• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

need help for GPS

Mike89

Question

I'm looking into buying my first GPS. I see some on sale and I'm looking at the Lowrance ifinder Explorer Plus for 199.99 or just the Exporer for 169.99. are these units as good as I hope? Is there something else I should be looking at? My main use would be fishing spots, summer but more winter, confused.gif the rest would be just for fun. Thanks in advance!

Mike

9 answers to this question

I have the Lowrance h2oC with a lakemaster chip and love it. I use it in my boat, my truck, on ATV rides etc. Very versatile and easy to use.

I also would go with the h20 if in your position. you can get the black and white, which is really easy on batteries for $130 and then find a used lakemaster chip for pretty cheap

If i am not mistaken the Explorer is exactly the same as an H2O but it might have some extra features. Most people only think the H2O is good for fishing, but like i said the EXPLORER IS EXACTLY THE SAME< AND WILL TAKE THE SAME CHIPS AS THE H2O. Look on the big online auction site and you could come up with a great deal on an Explorer, maybe even a color one!

Quote:

Look on the big online auction site and you could come up with a great deal on an Explorer, maybe even a color one!

The "color Explorer" would be the 'ExpeditionC.' That's the one I own, and love it.

Thanks for all your replys. I appreciate all your help, I'm thinking I'll be going with the explorer. Mike

I've been doing some shopping too as my Garmin Legend unit is acting up. Looking at the Lowrance iFinders but also the Garmin Rhino units. The Garmins are more spendy but are pretty rugged. My Legend has been abused for 5-6 years; water, mud, bouncing around the bottom of my Otter sled. It still works fine except the jog stick is a little flaky at times. I don't know which has better mapping software in general. The Lowrance lake maps can't be beat, not sure about topo and other general mapping. It's worth considering the Garmin as well.

I have had the H2O and now have the Explorer and they are not exactly the same. The Explorer has the "electronic compass" function that the H2O does not. This feature comes in real handy once you learn how to use it.