sure I will be back with more questions later wink.gif

Quote:

If you're in Rcohester, go to Archery Headquarters and talk to Marty.

There's the best advice you can get, finding a local, reputable dealer. I guarantee you'll be going back 4 or 5 times with different problems and questions so you need to find someone you're comfortable with and is close by. You can probably save a few dollars by ordering a bow over the internet but spending the money at a local dealer will pay off huge in the long run.

I realize one can buy a bow on the internet for less maybe but, I do believe that the local dealer will be much more helpful if you purchase all your bow stuff from his shop. It may cost you an extra hondo but the service will be great.

Another plus is you will know exactly what you are buying at the archery shop if you purchase a used one which would be fine to start out with versus the unknow with a used one fron that online auction store.

I just got into bowhunting last year and after the first two months became a fanatic and decided that I was done gun hunting...at least rifle, I might start muzzy hunting next.

I got a great package deal on a Bear Element bow, w/ hard case, Patriot release, TruGlo Quiver and sights, whisker biscuit, and 6 arrows (plus a free hat) for $459 last fall.

It was a great way to start although I'm constantly researching and trying new products and probably have somewhere closer to $800 in the total package now. New arrows, fletchings, broadheads, quiver, release, silencers, limb savers, stabilizer, string stopper....

Warning: Bowhunting is highly addicting and will take over your free time and day dreams!!

I bought my bow online, but I have been hunting for a number of years and new what I wanted. You will definitely want to do some research, shoot a bunch of bows. Just some names to throw out there:

Ross bows,

Mission Bows (by Matthews).

Fred Bear Instinct or Truth.

I did research last year on this same thing, I was sold on the Fred bear Instinct, then I shot the Mission and really liked that, then I shot a Matthews Switchback XT, and well the rest is history. Shoot a lot of bows, there are some real good ones in your price range. Don't feel like you have to spend a ton, but also remember that the accessories can easily run you another $150-$300 depending on what you want to go with it.

Meany- be carefull what you wish for... Bowhunting is the most addicitive thing I have ever done... Awesome...

As for getting started.. a pro-shop will be the best place to start. Look at the different items, try a few, and make a list of all the things that you are going to need... Unfortunatly, things add up pretty quick. With that said, you can also get by fairly cheep as well, and still have decent equipment.

Dont get caught up in the NAME brand wars, a bow that fits you is much more important that what it says on the side of the bow. Upper end bows can run into that $800 range, and thats for the bare bow.. Take your budget and spend it wisely... figgure out what is important to you and spend your money on that... For me, Bow, Sight, Case, arrows are the most important in that order.... from there, its adding bells and whistles.. which some are important.. damaning stabilizers are very nice for instance!