• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Left eye dominant/right handed shooter

anchor man

I have become a terrible wing shooter over the years due to my left eye dominance-right handed shooting. Has anyone learned some good ways to overcome this? Switching to left handed is my last resort and was hoping to learn a few trick from any fellow cross-handed shooters.

Thanks

I am the same way, and all I can say is you really need to concentrate on birds moving from left to right. My left eye takes over and I end up shooting behind them most often. On birds moving from right to left, I think it actually helps me, because generally I don't lead them enough. If you can switch to being a left-handed shooter, go for it, but I have tried and for me it is virtually impossible. One thing I have done to help is close my left eye. I always shot with both eyes open, but once I found this out at my daughters Fire Arm Safty Class, I started closing my left eye and it definately helps.

Hope it helps,

DL

Anchor man... I feel your pain. I struggled mightily when I was young to shoot and the figured out it was because of my dominant left eye....starting shooting left handed...best decision I made. Sorry, no tricks for me, but switching to shooting left handed has made all the difference...the only big issue is lack of gun selection for us lefties!!

I don't have any great tips for you except get out and practice at a range and see what works for you. Its like when someone asks you 'how far do you lead a duck'? I don't know you need to just go out and practice. I also have the left eye dominance/right shooting thing, I found out a few years ago but after shooting for 35 years and killing my share of game I didn't feel like changing. Shooting is a confidence thing, along with some patience. Practice until you're confident. On pheasants, get past that rush that causes you to miss. I hunted with a guy last night that should have had three pheasants, but he missed everyone, he readily admits that the first shot is a waste shot - he rushes to much. Next time I will be hunting closer to him so I can back him up, but thats another story. Practice until you're confident, then get out there and bang away, don't think so much.

I'm cross dominant myself and like posted above I've been doing it for too many years to switch now. I really haven't noticed it to be too much of a problem. I just shut my left eye.

I did see a waterfowl video once where the guy put a small mark in the lower left corner of his glasses(left eye)with some chapstick. He claimed his left eye would try to focus on the smudge of chapstick allowing him to aim with his right. Might be something to try.

Your "Last Resort" will be your best...

I too was a right handed shooter left eye dom!... I was a horrible shot.. better with a bow than I was shotgun... anyway.. Just took the time and made the switch... Best thing I ever did... think about it.your stronger arm is now your aim arm... best thing ever!

Agreed, make the switch, I'm lefty now and I shoot a side ejection 1187 and I do not notice a thing. As everyone should though, I wear protective eye wear at all times, just in case.

On the plus side, think about two guys in a duck blind:

A righty on the left/back can cover all the way around the back and up to the middle. You as a lefty on the right/front can swing all the way around the front. It's great coverage.

Chris

I would try squinting the left eye, not closing it. I have been very successful doing this with the same problem. Also, you can put a sticker on your shooting glasses over the middle of the lense. i have heard if you do this consistently you can train your eye...but I dont know if this works.

I agree, go shoot some trap and train yourself. As I said earlier, it came be overcome.

I'm right handed but left eye dominant, so I shoot left handed. It should seem natural. not sure why guys have problems but I have always done it that way since I was 4.

I'm like CSG.

Been shooting left handed forever.

I think I started shooting early enough in life, that I couldnt hold the gun up with me left arm, shooting right handed, so switched to holding the gun up with my stronger right arm, and my eye followed.

I'm right handed, but shoot pool, guns left handed, but shoot archery Right handed.

Have never owned a left handed gun, havent really seen the need, or actually, what the fuss is all about.

once in a while shooting trap, I may notice a little unburned powder flying by, but never even see the shells eject.

My rifles are all right handed bolt actions also. Yes, it can be cumbersome, but I try to make the first shot count. wink.gif

i shoot left handed bow and firearms but am right handed

i found out as a young kid that i was left eye dominant and taught myself to shoot lefty. It was not that hard because i was real young. I would tell anyone who is helping a new shooter out to have them check their eye dominancy because it is way easier to learn right from the beginning.

Quote:

I did see a waterfowl video once where the guy put a small mark in the lower left corner of his glasses(left eye)with some chapstick. He claimed his left eye would try to focus on the smudge of chapstick allowing him to aim with his right. Might be something to try.

I haven't tried the "smudge" trick, but I will be giving that a try now! I have always found something somewhat transparent and cover the left lens on my glasses. Wax paper works well for this. I'd like to try the smudge trick because that would give me a better field of view after the shot vs. the wax paper. Thanks for that info.