• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dogs chasing bikes!!!!!

hoggs222

I've got a blackmouth cur and a lab, both around 3 years old. They constantly run along the back privacy fence barking at bikes that ride on the other side. I've corrected them out there by catching them in the act, but they don't stop. It drives me nuts.

Any suggestions?

electric shock collar. Might be a little expensive for two dogs but I promise you it'll definetly get there attention and think twice about chasing kids on bikes.

mr

I forgot to mention that I have used the shock collars. They don't seem to remember the shock once they see a bike.

The shock collar is the only way to solve it. If you can spend an afternoon with it, I would think it can be taken care of. Have some kids ride their bike by, and the very second the dogs take off running or barking, give them a little knick. Next time the kids come by, do it again. And over and over, increasing in intensity every couple times. Eventually the dogs will learn that every time they bark or chase a bike, they are going to get zapped. 9 times out of 10 a problem with a dog is due to inconsistency.

i kinda had the same problem but it was with the neighbors coming home. everytime they arrived my dog would take off to greet them. my best attack was to catch him right when the turned to come down the street. When he saw them i would make him sit and if he so he flinched towards their way i would bust him with the collar. Now when they come home he sits and watches them. Every once in a while he'll break and when he does ill crank the intensity and then pop him one good time and he halts and marches his way back to where he should be. it took and while and he's still not perfect but the collar has deffinately been the best tool.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Put the dog on a lead and at heal.

Have the kids ride by. The INSTANT the dog starts to react correct the dog. The idea is to stop his focus on the riders immediately. Repeat over and over.