• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ignorance.

trailratedtj

Well yes Stand up and holler your legislature will hear you!.......... yeah ........ RIGHT.......... remember constitutional amendment for funding .. sure the laws will get changed LOL and you can bet who will side on the premise off not changing it .. your own beloved DNR... Well when I drop a duck out in the marsh in Minnesota I motor out stop the motor throw the dog out she swims for awhile and then we quit the whole chirade and moter back to the blind .... because it is pointless to motor out uncase the gun load the gun bird dives unload the gun recase the gun motor some more( repeat procees un till you all realize the futiltiy ) I just want to look like I made an effort to the CO's and all the tippys out there, but had a close call a few years ago with that whole uncase and load deal and its not worth getting shot by accidental discharge. So I never chase a cripple on the water with the idea I am goin to try to shoot it. If the dog can't get it if I get her close ... forget it. Thats why I hunt in ND and SD where the law makes sense.. By the way all this law stuff didn't stopp a bunch of hoodlums from motoring by me up north a month ago stopping the moter and shouldering a loaded uncased firearm and shooting at birds that weren't crippled so much for the law

I had a similar incident a couple years back. Generated alot of discussion on these message boards and people have mixed opinions. To me, I think a couple bad apples ruin it for everyone.

If everyone out there would do the right thing, like genuinely going after cripples and not driving around in the boat rallying ducks and such, laws like this would not be an issue.

I for one wish the law would help increase your chances of recovering a crippled bird but laws are laws and sometimes you find that out the hard way. Luckily for me, the CO who caught me chasing a cripple with an uncased unloaded gun, issued just a warning. Since that time I always do it legally and will put in 100% effort to get the duck, even if that means me stopping motor, uncasing, loading 100 times. Until I can't see the duck anymore, I wont stop trying. I know a couple years back with a canoe, I chased down 2 geese running/swimming across sheet ice and water on the river for over an hour and half. Dangerous situation because the ice was to thick to paddle through, and not quite thick enough to walk on. I would hope everyone else also tries to get cripples to the best of their ability.

In my neck of the prairie I don't hunt divers nearly as much as yous guys do, so I'm not as experienced at cripple chasing. We mostly shoot puddlers here and don't need a boat to get the cripples. A dog or a second shot normally takes care of them.

Trairatedtj, yeah it sucks that you have a fine to pay. I must say tho, that it takes a real man to stand up and say,"I screwed up." and not whine about the fact that you got caught. Kudos to ya.

Guys, the DNR does not make law. The state legislature makes the laws. If you want them changed contact your reps, local MWA chapters, local DU chapters, etc, and lobby for change.

The legislature makes the rules? Oh really?!? Hm i didn't know they were so intunes to the phone book we have for regulations now esp fishing regs special slots and the such. Who the heck you think proposes all of these goofy rules? special slots special regs ? I give you the DNR we should be allowed to do a whole lot of thinks that we can do now... layout boat hunting access coridors to water on WPAs and WMA for boat access we would all spread out.

Such a smart aleck reply doesnt' deserve a response, but the other guys on FM do, so here we go.

Yes, the legislature makes the laws. The DNR proposes laws, but the legislature makes them. You want them changed? Contact your rep, if you're old enough to vote. Got some ideas??? Let them know. Got some good ideas?? Hit up the MWA and DU and PF as they have strong lobby.

Or, you can make bitter smart alack remarks on the internet and no one will take you seriously. You decide.

Quote:

The legislature makes the rules? Oh really?!? Hm i didn't know they were so intunes to the phone book we have for regulations now esp fishing regs special slots and the such. Who the heck you think proposes all of these goofy rules? special slots special regs ? I give you the DNR we should be allowed to do a whole lot of thinks that we can do now... layout boat hunting access coridors to water on WPAs and WMA for boat access we would all spread out.

WHAT?

Try proof-reading.

Quote:

In my neck of the prairie I don't hunt divers nearly as much as yous guys do, so I'm not as experienced at cripple chasing. We mostly shoot puddlers here and don't need a boat to get the cripples. A dog or a second shot normally takes care of them.

Trairatedtj, yeah it sucks that you have a fine to pay. I must say tho, that it takes a real man to stand up and say,"I screwed up." and not whine about the fact that you got caught. Kudos to ya.

Guys, the DNR does not make law. The state legislature makes the laws. If you want them changed contact your reps, local MWA chapters, local DU chapters, etc, and lobby for change.

i appreciate that boiler.

Quote:

Yes, the legislature makes the laws. The DNR proposes laws, but the legislature makes them. You want them changed? Contact your rep, if you're old enough to vote. Got some ideas??? Let them know. Got some good ideas?? Hit up the MWA and DU and PF as they have strong lobby.

That is correct. I believe the DNR does "write" them so to speak but they must pass through the legislative process and be signed by the governor.

Us catfisherman have been working closely with the DNR on changing the length restrictions on bullheads for bait for a couple years now. I know for a fact this has to go through the legislature.

Its not going to be easy to be heard as one voice, and one voice alone will not change a law. Thats why its best to work with a group that has the lobbying ability like DU, PF, etc.

In regards to the crippling of birds. It obviously can't be totally avoided but work your birds in close and make accurate shots. Your cripple to kill ratio will go down! Couple folks were riding me about picking on skybusters a little earlier in the season. Well???? If you skybust and take marginal shots, you will cripple birds. Thats the way it is. Most cripples can be followed up with a shot or two on the water and thats that.

If you are taking longer, marginal shots, birds will get crippled and sail on you and you won't be able to follow them up with a kill shot on the water. Now its your job to chase them down and retrieve the crippled bird the legal way.

While writing this, I can tell my opinion is not going to be popular with those who have posted already but the easiest way to retrieve a cripple is to not have to retrieve one. Letting the birds work close, good shooting, and holding off on marginal shots will go a long way to insure you don't have to chase a crippled bird.

I understand you can't totally avoid getting a cripple here and there. It happens. I know. It happens to me as well, especially with divers. I just think if this is a constant problem for you, there are things you can do different to help kill more birds dead.

I agree with you hanson!

I am tired of the "it's a stupid law, so I break it" or "the DNR is full of (Contact Us Please), I know what is best".

The truth is, a few bad apples ruin it for all. They had to make this a law because of the (Contact Us Please) who drive around in their boat and shoot ducks. "Oh, we had a cripple in there."

It is just like speeding. Go flying down the road if you want, but if you get a fine or hurt someone, pay the price. Chase cripples if you want with your motor on, but if you get called in or caught...pay the price. Hopefully the money wil go to a good cause.

Don't sit at home and blame the system. Let your voice be heard, but remember, the law was made for a reason. Blame the (Contact Us Please) chasing ducks with a boat...not the law and the DNR.

And, be sure of your shot. Some may be wounded, but most should be dead.

Michael, so you say it is safer to motor around with a loaded gun chasing ducks then uncasing it...loading...and shooting?

And, a piece of paper will not stop (Contact Us Please) from breaking the law. But, it can fine them if they get caught. Did you call TIP? You should have. THEY are the ones that put this law in place.

Blame them.

Like it or not, the state is pretty clear that you may not transport a firearm on, or in, a motor vehicle unless it is unloaded and cased. That applies to Cars, Boats, ATVs, OHVs, etc. Unless I'm completely mistaken, if it has a motor, you better case and unload your weapon.

The law(s) is more than likely designed to be uniformly enforced and in the interest of safety. Having a loaded, uncased firearm in any kind of moving motor vehicle runs a high risk of something accidentally happening.

Quote:

While writing this, I can tell my opinion is not going to be popular with those who have posted already but the easiest way to retrieve a cripple is to not have to retrieve one

Dude, So true!!! Hey, we've all made cripples and not been able to retrieve them. Ok, maybe not all of us but I sure have. I've dropped woodies into the cattails to never be found. I've dropped cans into the water to have them dive away. I've dropped mallards into the yuck and not found them......and it sucks. Hanson is totally correct. Good shots make less cripples. Let's do what we can to get the cripples, but let's all make an honest effort to make less cripples, even if it means watching a duck fly away.

trust me i hate having to the drag the boat out, id love to lower the number of cripples, to much work unhiding the the boat then rehiding, getting in it and back out. plus i have to maneuver around the decoys.