• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Transmission Fluid

Mid-Lake Rock

Question

My girlfriend has a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 143,000 miles that we just took out of storage. She only drives it in the winter. It is paid for and she will not spend a lot of money on it because she only uses it for a few months each year.

The Jeep leaks some transmission fluid. I don't know a lot about transmissions and leave my tranny to the experts. However, can I ad fluid to this vehicle at the point where the dipstick is located?

Thank you to everyone in advance for your answers. Good luck to everyone with fall fishing, birds, small game, and deer.

4 answers to this question

Thats the spot!

It looks like like vehicle requires Chrysler ATF 7176 or Aftermarket ATF + 3 or Equivalent. I would not reccomend the use of DEXRON ATF as it can cause a shudder problem.

You have to start car and warm up motor, put parking brake on and place transmission in Neutral. Check levels where it says Cold.

I don't know if you can still find ATF+3, Chrysler updated to ATF+4 and it's fully compatible backwards.

If you live close I have few quarts of new ATF+3 I can give you, I don't need them anymore

Thanks Airjer and Valv. I'm going to check what type of fluid my gal has for the vehicle. Valv, I'll PM you if I need to get some fluid. Thanks for the offer!

Good point Valv. ATF +4 will work as well. We use a product called versa trans by kendall and have seen no problems after about 2 years of using this product. it covers just about everything. Last time I was in SA there where still bottles of +3 on the self so somebody must still be trying to get rid of it.